Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday, Gica Popescu was in Bucuresti and he hinted to sports magazine ProSport ( www.prosport.ro ) about his future with Galatasaray.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>I already have to firm offers, in finincial terms both are approximately equal to what I receive from the Galatasaray, and it is very possible that I am going to be parting from Gala before the European Championships, so after this season ends. I have had much success with them, hopefully we will conquer the UEFA Cup, which would be fantastic. I belive that I have done what was expected of me here and I fulfilled my expectations. I can only tell you that it is 80% certain I will leave.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A history lesson for those that don't know: Popescu came from Barcelona for a fee of 7 million dollars. He makes approximately 1.8 million dollars a year. With Galatasaray Popescu has won the league 3 times, the Turkish cup 2 times and has qualified with Galatasaray in the UEFA Cup final.

The most likely place he will go is England. He likes England, knows English, and earlier this year there was high speculation he already signed with Newcastle. So it would surprise me if he went somewhere besides England.

[This message has been edited by EclipsE (edited 09-05-2000).]

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
thanx for the stats eclipse ;)

i think so many clubs want him.. eg: west ham, everton, newcastle united., derby country, watford (ooops, they are relegated ;))

im just kidding....on a serious note, he will be a good stable defender in an english club...we all know that liverpool, arsenal, man.united wont be the teams he joins.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Been watching him for a long time!! i can tell you, unfortunately, that he is losing his speed.

Last wednesday in the turkish cup, galata was scored 3 goals mostly by his mistakes. He does not follow the players anymore.

But he is still stable. very good defender!

I read last week in turkish newspapers that coach fatih terim is confused if he still wants to keep him. They wanna get someone else instead. He earns a lot of money for his age too. This year he earned at least2.3 milllion.(including qualifying for final of uefa, turkish cuop and will get more for championship in the league)

I am almost sure that he wants to stay though. 2 weeks ago, in an interview, he said he is very happy living in istanbul.

Link suggestuin:

if u wanna watch all the goals of galata including turkish cup and uefa ones, all the games since 4 years, go to,
www.cimbom.org

its in english. just click on video clips. u can watch popescu there in the cup final and all and decide whether he lost his skills or not. :)

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More rumours have surfaced now linking him with Olympiakos and MLS.

carlito: Thanx carlito, but I already knew that site, I love watching the Hagi goals :) My faves are the one against Dortmound when Hagi blows it over Lehmann's head and the one against Vienna when Hagi dribble that one guy and chips the goalie :)

Also, those Turkish comentators so damn hyper it's funny.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Hehe, i know, but i love that, they make the game exciting! :)goallllllllllllllllllll... :)

Eclipse, watch the one against "genclerbirligi" of hagi. It s the 5th goal. Score was 6-0 :)
That one is one of the most amazing i have seen by hagi this season. About 40 meter away.

No that far for Hagi though :)

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I just love Hakan's goal to leeds.

I am not really sure about that cuz all the goals they score look like some kind of art, dont they?? :)
If u remind me some , maybe ill remember :)

[This message has been edited by carlito (edited 09-05-2000).]

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A small update on Popescu straight from the Romanian newspapers:

He has said that he will remain with Galatasaray for atleast another year following the success in the UEFA Cup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts