Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finally being recognised for his understated contribution to the Arsenal team, Gilberto has spoken of his desire to stay at the club and finish his career in North London.

The Brazilian has only one year left on his current deal, and his statement of commitment will be welcomed by Arsène Wenger, who wants him to sign a new deal.

On hearing that Wenger wants him to re-sign Gilberto said: "I am happy about that. We haven't started talking yet but I want to stay at this club."

"I like it here very much. I also like my life in England. If you are happy, then you don't want to move.

"The spirit among the players is fantastic and we have some of the best in the world like Patrick Vieira, Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp. If I have the chance to finish-my career at Arsenal, then I would be very happy."

Gilberto's impact on the team has been noted especially by how his absence has affected the team. During his absence, Arsenal's winning percentage was 56%. On his return to the team, Arsenal has returned to winning ways with a winning percentage of 86%.

The last time Gilberto lost a mtach in Arsenal colours was back in January 2004, in a Carling Cup semi-final loss to Middlesbrough.

Gilberto said: "Sometimes I don't think people realise what I do out there. People see now more than they did before what I try to give to the team. Because I come from Brazil, they were expecting me to do the same as Ronaldo or Ronaldinho.

"But that is not what I do. I play for the team. I don't look for headlines, that is not the most important thing for me. The team is important. The way myself and Chelsea's Claude Makelele play, no one can see us on the pitch. All we try to do is be in the right place at the right time."

Gilberto had his own thoughts on what went awry for Arsenal this season: "Whenever there are problems, it unbalances the team. The manager tried to do things when the important players were out and brought in youngsters.

"But you can't put pressure on them like you can with experienced players. Now I want to help the team finish in second place and play in what should be a great FA Cup Final against Manchester United."

Hopefully the talismanic Brazilian will help his team pull one over the team that ended the Gunners' unbeaten run.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
khimik said:
Gilberto said: "Sometimes I don't think people realise what I do out there. People see now more than they did before what I try to give to the team. Because I come from Brazil, they were expecting me to do the same as Ronaldo or Ronaldinho.
what is Gilberto on here ? :howler:

does he really believe we thought that ? :D

anyway, good to see a properly committed Gooner :thmbup: (take note A,Cole)

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Bergy, Pires, Henry, Freddie and now Gilberto, all hope to finish their career in Arsenal. Apparently our club is so lovable... :hopefull: :proud:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts