Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah his skills and pace have diminished this season from last and he's got plenty of detractors (myself included). However, I wouldn't mind if he stayed another season in a limited role to help groom some of the youngsters. Don't forget, he also helped out Eduardo tremendously during his horrific injury by acting as translator.

Here he is talking about Walcott:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3451088,00.html

GILBERTO: WALCOTT MUST BIDE HIS TIME

Arsenal veteran Gilberto believes Theo Walcott can reach the very top, but urged the England youngster to be "very calm" and bide his time.

Walcott produced another impressive display when he was handed a rare start by manager Arsene Wenger in the 2-0 victory over Reading yesterday, which kept alive the Gunners' hopes of finishing runners-up in the Barclays Premier League.

The 19-year-old former Southampton trainee has been keen to show what he can do - even going as far as confronting Wenger about forcing his way into the starting XI on a regular basis.

Gilberto, 31, was part of Arsenal's 'Invincibles' side which won the club's last championship title in 2003/2004 - and the Brazil World Cup winner knows all about the importance of working your way up to becoming a regular performer at the highest level.

"Apart from being a great player, Theo is a very nice guy - but I think people need to give him time," said Gilberto.

"I read some things and people try to put pressure on him and between him and the manager - but if they let him do his job freely then he can be one of the best players in England.

"Sometimes people forget that he is very young. Theo needs to progress in the way he plays."

Gilberto declared: "Theo will do it, but if I was him then I would be very calm because he's playing for a big club, he's doing very well, he's got plenty of time to learn things and improve himself.

"The pace he has got and his ability he's got for such a young guy, it's amazing - but he must concentrate on his job, do it without any pressure because I know he wants to play games.

"He has got time on his side to develop a bit more.

"Theo has got the talent and the more he works - as I've seen him work on the training ground - the better he will become.

"He will be prepared and more ready to take his chance when he is in the starting XI."

Wenger indicated he could well hand Walcott a starting place for the final three games of the campaign - with the youngster now looking ready to fulfil his potential after a big-money move in January 2006 and subsequent inclusion in Sven-Goran Eriksson's World Cup squad in the same year.

The Arsenal manager said: "I told him he had to be more aggressive and determined. He is that now.

"It is down to him, how much he wants it. I hope he continues to produce this type of performance and on his account are 10 or 15 goals, because that is what you should aim for."

Gilberto netted his first goal of the season yesterday - albeit via a wicked deflection of Reading defender Andre Bikey.

It has not been the easiest of campaigns for the veteran Brazilian, who has had to watch most of it from the bench as Cesc Fabregas and Mathieu Flamini - currently out injured - forged a formidable partnership in the centre of midfield.

Gilberto has one more year to run on his contract and is hopeful he will be able to see that out at Emirates Stadium.

"I will sit down with the boss at the end of the season," he confirmed. "But for the next few weeks, I will keep focused on doing my job, trying to help the team as much as I can whether it is on the pitch, or in training working with the players.

"We always speak very nicely, Arsene is open and we will talk.

"I don't know whether you can get assurances, but I want to talk about my prospects and whether I have a chance to play, if the manager thinks I can be a good player for the team or not."

Gilberto added: "To be honest, I really want to stay and I've always expressed that.

"Of course I'm upset that I've not played much this season because last year I played the whole season and this year has been really frustrating.

"But you need to be professional, respect the manager's point of view and help the other players as much and to the maximum that I possibly can."

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Whether Gilberto stays or not depends on Flamini and whether Wenger wants him to stay.

To be fair to Gilberto he did little wrong on Satruday.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I want him to stay because he can help Denilson's development and attract other Brazilian players to the club. But I don't want him to play very often :D

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Gilberto was great last season and I think he'd have been great this season if he could play every week. I'd keep him for experience, absolutely.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I wouldn't say he was great, just that he scored goals. When he never played, he wasn't missed last season and the same can be said for this. He can stay if he doesn't mind not playing, but right now I would rather play Denilson, Diaby, Song and Flamini ahead of him.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Bert has been one of my favourite players ever since he joined. He's a rolle model footballer. I like him becouse of his calmness, composure, the way he acts when he's on the pitch. He's a true professional. Shuch a modest and fine person. And he's a damn fine player as well. No matter how much the majority of you here are slagging him off, he can still offer a lot to this team. He defenetly should stay!

·
소원을 말해봐
5,413 Posts
gilberto served us well for many years. but its time for him to move on i guess. he just doesnt cut it for our side..

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
So looks like Bert is definitely on his way too Panathinaikos. It's a good fit for him. He was a good player for us in previous seasons but physically he looked to have gone at times last season. Was with us for six years and always a gentleman on and off the park. Showed class. He came from humble beginnings and this was reflected in his behaviour. He could also play a bit don't forget that.

Thank you Bert for your time with us.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Your Adebayor's, Hleb's, Ronaldo's etc need to look at Gilberto and see what a real footballer is.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
four years too late for me, but good luck son and thanks for the great efforts especially in 03/04.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
A great guy and a top professional, but unfortunately he was becoming more and more of a liability. Good luck in Greece.

·
Arsenalation
2,036 Posts
now that's what a captain should say to motivate young players like theo. Point in case the blue scum who was talking disparagingly about theo earlier in the season.

Gilberto, the second last link to the Invincibles.

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
Has been a great servant to the club. Btw there is huge excitement in Greece at the transfer. Many are putting it second only to Rivaldo signing for Olympiakos in 2004.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Great guy, great character and heart but he still can't tackle or pass to save his life. It's no coincidence with a Tiger like Flamini in the CM we went from being utter rubbish in 06-07 to real contenders in 07-08.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Good player and a gentleman. He won a world cup and played in one of the best sides of the decade. Good luck to him in Greece. I hope he has a good time over there.

·
props u can read
768 Posts
Very few Arsenal players become gooners, especially in these times. Gilberto is a gooner. Enough said

Want to see him stay and if he can't, then atleast stay untill the emriates cup so he can have a testimony match and we can salute an invicible!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Reports in Greece expect him there midweek. Gilberto had limited ability but made the best of that ability. In Gilberto and Baptista we must have found the only two Brazilians who couldn't control a ball.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts