Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be a joke ???? :wallbang:

The Independant (UK Newspaper)

Spanish club to blacken faces
By Alex Leith in Barcelona
02 December 2004

The row about racism in Spanish football has taken a bizarre twist, with La Liga club Getafe's president, Angel Torres, announcing that the whole first team would play their next home game, against Villarreal in 10 days, with their faces blackened with shoe polish, to "prove" that the club is not racially prejudiced.

Torres's announcement followed ugly scenes in Getafe's home game against Barcelona on Saturday, during which the away team's striker, the Cameroon international Samuel Eto'o, was subjected to monkey chanting from a section of the crowd throughout the match. Eto'o, visibly upset by the chanting, was eventually booked for kicking the ball into the same area of fans as it ran out of play. Barcelona's Brazilian star Ronaldinho was also subjected to racial abuse in the match, which Barcelona won 2-1.

"It was a stupidity from four idiots who don't represent the fans of Getafe," said Torres, promising to ban those concerned if they are identified by security cameras. "But it brings shame on the whole club. It is a silly and disagreeable way of behaving." He consulted his players, who agreed to the unconventional protest, before making his announcement. Getafe, from the southern suburbs of Madrid, is one of three teams in the top league not to have any players from racial minorities in their squad.

The Spain manager Luis Aragones - who started the race row when he was overheard calling Arsenal striker Thierry Henry "a black shit" in order to motivate Henry's Spanish club-mate Jose Antonio Reyes during a training session for the national team six weeks ago - has revealed that his family asked him to quit his job over the affair. But he added: "I have never thought about resigning from my position... I think it is wrong that they [the English press] have been calling Spain racist, and calling me racist too."

The president of the Spanish FA, Angel Maria Villar, will appear before the Anti-Violence Commission next week to explain comments made by Aragones before Spain's friendly with England last month.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I hope that is a joke, if anything it would piss off the black players more.

·
“Més que un club”
1,359 Posts
The idea is pretty crazy. Are they even gonna be allowed to do that?

Though their Pres. is right you know. It only takes a small amount of imbesiles to ruin it for everyone and make those that are innocent look guilty.
The Getafe players are not racist, and neither are about 90% of the people in the crowd.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It would be a way to say that they wouldn't care to be black or if you abuse of a black player you're abusing of all the players. Anyway that will look like a joke.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Its a fukin insult. God

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Angel Torres is a very strange man... I would not consider it an insult, because his intentions are good anyway, but what he should do is banning the ultras.

BTW, I'm moving this thread to the Spanish leagues forum.

K4

·
Registered
841 Posts
They shouldn't do this, despite intentions being good, it will seem like a joke or even more of an insult to black people.

What would be better is if the Getafe players wore a shirt saying "No al racismo" or something like that, or even better, if Getafe fans showed their intentions by holding banners or something before the game. This would be much better imo, or even banning the ultras.

But painting faces black is just silly. What will it prove?

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
romafan53 is right, that happened before...the Treviso-players did it a few years ago, I think. Painting their faces black is just another way of declaring their solidarity with black players, I don't see why it is silly.
And I think it is one of the most important things that the team reacts to such things. If the fans listen to anyone, it will be their own team, that I strongly believe.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Haha, this is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've heard all year. Even if their intentions are good it is the silliest way to go about it. Anyway, wouldn't the black polish wear off once they started sweating, making them white again? Not to mention the sheer discomfort of it.

If anything, most black people would see this as a perfunctory gesture and would rather real measures were taken to stamp out racism, then this farce. My opinion: it would look like mimicry and mockery and further exacerbate the problem, rather than alleviate it.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Propaganda, nothing practical. Not to emphazise the difference in skin colour is the best way to treat the problem. Now their blackened faces on the other hand further emphazises the difference.

·
40,147 Posts
MxPx said:
romafan53 is right, that happened before...the Treviso-players did it a few years ago, I think. Painting their faces black is just another way of declaring their solidarity with black players, I don't see why it is silly.
And I think it is one of the most important things that the team reacts to such things. If the fans listen to anyone, it will be their own team, that I strongly believe.
That's what I think. Maybe it's weird, perhaps it's not the solution, but it's not an insult. I'm sure that this action will make their fans think about it.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Something that sounds rediculous but may come across with the right message. I think however the british press will have an absolute field day with this and use it to fuel more predujices that their developing, even though it has been proven to be successful in Italy as mentioned here.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Well, the article itself is rather poor.
Take the first sentence for example, how is that (the players painting their faces) a "proof" that they are not racist? If the president really said it like that, he's a fool, otherwise it's the writer.

The planned action a sign for solidarity and a publicity stunt for a good cause, no more or less.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
i don't like this idea but torres' intentions are good but if it helps to eradicate racism and makes the fans more aware about this scourge then of i'm all for it!

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
MxPx said:
Painting their faces black is just another way of declaring their solidarity with black players, I don't see why it is silly.
Neither do I, but it's a question, if that way racistic chants will stop. Perhaps Uefa should really instruct the referees to end a match immediately, if it happens again and give the rival team the 3 points. ;)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
People, he didn't say that seriously... but even if they did it, I don't think it's an insult to anyone, on the contrary.

·
40,147 Posts
lili said:
Neither do I, but it's a question, if that way racistic chants will stop. Perhaps Uefa should really instruct the referees to end a match immediately, if it happens again and give the rival team the 3 points. ;)
I've read this somewhere :lala:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts