Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arsenal reserves go head to head tonight with London rivals Chelsea, and Neil Banfield’s side will aim to get back to winning ways after two defeats in their last two games. Previously the Gunners had not been beaten in seven games.

Gilberto makes his first return to competitive football since cracking his vertebrea early in the season. He was on the bench against Bayern Munich but did not feature. Jeremie Aliadiere gets another reserve start as he battles to get back to full fitness and Danny Karbassiyoon starts his first game for Arsenal after returning from a loan spell at Ipswich.

A win tonight will keep the pressure on the league leaders Charlton. The Addicks are 15 points ahead of Arsenal but have played three more games.

A full match preview will appear here later this afternoon.

-----------------------

Good to have him back. Maybe well see him in the first team squad in a few weeks? Wenger's been saying he will need two or three reserve games. I didn't know Chelsea actually had a proper reserves team either.

Taylor
Eboue - Gillbert - Muamba - Karbassiyoon
Smith - Gilberto - Larsson - Quincy
Lupoli - Aliadiere

Strong team! :shades:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Chavski must have a top reserve squad, he must give games to Johnson, Huth, Smertin, Jasorik, etc doesn't he ?

anyway i think we will win,Quincy, Lupoli and Aliadiere must be the most fearsome strike force in reserve football.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Read on another forum that Arsenal's reserves beat Chelsea's 3-2.

Aliadiere with a Hat Trick.

·
63,337 Posts
i just saw the goals on the news, a penalty and a couple of real tidy finishes from Ali :star:

Gilberto was on as well and said he felt fine. :shades:

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Really nice to see Gilberto on his way back to full fitness! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the match report, sounded like a good game actually:

ARSENAL 3
Aliadiere 37, 40, 48
CHELSEA 2
Kneissl 29, 87

By Richard Clarke

Gilberto returned to action after six months out as Arsenal Reserves beat Chelsea 3-2 at Barnet on Monday night.

The Brazilian midfielder played 65 minutes as Neil Banfield’s side came from behind against their London neighbours thanks to a hat-trick from Jeremie Aliadiere.

Gilberto cracked a vertebrae on the opening day of the Premiership season at Everton but, unaware of the problem, he went on to play six more games. His last appearance came in the 2-2 draw with Bolton on September 18.

He looked comfortable and assured as a youthful Arsenal side overwhelmed the second-string of the Premiership leaders. Aliadiere, whose season has also been blighted by injury, looked back to his best aswell with three classy strikes.

Every Arsenal fan will be happy to see these two in contention for a first-team place once more.

The home side Arsenal were the first to go close when Sebastian Larsson curled a free kick just wide. But it was not a portent of things to come and Chelsea went on to dominate the next 30 minutes with Filipe Oliveira the main irritant to Arsenal’s re-jigged defence.

In the 10th minute, the winger set up Sebastian Kneissl for a shot across the face of goal. Then Oliveria danced up the right, cut inside and fired just wide. He followed that with a mazy dribble that only ended with the sliding Kerrea Gilbert smothering his shot as he looked set to score from 10 yards.

He went closest in the 22nd minute when Danny Hollands flicked through and, with the outside of his foot, Oliveria diverted the ball past Stuart Taylor and against the post.

The keeper proved Arsenal’s saviour just before half-time as the tide continued to flow against the home side. Holland crossed and Jimmy Smith nodded down for the unmarked Kneissl 12 yards out. He hit the half-volley with venom but Taylor stood up and diverted the ball away with his left hand. A stunning save from close range.

However Arsenal were living on borrowed time and they paid the debt in the 29th when Oliveria sent Kneissl free on the right and slid a shot across Taylor and into the far corner.

It seemed that, on this occasion, only conceding a goal would wake up Arsenal up. Ryan Smith started to stretch his legs and show his pace on the left. He drove over from Arturo Lupoli’s pass in the 33rd minute then tested Chelsea keeper Lenny Pidgeley soon afterwards.

Eight minutes from the break Arsenal levelled. Anthony Stokes collected in midfield and sent an intelligent, raking ball forward for Aliadiere to chase. The bounced favoured the French forward and Steven Watt clipped his heels as he looked for space in the area. Aliadiere planted home the penalty with conviction.

Within seconds of the goal, Chelsea might have retaken the lead when Kneissl’s snapshot hit the underside of the bar and bounced away to safety. Arsenal made them pay a minute later when Smith’s sent Aliadiere away in the area and the 21-year-old, only recently back after knee surery, steered home a stylish second. Pidgeley slipped as the goal went in and needed treatment. As he did so, the referee consulted with his assistant about the validity of the goal. In the end it was given; Arsenal had completed an incredible turnaround.

Before the break, Alaidiere might have completed his hat-trick and Lupoli bundled a header over the bar.

The treble did arrive for the three minutes after the interval. Smith back-heeled for Lupoli to feed the French Under-21 striker and his finish was a rasping, rising drive to Pidgley’s right.

The goal took the edge of a game that had sparkled from the opening few minutes. After Gilberto made his exit, Lupoli’s byline cross nearly crept in at the far post.

Quincy came on to rapturous applause for the final stages. As usual, the Dutchman striker added directness and pace to the attack. But he could not add to Arsenla's goal tally.

Indeed it was Chelsea who struck with three minutes left. Substitute Patrick Cregg tapped the ball back to Taylor and the keeper’s weak clearance fell to Oliveria, who squared for Kneissl to finish from close range.

It heralded a tense finale. Filipe Morais flashed an effort wide within seconds and then nearly set up Kneissl for the equaliser. Taylor stretched his frame to clutch the low cross.

It was the final act of a dramatic game.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Great :) Hopefully Ali won't do a Pennant and f*ck up his career because he sure got it coming for him...if he choose to behave. :)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Twayka said:
but can he be great with the big boys?
Aliadiere has always had the talent to be a first team regular, but alas he was always getting injured. If he ever conquers his injury woes he'd be very good for us.

Did you see his first touch against Sheff United? Brilliant sharpness considering he hasn't played since August.

·
63,337 Posts
the touch on the 3rd goal was class in this game, the defender commited himself and he just touched it round him, a bit like Bergkamp against Dabizaz that time but without the p'zaz

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brazilian midfielder Gilberto is on the mend and is hopeful of returning to Arsenal's first team in time for the FA Cup semifinal against Blackburn Rovers.

'The invisible wall' has been injured for six months after breaking a vertebra in his back. However he returned to action on Monday, playing out an hour for the reserves against Chelsea, in which Jeremie Aliádíère scored a hattrick.

If Gilberto is fit for the FA Cup match at the Millennium Stadium he will be reminded of some happy memories as he arrives there. He scored there on his debut in 2002, helping Arsenal to defeat Liverpool in the Community Shield.

Arsenal have been missing the services of the big Brazilian, with the defence often suffering this season without the protection of the central midfield stopper.

A fit Gilbeto would be a welcome boost for an Arsenal side dealing with a disappointing season, with only now the FA Cup to realistically play for.

Gilberto said: "I have 10 more days to train with the team before international week. So I think I will be 100 per cent fit for the semi-final.

"After that I can train some more and try to improve. I want to play to help the team. I have good memories of the Millennium Stadium from my debut. It's a big stadium and I enjoy playing there.

"In the Champions' League we saw the chance to play in the final and then it was gone," he added. "Now the FA Cup is very important for us."

:proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud:

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
He has returned!
i think we will be a very better team with gilberto, but it will be hard to move flamini, with all his good performances.

·
63,337 Posts
I'd just play him in away games, at home we have Fabregas. :star:

still at least Vieira will be able to rest his ankle every now and again now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts