Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After last week's last-minute point, Samp are off to Empoli this week. They were in pretty horrific form and are currently in 19th, but in the last two games drew at home to Juve and then narrowly lost away to Roma. Like Cagliari, they'll be hungry for points and have a few dangerous players: Giovinco, Vannucchi, and also Busce who likes to score against us.

Their weakness should be in defense, but sadly we're still in poor shape up front.. I predict a hard-fought, relatively low quality game, with either side capable of winning it.

We'll be missing Pieri+Cassano (suspended), while Lucchini and Delvecchio are available again. Campagnaro and Montella are still out.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cagliari were re-given their 3 points today, so Empoli are now officially bottom of the league. 1 point in their last 6 games is pretty appaling, and they're missing both their preferred "target" strikers (Saudati and Pozzi), but as I said previously their last two games have been very encouraging, and Giovino+Vannucchi can cause us problems.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something to do about the way they rescinded their former player Grassadonia's contract. Presumably the club thought it was mutual and didn't pay him anything, and he didn't agree.. Either way, I have no idea why they bothered subtracting 3 points if they're going to give them back a month later.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
i smell a difficult win there . ok , i do respect Emploi`s form against Juve and Roma .. but i think Samp will be able to snatch the 3 pts .

btw , be aware of Giovinco !!

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Today there was a friendly against the Religious Italian NT (priests, friars etc.) trained by Ulivieri. Of course it was almost useless as a preparation to the game vs Empoli infact the score was 14-0. Cassano played.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
for the past years Sampdoria had a good team but always played the ugliest football in my opinion, right now they are playing some beautiful football and are 6th in Serie A, just four behind Milan.. coincedently Torino are playing ugly football this year and are not managing to get anything right.. I think this is because of Walter Novellino, he is the absolute worst coach I have ever seen. Bringing Mazzari's was a great choice, I always thought he was very good from his days at Reggina..

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Mazzarri's football is surely more entertaining than Novellino's. I'm not surprised that Novellino's Torino are collecting draws, infact Novellino's attitude in the away games can hardly gain something different from draws (or defeats...). I'm not even surprised that Rosina is having problems, infact he is the kind of player who suffers more than any other one the dull strategies of Novellino (ask to Cristiano Doni for references).
Novellino is above all a coach who spurs the players so that he can obtain the maximum from them, but the players easily get annoyed by his temper, squarrel... and Novellino leave them out as a punishment. Two seasons ago Sampdoria failed to win for 17 games in a row, Novellino was not fired (he has never been sacked inhis carreer!) and he was even confirmed for the following season. During the summer there was a purge and he came back telling us that the players who did not follow him had left, players like Aimo Diana and Marco Pisano, who have now joined him at Torino. :googly:

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Back to the game with Empoli: Bellucci yesterday trained with Montella and Campagnaro so it means that he is probably going to miss the game.
Pieri and Cassano (last game) are banned.

probable lineup:

Castellazzi - Lucchini (Sala?), Gastaldello, Accardi - Maggio, Sammarco, Palombo, Volpi (Franceschini?), Ziegler - Delvecchio, Bonazzoli.

Maybe with a chance for Kalu in the second half.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bellucci's not even been called up: maybe rushing him back from injury wasn't such a good idea.. So yeah, guess it's Bonazzoli-Delvecchio up front with Kalu ready to come in if we need a bit of energy.

Incredible how no matter how man stikers we buy there's always one stage in the season when we're left with at most one!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Empoli were horrible, especially in the first half. At the first goal your player had a walk all alone in the park and the second one was just comical. After that you contained them well, although that wasn't that hard.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Mazzarri's football is surely more entertaining than Novellino's. I'm not surprised that Novellino's Torino are collecting draws, infact Novellino's attitude in the away games can hardly gain something different from draws (or defeats...). I'm not even surprised that Rosina is having problems, infact he is the kind of player who suffers more than any other one the dull strategies of Novellino (ask to Cristiano Doni for references).
Novellino is above all a coach who spurs the players so that he can obtain the maximum from them, but the players easily get annoyed by his temper, squarrel... and Novellino leave them out as a punishment. Two seasons ago Sampdoria failed to win for 17 games in a row, Novellino was not fired (he has never been sacked inhis carreer!) and he was even confirmed for the following season. During the summer there was a purge and he came back telling us that the players who did not follow him had left, players like Aimo Diana and Marco Pisano, who have now joined him at Torino. :googly:
Yet somehow he manages to win games like today just when you think he's lost the plot (actually, he already did a while back), and now we're stuck with him until the end of the season I reckon. :wallbang: The guy's a mess. At this point I don't care about ugly football, but even that doesn't produce results. He's wasted some decent talent and potential in this squad and we will go nowhere with him.

Congrats on the him, helping us out by keeping Empoli down at the bottom of the table. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great result again! First time since 2004 that we've won 3 consecutive game away from home, and we've done it all with one only one fully fit striker! Now Cassano (and hopefully Bellucci) is back I hope we keep this fighting mentality going, as with him we've really got to seal a European place!

It's just a shame the race for Europe is so tight this year, and at the moment only 6th place will do with 7 teams fighting it out - we need a Roma-Inter Coppa Italia final. Udinese have struck top gear again, and while Milan and Fiorentina keep on stutterring, I still find it very hard to believe we'll finish above either.

As of today's game, Kalu seemed to do ok again once he came on, while the fact that Zenoni started ahead of Ziegler suggests Mazzarri just doesn't trust the latter any more, at least for away games when we're probably a bit more cautious.

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
13 points in 5 games without Cassano. Unbelievable! I did not watch the game so I can't add anything else.

As bogliaschino pointed out it's a pity that the 7th position doesn't give us the certainty of the UEFA Cup spot. Anyway, I love the thrilling ends and this season is surely going to end in a thrilling way for us. :happy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts