Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean this to start any flames or anything silly, just something I was thinking about after watching Stevie G so far this Premiership season.

Had Gerrard played like he is playing now, England would have won Euro2004. Simple as that. He's a world class player, no doubt about it, but in Euro his mind was obviously elsewhere, and England severely missed his spark.

Now, four months into the Premiership season, he's in fantastic form. A breathtaking midweek goal against Olympiakos just summed up his fantastic form. Great play in all recent Liverpool matches, despite just coming back from a broken foot, has driven them on and in many ways led to their improved play of late.

Had he displayed these same technical and inspirational qualities in the summer for England, they would've won Euro.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
no we wouldn't , our midfield is unbalanced with both Gerrard and Lampard in it, neither is a controller, we need someone in the middle who can dictate the tempo, these two don't work well together.

if we had Makelele or Vieira in between them two then it would be fantastic, unfortunately we don't.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Isaac said:
I don't mean this to start any flames or anything silly, just something I was thinking about after watching Stevie G so far this Premiership season.

Had Gerrard played like he is playing now, England would have won Euro2004. Simple as that. He's a world class player, no doubt about it, but in Euro his mind was obviously elsewhere, and England severely missed his spark.

Now, four months into the Premiership season, he's in fantastic form. A breathtaking midweek goal against Olympiakos just summed up his fantastic form. Great play in all recent Liverpool matches, despite just coming back from a broken foot, has driven them on and in many ways led to their improved play of late.

Had he displayed these same technical and inspirational qualities in the summer for England, they would've won Euro.
Yes of course - England would never have needed the other 10 players on the field either cause Gerrard could have gone on to win the comp all by himself if he was in the same form as he is now :rollani:

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Maybe if Beckham hadn't been picked we may have had a better chance.

I'm seriously wondering IF beckhma was to be stripped/retired of the England captaincy, who would you like to see as Captain?

Sol, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen?

Lamps would make a decent England captain IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts