Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't seem to have a thread dedicated to him yet, so here it is.

The way Mexico are handling things in regard to Giovani is insane. It's obvious he's going to be an important player for them for many years to come, yet they seem to be going out of their way to try to sabotage his very first season with our first team squad.
He played in the U-20 World Cup before the season started, and since then they've called him up for every meaningless friendly they've had. In September they gave him his senior debut against Panama in a friendly held in Mexico, then they used him for a match against Brazil in Boston. In October they had him play in a friendly in Mexico against Nigeria, then followed it up with a friendly against Guatemala in LA. Then in February they took him back to the Americas yet again for a friendly in Houston against the US.
And the latest is that he's on the provisional squad list to play Ghana in London. He'll play provided he gets over his injury in time, but how match-fit could he be?
What the hell is the point in all this? Do they really need him for all these money spinning friendlies?
You would think they'd say "OK, we know this is your first season with the first team, so we want you to just take it easy, get used to senior level football, and not worry about playing for Mexico just yet. That'll come soon enough."
Instead of dragging him all over the world, why not let him concentrate on developing as a player at club level first, which will then in turn benefit them in the long run.

How do people feel about him so far?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Thats international football for you.

As for Giovanni, I would give him one more year to see what he does especially if a new coach comes. I dont think he's been given a proper chance, never mind proper management.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's Giovani with one "n" :tongue: and seeing as he's just 18-years-old, I'd give him somewhat longer than just one more year personally.

Barcamaniac said:
Thats international football for you.
Yeah, it is, but most countries do usually give players at least a little time to mature. It just seems crazy to me. I mean I could understand if there'd been a World Cup this year and they'd decided to take a chance on him and included him in the squad, but repeatedly dragging him all over the place just for some meaningless friendlies...I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I think he is going to rule the world with an iron foot in the years coming. I'm pretty good at judging players so take my word for it. I also think he should change his agent, Gai should do the same too.

Also nobody should doubt his talent by this season perfomances because every single player is underperforming. It's really remarkable how Frank managed to make everybody play like pansies. Well maybe not Messi, but players like Puyol, Valdés, Iniesta who have been solid for years are going downhill. Touré, Abidal and Milito used to be so good at the begining. Then they let Rijkaard apathetic mentality get into their brains and look at them now. Same with Bojan, he is being wasted out there.

Get a proper coach FFS.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Yeah, Rauf, it's hard to talk these days without mentioning the coach. Everything stinks from that point outward.

How can we evaluate Giovani in the club where Ronaldinho is not Ronaldinho, Deco is not Deco, Henry is not Henry, Puyol is not Puyol... ?

Nothing is deterministic in our club. The greatest talent in the world could give pathetic results, 'cause we barely use the exact players' perks.

I'm second that he's gonna rock in future. But again, we prefer to praise divers like Capel and criticize hard working eager passionate Giovani.

In the end Txiki could sell GdS for 7M and buy a new Ezquerro for 10M.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Giovani is going to be huge for us.

And what's up with this "give him one more year" stuff? Giovani showed he has a future in this club.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
International football...prehistoric, tribalistic bollocks. :irritate:

We should tell Gio, as we should any of our players, that he better start prioritising us or he can **** off to one of the many clubs that apparently are throwing offers at us for him. :rollani:

·
Wizard lvl 99
115 Posts
I don't think he really has an option here guys, If he gets called up for the Senior team then he pretty much HAS to go regardless of how he feels. You just don't deny things like that.

I think there's too much pressure on the kid from all areas. From family difficulties to injuries to being called the next Ronnie. It is quite a backpack he has to carry from game to game.

He also has a brother that according to Gio is better than him. I am sure they want to play together and if you sell Gio I am sure his Dad will get pissed and try to sway young Jonathan away from Barca.

He deserves one more season. When a team under performs it is hard for any single individual to excel.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I think Giovani should be consistently played on the left wing, that's his best position where has been awesome in youth tournaments. On the right side though, he's pretty useless. As a left footed player you are only going to be successful if you have as much individual class as Messi. But Giovani isn't really a player who's drifting to the center, he likes to beat players with pace and put a nice ball to the middle.

·
“Més que un club”
1,359 Posts
Yea, I'd like to see him on the left more often. We need a "Ronaldinho replacement" eventually and I hope he can make that position his.

I also don't get why people believe in all the media crap about him being greedy supposedly. It's mostly that cvnt agent of his that runs his mouth. Everytime I've read an interview with Gio he always talks about improving and continuing at Barça. Physically he has all the right tools to become a monster, he just needs to mature a bit.

If we sell him at all, let alone for the rumored 10 million, I'd be really pissed off. He definetely has a future here.

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Yea, I'd like to see him on the left more often. We need a "Ronaldinho replacement" eventually and I hope he can make that position his.

I also don't get why people believe in all the media crap about him being greedy supposedly. It's mostly that cvnt agent of his that runs his mouth. Everytime I've read an interview with Gio he always talks about improving and continuing at Barça. Physically he has all the right tools to become a monster, he just needs to mature a bit.

If we sell him at all, let alone for the rumored 10 million, I'd be really pissed off. He definetely has a future here.
I agree. 10 million is nothing for a future star like Gio. Not like Barca need the money anyway...

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
I hope so too, but I'm not sure his mentality is strong enough. Bojan simply seems more mature and intelligent.

Then why did he change his agent to Zahavi just recently?

I wouldn't like it either, he should take his time and he will find himself, to the dismay of our enemies. Just hope he has the grit and wit to pull it off.

As for Mexico NT, well what do you expect from a merengue with a fake doctor-ID as their coach?

·
Registered
553 Posts
For 10mil he would be welcome to come and join his Mexican team-mate Carlos Vela at Arsenal next season... :D

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
If he wants to go to Arsenal and challenge for a leaguetitle every 5 year than he should go.

We have the better Cesc and we have the better giovani, so who cares? :)

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
There's an obvious thing about him. He's not ready to play regularly for us yet. He has talent and showed some good things, but definitely he's not Messi nor Bojan, he's a bit far from it.

He should be patient and know where he is. Not many people had the chances he had in Barcelona so far, but if he doesn't want to value these things, I don't really care if he leaves.

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Ronaldinho is sort of GDS's idol so if Ronnie goes GDS may go too?

It would be a shame though.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
He would struggle in the EPL.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts