• USA (PKs)

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Germans have looked solid if unimpressive while the Americans have lightning quick if inconsistent. It will come down to the defenses if the US defense can stand to the physical punishement of the Germans and if the Germans can keep up with the speed of the Americans.:)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hope both team will break the record of...yellow and red cards; then frought for exhausting 120 mins, finally a never ending PK shoot out...:fero:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Normally you'd say a walk in the park for the Germans. On the other hand that was probably what Portugal though when they saw the draw. One thing is sure if the USA manages to go ahead in this game they will play semi's.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
An interesting match in prospect

An impressive display by USA but they were helped by the most lackluster display mexico has come up with in recent times. Their coach got it all wrong. Time and again USA has proved to be good on the counter and it was wrong for mexico to have gone in search of a goal that early.I still havent seen USA creating a chance and scoring out of nothing.

Lets face it, USA were very very lucky in this match. The first goal was imo scored in very dubious circumstances. They won a free kick a little way outside the penalty box but they took the free kick miles away from where they were supposed to, thereby giving themselves an unfair advantage.The referee should have insisted on another free kick.

Secondly, there was a definite hand ball inside the area in the middle of the second half.But the ref didnt see it.It might have ( and i think would have) been a different story if that penalty had been awarded.

but anyway, all that matters is that USA will face germany on friday.
And its good to see a team in the quarters for the first time. Like senegal, USA have done well to get this far.Like i said, an interesting match in prospect.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Well, Germany are very reliable in these situations usually and its really their game to lose now.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I hate both teams but I expect Germany to win. You're right they just don't mess up games this important. I think they will win 2-0.
I really hate them though and they are lucky to have got this far as they have not played one great nation yet. When they do, probably Italy or Spain in the semis, they will be found out.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Well, with the substitutes we did beat them 4-2 ,so with a full squad i think it will be 3-0 with klose ensuring the golden boot award.:D

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
The US over the Beer boys in the Penalty Kicks ... And I reaaaally hope the German players are as overconfident as their fans here..'cause then it hurts even more .. :dielaugh:

;)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I will pick the US to win the match 1-0, in overtime.

And if the result goes through, I will never ever forget about this match. I figure most people assume that the Germans will win it 5-0 or sth. I like that attitude.

Portugal and Mexico thought the exact same thing and they are both going home.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I dont really like any of these teams, and i wont be watching the match but i expect ze Germans to win 2-1, 2-0

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Deniz said:
I will pick the US to win the match 1-0, in overtime.

And if the result goes through, I will never ever forget about this match. I figure most people assume that the Germans will win it 5-0 or sth. I like that attitude.

Portugal and Mexico thought the exact same thing and they are both going home.
I doubt even the German fanatics think they will win by that score.

I doubt it will be more then a goal or two difference, but thing is the Germans don't usually fall in such matches.

Then again, this already is a weird and unpredictable WC as it is...so....

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Advantage on USA >>>> Pressure on Germany

I think German should play this easily but don't underestimate the USA.

Be careful on some players who are good in provoking others : Landon.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I think the end has come for USA's little adventure. They've been quite sursprising in this turnament. They've played great, BUT definitely very lucky to come this far. The match against Mexico was indeed one where they had the margins with them. Although they've gotten points against teams as Portugal, who was favs to go far and a very well playing home team from Korea, I think Germany will be their last opponent in the turnament. Germany has played well and solid and I think they've been quite satisfied as not being favourites to win this year's title.

So all in all. Goodbye USA!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Germany on penalties.

Someone said - "it takes a brave man to bet against the Irish" - well guess this applies to the American team. Sensational is the word to be used about their WC run!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Cant wait for friday. For those who dont think much of germanys chances , remember that the win against paraguay was without three key players in ramelow, hamman and ziege. Can england play without beckham, heskey and scholes?

Also dont forget that more key players never made it to WC bcos of injury - Nowotny, diesler,scholl. With these players,I am sure Germany would have done much better.

I cant stand people who think the german style of play is boring. Well I am an indian and my opinion cannot be biased by patriotism - I like the german style of play - they play to a plan with clinical precision, no flashy shots or pointless runs or aimless long balls - They rely on quick neat and accurate passing and some unspectacular but efficient finishing.Klose may not have the grace of a del piero or the dribbling skills of denilson or ortega but he can put the ball in the net just as well.

I hope germany beat USA and meet italy in the semis.That should be an intriguing match up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well the way this German team is performing somehow
reminds me of the 1982 team.I know that the 82 team had more talent but it won quite a few matches playing "boring" soccer
and definitely didn't deserve to beat france in the semis.I believe
that Germany will win this match 1-0 or 2-1.
The germans must be careful to not overcommit in the first 45 minutes for the US is basically a counter attacking team with no player in the middle to control possesion, their only player with
such quality claudio reyna is having a bad world cup.Once 60 minutes are up and the US is not up then Germany can up the Pressure and attack more for i don't think the US defence can hold out for the 90 minutes without giving the Germans clear goal scoring opputunities.
gautam,
Its right that most people don't appreciate disciplined,solid
soccer but most people would prefer the flamboyant Brazialian style of attacking soccer which is more pleasing to the eye.However most calcio watchers appreciate good solid defending and stifling,physical soccer played by the current German team.Hope they give asamoah a run out,;) he is an exciting player and can play as a winger as well.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I dont see how some of you say we are so lucky to be this far. We didnt play the most beautiful game against mexico and we gave up possession but that was part of the game plan. unlike 99% of the footballing world we dont have a set in stone style of play. we are more then likely the most flexible team in the tournament. If that helps or hurts ??? I don't know for sure.We let them attack and picked our chances. The US and Mexico know each other as well as germany, england brazil, argentina ect ect. Luck is not what won us that game. Yes, luck was on our side against portugal but that is not won that game either.
As for missing key players and winning We beat the portugese without our equal to zidane and henry , now dont mis quote me and think I said that mathis and reyna are as good as those two. I am claiming that our most dangerous foward and playmaker were missing. Although I will be honest Reyna has been extremely disapointing. I am going to go out on a limb and say that no matter what the reuslt is win or lose , you guys will never want to recognize us as a footballing nation. Buts its ok we have some unfinished business to care care of from 98. WE WILL SHOCK THE WORLD ONE MORE TIME ( i hope) may the best team win !!

Austin formerly lilphenom

·
Registered
25 Posts
1982 team

In1982 the German team in the person of Harald Schumacher defended by attempting to kill forwards, I don't think you can do that now, Germany will be found out eventually and get hammered by someone. Can't wait to see the dissapoint in Rudi's eyes!!
GO USA!!!!!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts