Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am nonplussed, this 19-year old goalkeeper has been almost flawless in the three matches I've seen him play. Apart from possessing important goalkeeping skills like reflexes, coordination, grip, control of area etc, he seems to have a solid mentality despite his young age. Where Zotti and Pelizzoli break down, Gianluca takes everything that comes with complete control, hopefully also the Under-21 call from Gentile :cool:

Against Parma, a match I saw in replay on Christmas eve, he made a match winner save on a shot from close range. Unfortunately he timed his punch a little wrong on the following corner and they scored. But that's the only significant mistake I've registered from him! Maybe Milan's first goal yesterday could be written partly on his account, but it can't be said for sure in my opinion.

The second match I saw with him participating came against Fiorentina with Bruno Conti as new coach. Even more confident than against Parma. Seemed especially confident on crosses and long shots, not that he seemed to lack confidence on anything though. A couple of impressive saves on shots that by no means were easier to save than the one Zotti let in from Zola last weekend. Also became some sort of a hero when he saved Miccoli's penalty kick.

Third match was against Milan. Again he avoided making unnecessary rebounds, to huge difference from Zotti and Pelizzoli. Looked like a nail when he saved Crespo's close range effort. Honestly more luck than anything else, but a good save nevertheless. Had to let two goals go past him, I think we're divided when it comes to his degree of guilt on the first goal. Personally, I don't think it was his fault. I'd distribute most of the guilt on Scurto for marking Kaladze ridiculously bad and Panucci for the same on Crespo.

I expect a lot from Gianluca and I just have to thank him for making a great impact on this Roma team in a deep, deep crisis. Molto grazie!

P.S: I know this thread doesn't come as a revelation to anyone, far from it, but I just felt like opening a thread about him.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My question to you is:
"Do we need a new goalkeeper?"

If what he's displayed so far represents what he's capable of doing over a long period, I have to say no!

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Nice thread. Is he good enough to be our no.1 next year? Only one way to find out- start him in between the sticks for the rest of the season. I'm getting good vibes from him though:thumbsup:

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
come on i think we do need an expierenced goalkeeper to keep him leveled and not get a big head like totti ( i know cheap shot but hey its the truth ) he must appreciate that he is on the team and if he doesnt well then your hitting the bench...dont get me wrong the guy is good but maybe im hating on him cause he is a year older then me >.< or is it cause its too early to tell...if im correct didnt pelizolli start of great....well now look at him he's as crap as ....as.....hmmm cant think of any crappy goalies at the time except for pelli and zotti...LOL maybe curci should start from now on but come transfer window we better hop on the chance to get a goalie and a left midfielder

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
romafan53 said:
I'm getting good vibes from him though:thumbsup:
Me too. It might sound strange, but it feels like being in love! :D

I firmly believe he's good enough to play if his performances so far represent his talent and aren't strikes of luck.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I definately think that Curci should start the next game. Now if he plays well and makes only a couple of beginners mistakes then I say he should be the goal keeper of Roma's future and even if he becomes as mistake prone as Pelizzoli I still say give him another chance down the road. Now regardless of how well Curci plays we need veteran back-up who will be reliable as Pelizzoli has made consistently bad mistakes and Zotti has pretty much done the same. I suggest loaning both of them out if Curci works out and if Curci doesn't then I suggest loaning one of Zotti and Pelizzoli and bringing in a veteran goal keeper who has safe hands. Perhaps with loaning Curci out if he is not eligable for the Primavera any more.

Just to underline my opinion on Curci; I like him and I think he would be a better option that Pelizzoli or Zotti but I just want to say that I have over rated most of the youngsters in Roma and have put to much faith in them and I don't want to do that with Curci. Also a veteran goal keeper would be a valuable teacher for whichever young goal keeper Roma keeps next season. Just also like to say Curci seems confident which is a wonderful quality to have in a goal keeper.

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
Have you ever been absent from fine women for a significant amount of time? And when you return they look that much better?
Well, it's been so long since we have seen any quality at all from our Roma, that maybe even just some looks so great! He's wonderfully refreshing and a real prospect. I just wonder if he's ready to start next season, or just be a real strong backup.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Primo said:
I was watching the second half tape delayed, and I couldn't help but notice that Scurto was a total waste of space. Is right back his natural position ? Because he didn't look comfortable playing there. Or maybe the game was too big for him, I don't know.>>

As soon as I complimented him in another thread, he breaks apart. Panucci, too. I should just learn to keep my positiveness to myself because the comments always backfire. :hangover:
Ohh no Primo what have you done :eek: . ;)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
sinoy1 said:
if im correct didnt pelizolli start of great....well now look at him he's as crap as

The problem with Pelizzoli is everyone is waiting for him to mature and stop being like a young keeper when Curci at 19 instantly seems confident and more commanding I mean I was suprised he was 19 from the way he carried himself and like others say with more games we can really see what he has. Even if he makes mistakes now it doesn't mean he will be doing the same mistakes in 2 years time.

Anyway the guy has his work cut out with how the defence has been this season, If thats anything to go by for the rest of it. Chivu is back so that will help anyway Im impressed with this guy and who knows he might the revelation of the season ala Mancini of last year, Well its a typical Roma fan knee jerk reaction but who cares :)

Good luck to the guy, He'll need it

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Curci is the first youth player to move into the seniors who has any charisma and confidence about him.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all we should buy Palermo's half. I don't know why we sold them 50% in the first place. He's a massive talent!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
obviously I meant out of the last generation...

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
seems like he started for the under 21 game against scotland and got himself a cean sheet!!! good job!!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Curci eyes loan switch
Monday 28 March, 2005
Italian Under-21 international goalkeeper Gianluca Curci is ready to leave Roma – but only on loan.

The youngster is a reported target for both Messina and Palermo after an impressive month at the Olimpico.

He was the hero in the Coppa Italia penalty shoot-out win against Fiorentina before also doing well against Milan.

"If I had to go away for a year to play more regularly then I would do so," said the 19-year-old.

"However, it is clearly my dream to become Roma’s first-choice goalkeeper in the future."

Curci was given his chance to shine after both Ivan Pelizzoli and Carlo Zotti were affected by injury and poor form.

Curci, who made his Azzurrini debut in the 2-0 win over Scotland on Friday, added that he one day also hopes to guard the Italian goal, like his hero Gigi Buffon.

"He is the goalkeeper who I follow closely," he added. "Buffon is a great example for all young ‘keepers."

·
Registered
126 Posts
If Curci is capable of taking the no1 jersey from Pelizzoli next year, Roma must look to cash in on Pelizzoli.

It's a risk, but if a club like inter for example chose to replace Toldo then they might be interested. How much would he cost? £5m?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Next year Roma should sell Peli, loan Zotti and buy an experienced keeper while keeping Curci as number 2 but also playing sometimes.

Im not sure if we can get either, but I wouldnt mind taking Toldo to the Olimpico, Pagliuca for 1 year or Abbiati on loan.

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
i think we should get cudicini from loan he seems frustrated and wants a new place to play after all he is italian right?? he's in his mid 20's i think like 26 or 27 he's capable of being the #1 goalie and so why not bring in an accomplished goalie?? then again curci is playing well why not ride this high till next season with him??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts