Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article on ESPN. What does it have to do with Barça? Read on:

-----------------------------
Steven Gerrard's thunderous volley against Olimpiakos Piraeus may have secured Liverpool's progress in the lucrative and prestigious UEFA Champions League, but it also virtually ensured the skipper's Anfield exit during the summer transfer window.

The England international was already high on the wish list of many of Europe's top clubs and his inspirational performances since returning from a metatarsal injury, culminating in Wednesday's lung-busting exploits, has put him firmly in the shop window and prompted football's money men to start counting their Euros.

Gerrard has publicly intimated his dissatisfaction at the prospect of settling for 'second best' with Liverpool and although his boy-hood club staved off the embarrassment of a UEFA Cup place with their memorable 3-1 win in midweek, Gerrard is unlikely to linger at Liverpool.

Rafael Benitez's rebuilding process will take time to reach its zenith and all the while Liverpool-born Gerrard, who remained patient under former boss Gerard Houllier, is once again forced to ask himself if he can win football's top trophies, such as the Champions League and domestic title, at Anfield. The answer appears to be no.

'I can't wait three or four years for Liverpool to be turned into a title-winning team,' Gerrard said. 'It would mean a lot to me to be successful with Liverpool but it has got to be happening now for me. I want to see signs we can be genuine challengers next time.'

In his last three games for the Reds, following two months on the sidelines, Gerrard has been head and shoulders above the majority of his teammates. His man-of-the match performances have resulted in victory over Premiership champions Arsenal and a lucrative win over Olympiakos, worth around £10million to the club.

The prospect of continued Champions League football in February will probably be enough for Gerrard remain at Anfield after the January transfer window has closed, but by August ambition will rightly take the place of continued loyalty.

At 25-years-old Gerrard is already one of the best midfielders in England and deserves to be part of a team that can match his ambition. Last summer, amid some sinister circumstances, he rejected the chance to join Chelsea and Frank Lampard, England's other top performer, but if the opportunity arises again he would be mad to shun the offer.

Although there is stiff competition for places in Chelsea's overstocked midfield, Gerrard would instantly move ahead of Claude Makelele, Alexei Smertin, Tiago, Scott Parker and Gérémi. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has already enviously suggested that the scouser's partnership with Lampard would almost certainly deliver the Premiership title.

Wenger would love to lure Gerrard to Highbury but the new £357million Emirates Stadium at Ashburton Grove has had a detrimental effect on the Gunner's already limited coffers.

Similarly, the unscheduled £27million capture of Wayne Rooney has dented Manchester United hopes of landing the England international as a replacement for the aging Roy Keane - if indeed the Kopite would even agree to a switch to Liverpool's arch-rivals.

With so many top clubs fishing for his signature there is no real need for Gerrard to continue his committed service to the club that nurtured his talents. It is time to move on to a new challenge and the Premiership is not the only possible option for a much coveted player.

Real Madrid have shown an interest Gerrard, who is a player with the technical ability to fulfill the enforcer role that Real's unbalanced midfield is crying out for. Florentino Perez would love to add the 25-year-old's relatively youthful zest to the aging midfield trio of Zinedine Zidane (32), Luis Figo (32) and David Beckham (29).

However, the most enticing proposition may lie in Catalonia with Real's rivals Barcelona. Manager Frank Rijkaard has revolutionized his Primera Liga topping side into one of the bookies' favourites to win this season's Champions League, and while Real's star may be on the wane, Barca's is rising.

The Catalan's injury prone midfield is in desperate need of a player of Gerrard's talents and the prospect of pinging 50-yard passes to Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto'o, whilst bossing the midfield alongside Ludovic Guily and Xavi, is an opportunity that will surely appeal. Gerrard certainly fits /Barca's criteria.

Having advanced into the last 16 of the Champions League with Liverpool, Gerrard is now in the fortunate position of being able to assess his potential employers first-hand - should his current club successfully negotiate a two-leg tie with either AC Milan, Bayer Leverkusen, Internazionale, Juventus or Lyon.

However, Liverpool will have to do much more than that if they wish to retain the services of their star player. Trophies have a very persuasive power.

IMO, we would be absolutely crazy not to try and sign him (in the summer of course). He would be very expensive but well worth it. He would be an absolutely dream signing, and much more realistic than other dream signings like Thierry Henry or Adriano :D

Gerrard - Xavi - Deco = BEST MIDFIELD IN THE WORLD. :thmbup: :drool:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Puyol_Culé said:

IMO, we would be absolutely crazy not to try and sign him (in the summer of course). He would be very expensive but well worth it. He would be an absolutely dream signing, and much more realistic than other dream signings like Thierry Henry or Adriano :D

Gerrard - Xavi - Deco = BEST MIDFIELD IN THE WORLD. :thmbup: :drool:

What do you guys think?
That would be an amazing Midfield, But I believe that Gerrard's position would be in either Xavi's or Deco's. He doesn't really play the typical defensive midfielder position. We need a more combative ball winning defensive midfielder, who would give more freedom to Deco and Xavi.

Furthermore, he would be very expenisve, as we would have to fight off teams like Chlesea, Arsenal, Man U, and Real Madrid, and I don't think it would be a feasible operation.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
If he leaves Liverpool he wants to go to Real Madrid, so he can link up with his best friend Michael Owen.

Sorry to disappoint you Barca fans, but Gerrard will either stay in Liverpool or go to Real Madrid.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
WTF!!!!!!
Steven gerrard? you've polished this guy way toooo much!!!! he's shit!! compared to what we have... he's one of those small brained cant understand football english players ... he's a freaking kick and Rusher!!!

we want midfielders with dribbling ability who can take on players and create space not another kick and rush long ball english player.... barca is the samba club.. let the english group Rot in Real Madrid ... i mean look at their league? do you understand it? their game is soo haphazard... you never know who is winning and who is not and that's not bec the league is so competetive as they'd put it.. here's why

The ideology is of very high fitness and many many crosses....now when one of those random crosses is deflected to the edge of the box someone just someone might be standing there and he'll shoot with all his strength and the ball might go in or it might hit a defenders leg and deflect in to the goal.. or you get a corner dont they love corners :) it's another free cross.

Fc Barcelona is about spectacle... one statement gentlemen as a conclusion:

we dont have the most La Liga titles or the most champion's league titles in spain but we hold testimony to have always had the most attractive team in spain and the world.

Steven gerrard's style of football is not attractive he doesnt belong with Xavi, injesta, deco, and Ronaldinho.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Moe said:
WTF!!!!!!
Steven gerrard? you've polished this guy way toooo much!!!! he's shit!! compared to what we have... he's one of those small brained cant understand football english players ... he's a freaking kick and Rusher!!!

we want midfielders with dribbling ability who can take on players and create space not another kick and rush long ball english player.... barca is the samba club.. let the english group Rot in Real Madrid ... i mean look at their league? do you understand it? their game is soo haphazard... you never know who is winning and who is not and that's not bec the league is so competetive as they'd put it.. here's why

The ideology is of very high fitness and many many crosses....now when one of those random crosses is deflected to the edge of the box someone just someone might be standing there and he'll shoot with all his strength and the ball might go in or it might hit a defenders leg and deflect in to the goal.. or you get a corner dont they love corners :) it's another free cross.

Fc Barcelona is about spectacle... one statement gentlemen as a conclusion:

we dont have the most La Liga titles or the most champion's league titles in spain but we hold testimony to have always had the most attractive team in spain and the world.

Steven gerrard's style of football is not attractive he doesnt belong with Xavi, injesta, deco, and Ronaldinho.
Man dont mean to be harsH or something but STFU

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Calm down, guys. We're all allowed to have different opinions - it doesn't mean we should get at each other's throats.

Man, I've been FM for less than an hour and already I'm editing posts :eek: :angel:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Look man i dont want to argue with you....you stated no vailid arguments why gerrard isnt a good signing and your hate for EPL is obvious

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
El Fenómeno. said:
If he leaves Liverpool he wants to go to Real Madrid, so he can link up with his best friend Michael Owen.

Sorry to disappoint you Barca fans, but Gerrard will either stay in Liverpool or go to Real Madrid.
Aye? There are no solid rumours of him at all going to Barça I'm just asking other culés their opinion of him and whether they, like me, view him as a "dream" signing. We never talked about anything about him being actually linked, so wtf are you to come here and say "Sorry to disappoint you"?

I don't know where he is going to move, he could move to Madrid, who knows, but your post completely missed the point.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and Moe, I respect your opinion, but I completely disagree. Gerrard can play amazing football, and sure, maybe we want players with high dribbling ability, then why do we have Marquez, Motta, or Edmilson? You can't win with a team of Ronaldinho's, but you can't win with a team of Puyol's either, you need balance.

Gerrard maybe not be a "flashy" player but he is an excellent hardworking defensive midfielders which is exactly what we need. We don't need another dribbling midfielder, especially in an anchor role.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
gerrard is an amazing player,he possesses all the qualities(shoot,crossing,long passes,fighting spirit.....) and i consider him as of one the best midfielder around the world!
but he's too expansive and it's very unlikely to see him wearing a barca jersey next year!!

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
well alright puyol cule i understand your point but steven gerrard is not an anchor player.... if he comes he'd want to take up xavi or deco's place and we cant have that :) they are more skilled than he is

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
This is just the writers point of view nothing more and nothing less it doesn't mean that he would join barca for sure. The writer is just saying that the team that Gerrard might be looking for is barcelona with all those quality footballers around him and all of the success and winning tropheys that he is eager to get his hands on would be barcelona. Chelsea and Real wanted him last season but he didn't leave. Who knows if he might join barca and who knows if even barca might bid for the guy or offer him a deal to join barca! It is just the writer of the articles opinion. I could have written that and stated that Gerrard might get all what he wants at barca, but this is all the writers opinions.

So i guess there is no need for anyone to argue about that.. I would imagine him playing in barca and i was thinking where he could play and i agree with that point with falastini he is either going to take Xavi's or Deco's place, and he is the style of player that is not defensive but who knows if he might be a great deal of CM at barca.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Puyol_Culé said:
Oh, and Moe, I respect your opinion, but I completely disagree. Gerrard can play amazing football, and sure, maybe we want players with high dribbling ability, then why do we have Marquez, Motta, or Edmilson? You can't win with a team of Ronaldinho's, but you can't win with a team of Puyol's either, you need balance.

Gerrard maybe not be a "flashy" player but he is an excellent hardworking defensive midfielders which is exactly what we need. We don't need another dribbling midfielder, especially in an anchor role.
Gerrard doesn't play in an anchor role. He would have to play in Xavi's or Deco's position.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
As long as he stopped his Beckham like dependance on mega long passes. They are ok sometimes, but short quick passing is what we do, and he wouldn't be able to use his longer pass as much as he does at Liverpool. Although UNLIKE Beckham he isn't completely one track.

AND as long as he cut out that flying studs nonsense. He did it TWICE against Olympiakos and should have been sent off before his goal. He's supposed to be a captain, so he should show a bit more class and reserved nature.

His potential and ability to score AND defend well would be useful. But, when everyone is fit, we will have like 4 guys that can play there. Since he would be very expensive.....I'm not sure. If he wanted to come here, and we could get a decent price, then I'd sign him. And it would mean Marquez could stick to defense completely, as well as Edmilson.

But I wouldn't spent a boatload of money just to sign a guy so Madrid can't get him. No point in that, we aren't them.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Visca amazing post man !! great vision you got on football.

as for "Fc Barcelona" you said that gerard has got
shoot,crossing,long passes,fighting spirit.....)......... wow what a list!! all the qualitites of EPL not La Liga... here you need skill skill and skill.

Fighting spirit? is that what makes you go for a player??... fighting spirit? why not go for other qualitites while you're on fighting spirit like honesty, courteasy and good manners, loves his dad and mom and goes to church on sundays.... yeah we'll buy him then.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Moe said:
Visca amazing post man !! great vision you got on football.

as for "Fc Barcelona" you said that gerard has got
shoot,crossing,long passes,fighting spirit.....)......... wow what a list!! all the qualitites of EPL not La Liga... here you need skill skill and skill.

Fighting spirit? is that what makes you go for a player??... fighting spirit? why not go for other qualitites while you're on fighting spirit like honesty, courteasy and good manners, loves his dad and mom and goes to church on sundays.... yeah we'll buy him then.
what he is trying to say that we need someone that could play as an anchor man, who attacks and defends at the same time. Deco and Xavi are playing as CM's but they defend alot and stop counter attacks. What fc barcelona is trying to say is that Gerrard is not that style of player who defends. We are looking for someone who is "combative ball winning defensive midfielder!"

The quote is from falastini :thmbup:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fair points made by all.

I just want to point out that people thought (including me) that Deco would take Xavi's spot but he ended up forming an incredible partnership. Why not the same with Gerrard? True, his price would be through the roof, but I still rate him very highly.

And yes, he has not been linked, this is just a discussion to see other's opinions of him and whether he could "potentially" be a great signing.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts