Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ladies and gentlemen, our hero, Stevie Gerrard has been named Captain of England for the friendly against Sweden(?)...

Frankly I think it was only a matter of time, and when Becks gets on in years it will be the Age of the Gerrard. Like we've witnessed, he's got all the great qualities a captain should have, and his never-say-die attitude is among his most admirable qualities. There is hardly a player i respect more on the england squad (I hope i'm not too biased there :)). So here's the rundown, from ESPN.

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Skipper Gerrard: 'Dream come true'

Steven Gerrard says leading England in Wednesday's match against Sweden in Gothenburg is 'a dream come true' - but has vowed vowing not to make things hard for himself.

England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson told the 23-year-old Liverpool midfielder he would lead his country in tomorrow's friendly international in the absence of the injured David Beckham.

He explained at a press conference televised on Sky Sports News: 'I was only told this morning - the manager pulled me before training and said he would like me to be captain tomorrow night.

'It's a dream come true for myself but it's still a bit surprising because there are players with more experience than me in the squad.

'But it's very nice to be the captain - and hopefully I can cap it with a win.

'I have a bit of experience being captain at club level but I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself.

'I'll play to the best of my ability and try and get a win for the manager and help the players as I can.'

And a further boost for Gerrard - who becomes only the third player to captain England under Eriksson after team-mate Michael Owen and Beckham - will be playing in his favoured position in central midfield.

He continued: 'Everyone knows my favourite position is central midfield - the role I play for Liverpool.

'I'm not sure about the manager's plans for the summer - but hopefully I can impress tomorrow and this team can keep progressing, that's the important thing.'

As well as Beckham, Owen and the banned Rio Ferdinand, other absentees tomorrow are Sol Campbell, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Wayne Bridge and Kieron Dyer.

And Gerrard admitted: 'It's a loss being without players of the calibre we are missing tomorrow night - but it's a loss but it's an opportunity for some players to come in and shine and hopefully it'll go well for those who get the chance tomorrow.'

The Liverpool man added that he was pleased Eriksson put pen to paper on a new contract to lead England beyond this summer's European Championships.

He said: 'He's the right man to lead us into the tournament in the summer - but I think it's time everyone forgets about what's gone on and plays some football tomorrow.'

Gerrard insisted it was time to put a week of uncertainty and speculation about Eriksson's position to one side as the squad prepare to face the Swedes.

'Personally I don't think there was any doubt in him signing the new contract, I was always confident he would and now he has signed that will stop. It doesn't help the England manager or the team,' he said.

'All the squad is behind him, the fans are happy he's staying and I think it's time the whole country gets behind him and we can hopefully have a successful tournament [at Euro 2004].'

The Liverpool captain, who has been forced to withdraw from national team gatherings many times in the past through injury and was ruled out of the 2002 World Cup, insists he is healthy despite a long, hard season and expects to be well rested for the European Championship opener against France.

'We've played a lot of football, most of the lads in the Premiership have played a lot, but that's what we get paid to do.

'I'm feeling really good and I'm sure the other lads are feeling good as well. I'm sure everybody will be firing on all cylinders by the time the France game comes round,' he told a press conference.

Asked if he had any advice for those players in the squad for the first time, Gerrard said: 'I would say just enjoy it. I've been there myself and I would say not to try too hard, do what you do at club level and enjoy the experience.'

--------------------------------------------------------

Attention! Scouser on the bridge! Captain Gerrrrrrrrarrrrrrrrrrrd!:star:

M

·
0 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:
well ladies and gentlemen, our hero, Stevie Gerrard has been named Captain of England for the friendly against Sweden(?)...

Frankly I think it was only a matter of time, and when Becks gets on in years it will be the Age of the Gerrard. Like we've witnessed, he's got all the great qualities a captain should have, and his never-say-die attitude is among his most admirable qualities. There is hardly a player i respect more on the england squad (I hope i'm not too biased there :)). So here's the rundown, from ESPN.

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Steven Gerrard says leading England in Wednesday's match against Sweden in Gothenburg is 'a dream come true' - but has vowed vowing not to make things hard for himself.

England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson told the 23-year-old Liverpool midfielder he would lead his country in tomorrow's friendly international in the absence of the injured David Beckham.

He explained at a press conference televised on Sky Sports News: 'I was only told this morning - the manager pulled me before training and said he would like me to be captain tomorrow night.

'It's a dream come true for myself but it's still a bit surprising because there are players with more experience than me in the squad.

'I have a bit of experience being captain at club level but I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself.

'I'll play to the best of my ability and try and get a win for the manager and help the players as I can.'

And a further boost for Gerrard - who becomes only the third player to captain England under Eriksson after team-mate Michael Owen and Beckham - will be playing in his favoured position in central midfield.

He continued: 'Everyone knows my favourite position is central midfield - the role I play for Liverpool.

'I'm not sure about the manager's plans for the summer - but hopefully I can impress tomorrow and this team can keep progressing, that's the important thing.'

As well as Beckham, Owen and the banned Rio Ferdinand, other absentees tomorrow are Sol Campbell, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Wayne Bridge and Kieron Dyer.

And Gerrard admitted: 'It's a loss being without players of the calibre we are missing tomorrow night - but it's a loss but it's an opportunity for some players to come in and shine and hopefully it'll go well for those who get the chance tomorrow.'

The Liverpool man added that he was pleased Eriksson put pen to paper on a new contract to lead England beyond this summer's European Championships.

He said: 'He's the right man to lead us into the tournament in the summer - but I think it's time everyone forgets about what's gone on and plays some football tomorrow.'

Gerrard insisted it was time to put a week of uncertainty and speculation about Eriksson's position to one side as the squad prepare to face the Swedes.

'Personally I don't think there was any doubt in him signing the new contract, I was always confident he would and now he has signed that will stop. It doesn't help the England manager or the team,' he said.

'All the squad is behind him, the fans are happy he's staying and I think it's time the whole country gets behind him and we can hopefully have a successful tournament [at Euro 2004].'

The Liverpool captain, who has been forced to withdraw from national team gatherings many times in the past through injury and was ruled out of the 2002 World Cup, insists he is healthy despite a long, hard season and expects to be well rested for the European Championship opener against France.

'We've played a lot of football, most of the lads in the Premiership have played a lot, but that's what we get paid to do.

'I'm feeling really good and I'm sure the other lads are feeling good as well. I'm sure everybody will be firing on all cylinders by the time the France game comes round,' he told a press conference.

Asked if he had any advice for those players in the squad for the first time, Gerrard said: 'I would say just enjoy it. I've been there myself and I would say not to try too hard, do what you do at club level and enjoy the experience.'

:star: Gerrard. :proud:

He should always be our captain. Don't get me wrong, I like Beckham, but Gerrard would make a much better captain in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Re: Re: Gerrard: A Captain for all Seasons

Mike said:
:star: Gerrard. :proud:

He should always be our captain. Don't get me wrong, I like Beckham, but Gerrard would make a much better captain in my opinion.
I completely agree, Gerrard is a fantastic captain and leader. To me he's a much more natural leader than Beckham and definitely than Owen who lacks a certain inspirational element that Gerrard has.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

You should use that pic in your avatar; a monumental event for Stevie! :D

·
International
9,526 Posts
Good move spreading the captaincy around....I'd generally prefer it to be with someone in the midfield, preferably the centre, as they are going to be involved in the majority of the play.

But Gerrard is an obvious choice anyway. He's world class, no doubt about it. I'd be interested to hear though, how he performed with the added responsibility on his shoulders, for England.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The best thing Gerard Houllier has done since he was appointed manager was to name Steven Gerrard as captain. He has been brilliant this season and his disciplinary record is superb and he aint even been booked yet. I just wish the other 10 muppets we have playing with Gerrard week in and week out had his drive and determination we might be genuine title contenders and challenging to be in the Champions League. Well in Steven

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
The Magician said:
The best thing Gerard Houllier has done since he was appointed manager was to name Steven Gerrard as captain. He has been brilliant this season and his disciplinary record is superb and he aint even been booked yet. I just wish the other 10 muppets we have playing with Gerrard week in and week out had his drive and determination we might be genuine title contenders and challenging to be in the Champions League. Well in Steven
I think that's a little harsh on Baros and Carragher, who IMHO have both been busting their guts every week as well.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Stevie G will be the best Captain England ever have. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts