Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After derbi I have my doubts about if Giuly (in his present form) is good enough to play in Barca. I absolutelly loved this guy at Monaco and applauded his transfer to Barca. But now I don't know. He has only one job to do - cross or shot from right flank. That's it. And he can't, he needs far too many tries to score. Maybe we must play more versalite player, who can contribute more on the field... I'm beginning to miss Luis Garcia (have you seen his beautyful blast in Juve match? :horny: )
I really hope Ludo will improve - otherwise I can'e see his future at Camp Nou :scared:

·
Registered
513 Posts
First - stop making so much conclusions after this game - "Valdes is not good enough", "Belleti isn't our RB" now "after this game Giuly this or that"

Second - In fact Giuly is not good enough, or at least Luis Garcia is better. Or even Maxi, we are playing better with Maxi instead of Giuly.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Well, he's not a bad player, but he has been under my expectations. I don't think that he improved the team in the right wing. Luis García wasn't a big deal either, but at least he was more efficient on goal. I think that he's out of position anyway, he doesn't seem a real wing (like Joaquin, for example), he played in the center with Monaco, if I'm not wrong. He's fast, but he can dribble and his crosses are average. The thing that disappointed me the most is the lack of effectiveness to score.

He's not a bad player, but I think that Barça could/should improve in the right wing.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I don't know about more efficient, in terms of goals at least. Garcia scored 8 for us, and Giuly currently has 7. I'd like to think he can get at least a couple more before the season ends. :D

I don't think his injuries have helped, people don't seem to take this into account, he started the season in top form, then was out injured for a while, and has also picked up a couple of other small injuries during the season. Add to that the large amount of times he has been taken off during matches, he has struggled to reach 100% sharpness after the first injury.

His form has been up and down, but name someone other than Puyol who hasn't been the same. It's an odd thing about this team, when one star has a bade game, another has a good game. I also don't think he can be used properly in the formation we use. Belletti gets down the right to give width also, so he and Giuly are effectively operating in the same offensive space. You can say neither is crossing particularly well, but a HUGE problem with asking guys to get wide and get crosses in is there is no-one to cross to!!!! Giuly is asked to operate wide right, and come inside a lot, and it's only when he comes inside that he starts to shine, because he gets involved in the game. Eto'o isn't a "near post" kind of striker and we only play with one, so Giuly and Belletti aren't going to be much use, and they will look worse than they should because they are playing their game but it doesn't gel with the team style.

If we, for some reason, played a game next season with Maxi and Larsson up front, Giuly and Belletti (and Sylvinho) would DOMINATE. Larsson would make front post runs, Maxi would float near the back, the 2 right wing guys would have someone to cross to, and their natural games would be effective in a team that suits them. Anybody can look bad when they are asked to get wide and cross but there is only 1 forward to cross to, and he can't head the ball anyway.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
He never actually was that good and I expected it would be hard for him at Barcelona. Look, Giuly played at Monaco for 8 years and yet it was only last year that he really blossomed. He simply had the season of his career and it won't happen again, it was the absolute peek. And it couldn't have happened at a better moment, he was chosen captain, he was the go to guy. His drive and passion played a huge part in going as far as Monaco did last year, which his absence demonstrates now. But at Barcelona he's just a bit part player even if some consider him a star, he's been marginalized again.

Still, noone would be happier to see him fly again than me.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I cant believe how highly regarded Luis Garcia is in here. During the last campaign we were signalling him as our weak link in attack, he goes and has a magnificant pre-season in Asia where the opposition was poor and now alot are crying his absence. He really wasnt anything special last season and IMO even so far Giuly has been better this year for us than Garcia last term. And please dont bring up his achievements this year at Liverpool as I will gladly point out what Giuly has achieved at a different club.

I think were also being rather impatient, the guy has had injury problems and is still settling. Look at the difference in Marquez last season to this year so we could atleast give Giuly that opportunity too.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I don't think Giuly is the right player for us, in the first matches I tought Giuly would be a great player for us trough the season and that he would contribut in a very positive way, but as he was injuried etc he kinda fall away, to me now I don't see why we need him. He doesn't actuelly do much for the team tough he sometimes can score a goal and have a assist. IMO we don't need Luis Garcia back, we only need a better and more solid right wing to our team. But ofcourse we could give him a chance, tough I don't thing it will help.

Also, I really liked Giuly at Monaco, he was shining in Monaco and now he isn't shining.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
frankly,i don't like this player :veiled:
his technic is awful,he can't dribble any player and he can only outpace his opponents plus his crosses aren't that great
this is his 1rst year so it would be stupid to give a final judgement.he needs more time to improve and i hope he'll become better in the near future.
IMO more competition for the RW position would do him some good.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes, Barcino is right, it's about the same to blame Edmilson for his bad season:)

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Maz said:
I cant believe how highly regarded Luis Garcia is in here. During the last campaign we were signalling him as our weak link in attack, he goes and has a magnificant pre-season in Asia where the opposition was poor and now alot are crying his absence. He really wasnt anything special last season and IMO even so far Giuly has been better this year for us than Garcia last term. And please dont bring up his achievements this year at Liverpool as I will gladly point out what Giuly has achieved at a different club.
Luis Garcia is da bomb! :star:

Actually after a good start he went pretty poor for us, some of the fans started to turn because he seemed to lightweight and gave the ball away to much but other the past month he has been something else.

I've only caught a few Barça games this season but I would have to say Garcia is better then Giuly (maybe biased though :pp)

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Giuly is not world-class, and I feel Barfa could get a handful of players that are much better than him.

If Ezquerro does indeed come to the team, it'll be painfully obvious how much better he is than the midget.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't think so,

1) I think Ludovic is more complete player BUT Luis Garcia is great as well.

2) The problem is the difference between both of them has not been as great as spected and most of the Barça supporters think that Luis García could start instead of Ludovic.

3) You konw, the law of 'only replace a homeboy for a far-away-better player'.

C u!

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
FigoIsGod said:
...., it'll be painfully obvious how much better he is than the midget.
What does Michael Owen have to do with this? :embarass: :howler:

Giuly isn't a midget... he is a pygmy.... :D

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Listen guys, LG is inconsistent even when he is healthy... Giuly has been inconsistant this year when coming back from injury. There's no telling how many goals he would have scored if he hada full healthy year, so I think it's unfair to criticize him 100%.
Now I was the first one to scream at the screen when he missed all those chances in the Clasico, but the fact that he got open and earned those chances shouldn't be overlooked either... Sure, Luis Garcia scores a nice cracker of a goal now and then, but it's not like Barça replaced Garrincha with Giuly. Liverpool came and paid the buy-out for him, offering him bigger wages, so let's not over-blame Barça for what happened. You have to look at things in the right time frame.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Playing Giuly as a right winger is wasting his strengths. At Monaco, he had a free role and was able to run the show with his incredible determination and excellent intelligence. His job under Rijkaard is to take on his man and cross, but (i) he can't cross and (ii) we have nobody who can head them in, so we can't expect miracles.

If we want to buy a replacement for Giuly, then we have to get a pure winger. Santiago Ezquerro is a good player, but is he a winger?

The only reason Luis García succeeded here was because he was played in his natural position. Comparing him with Giuly as a footballer is a joke.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts