Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have many months of nothing stretching out in front of me like an emotional Sahara (both the desert and the horrible Brooke Shields movie--Brooke gets kidnapped by a sheik and George Kennedy drinks all the gin; hillarity ensues!), I would appreciate some suggestions on some books to read.
I like history and novels, although I dislike historical novels. Very baroque styles appeal to me and I am quite willing to learn another language, if I can have a tutor.

·
Administrator
29,817 Posts
Other language ? Have you tried any portuguese work ? And I suppose you read Borges, why not trying with his "spawns" , Cortazar or Bioy Casares ?

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Other language ? Have you tried any portuguese work ? And I suppose you read Borges, why not trying with his "spawns" , Cortazar or Bioy Casares ?
you are reading them?..but Bioy is unique ina classic way, and Cortazar is unique ina looney one.

·
Administrator
29,817 Posts
Quite slowly, mostly because it is damn hard to Find anything about Bioy...seems like Borges have eaten all the space allowed. And Cortazar a little more, but recently I got tired of reading argies, I am just giving a break to clean up my mind...

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
A Feynman fan. I like the one where he's in the busy café and puts the tip under the upside down glass.

- James Gleick's Genius is probably the most interesting book I've read. Some classic stuff in there

·
Registered
42,584 Posts
Yesterday I read a six-page preview of "Out", a novel by Japanese author Natsuo Kirino. I'm weary of saying too much, what should I say of it?...

A group of woman who work together at a factory which serves as a production line of bento box lunches are stuck in a rut: their lives are mundane, day after day the same thing. Their home lives are not fruitful.

At a point, one of these women acts on her despair in a profound way. A thriller which goes beyond the genre, providing a microscope into some of the problems which plague Japanese society today.

·
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
2,487 Posts
Heather said:
Since I have many months of nothing stretching out in front of me like an emotional Sahara (both the desert and the horrible Brooke Shields movie--Brooke gets kidnapped by a sheik and George Kennedy drinks all the gin; hillarity ensues!), I would appreciate some suggestions on some books to read.
I like history and novels, although I dislike historical novels. Very baroque styles appeal to me and I am quite willing to learn another language, if I can have a tutor.
Il Gattopardo by Tomasi di Lampedusa. Well it is in a sense a historical novel. Less history and less novel than Manzoni's work, so maybe it's a historical novel up your alley. Translated into english, title "the Leopard."

Decent flick by Visconti, with Burt Lancaster dancing a great waltz with a young and fairly delicious Claudia Cardinale (I'd do her)

Baroque in the ornateness of language, unlike Lampedusa's contemporaries, excellent excuse to learn Italian

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
And if you really got time to kill, read I Promessi Sposi by Alessandro Manzoni.

And if that doesn't do it for ya, anything by Giacomo Leopardi.

As far as the Gattopardo of Giure, watch the movie, its not too bad and its actually filmed in a place I go to often close to Roma called Ariccia in the Palazzo Sticchi... giusto Giure? ;)

PS: Not to mention that you could read Il Debello Gallico by Giulio Cesare himself. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts