Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now will see how good this german side really is???:)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Nil-nil I'd say. We'll be resting our best players in the hope of clocking up enough goals against KSA to qualify. Oh wait a minute, no, we'll be sending home our best players and going out early, that's it.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
0-0????

No chance. I think we'll either draw 1-1 or win 2-1. I can't see Stan and Breen keeping the Germans quiet for 90 mins. I think Keane and Duff will cause the German defence trouble, but I'd like to see Clinton get a run.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For me Ireland is a strong team and why not a win over Germany? Germans may be having a good mood after the 8-0 so maybe it's not so easy for Ireland but I still believe Ireland can do well

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Germany V Republic Of Ireland
Germany - Ireland | News Archive

Germany will find Ireland much harder (Allsport)
06/04/2002. BACKGROUND

For just about the first time in half a century Germany are unfancied and do not have the pressure of expectation from their home fans on their shoulders. This could have a positive effect on the side, although the way they obliterated a disgracefully poor Saudi Arabian team on Saturday may have restored some optimism back in Germany.

Germany's 8-0 win against the Asian side isn't their first big win in recent months, but I think we will have to wait till they have faced decent opposition before we judge whether they are indeed on the way back to something resembling the force that German football used to be.

What a difference 90 minutes makes.

Written off as being divided, unprepared and without their greatest player going into Saturday's opening clash with Cameroon, the Irish emerged with heads held high, a worthy second half performance behind them - and a point.

It was in the closing 45 minutes that **** McCarthy's squad came into their own - via a combination of the manager's determination and useful half-time switches.

As a result, Ireland find themselves in a much more positive and healthy frame of mind heading into match two, against Germany.

LATEST TEAM NEWS

Germany are set to make one change from the team than annihilated Saudi Arabia on Saturday. Hertha Berlin defender Marko Rehmer has recovered from ankle and shoulder injuries and should replace Dortmund's Christoph Metzelder in the side.

The draw with Cameroon saw injuries to Shay Given, Gary Breen, Jason McAteer and Steve Finnan.

Of those four, McAteer is carrying the longest-term injury, having damaged his hamstring in a pre-tournament friendly against Sanfreece Hiroshima.

Breen has sat out training over the past three days, but Given and Finnan should be fit.

The Newcastle keeper received a bump to the head during the Niigata encounter with Cameroon, but has suffered no ill-effects.

PROBABLE LINEUPS

Germany: (3-5-2): Kahn ?Linke, Ramelow, Rehmer ?Frings, Hamann, Schneider, Ballack, Ziege ?Jancker, Klose.

Ireland: (5-3-2): Given; Finnan, Staunton, Cunningham, Harte, Holland, Kinsella, Kelly, Kilbane, Duff, Keane.

FORM GUIDE

Germany's last seven internationals - DWWWLWW

Germany have been scoring for fun in recent months, notching up at least four goals in five of their last six matches, although against inferior opposition. Their one tough test came against Argentina and Rudi Voller's side lost that 1-0 at home.

Ireland's last seven internationals - WWLWWWLD

Very much a case of softly, softly - recent defeats against Iran and Nigeria have proved beneficial, though there hasn't been a major test from a European side since the win over the Netherlands on September 1 of last year.

WHO IS HOT

Germany:

Kaiserslautern's Miroslav Klose probably won't have been many, if anyone's pick for the Golden Boot, but he is already half way to the six goal total that has recently been good enough to secure the honour. Klose will be looking to add to his hat-trick against the Saudi's, which he took in style.

Ireland:

Mark Kinsella and Matt Holland - Both covered every blade of grass in Saturday's draw with the African champions, and tellingly, despite being midfielders, both were within inches of Patrick Mboma when he scored from close range against the Irish at the weekend.

Both players fulfilled the role that would have been allotted to sacked captain Roy Keane, with Holland long-range first-time strike early in the second half resulting in a worthy opening Irish goal of the tournament.

An honourable mention too to Shay Given - who kept Ireland in it during the first half against the Indomitable Lions.

WHO IS NOT

Germany:

How can you someone after they have just beaten someone 8-0? However, I will nominate Christian Ziege for having the worst hair style at the World Cup.

Ireland:

Jason McAteer isn't in fine form going into this one, mainly due to his recent hamstring twinge.

Looked uncomfortable against Cameroon, and was forced off at half-time.

May not play on Wednesday as a result.

PREVIOUS ENCOUNTERS

This will be the 15th time the nations will have met, yet only their first in a competitive fixture.

The most memorable clashes so far both came in the Jack Charlton era. The first, in September 1989, finished one-all and marked Liam Brady's 73rd and last international appearance for Ireland. Brady's substitution after just half an hour was greeted with a chorus of boos. Many felt his international career had been snuffed out too soon and that he could still have had a major part to play in the 1990 World Cup, pending selection. Brady did make it to Italy but only as a TV commentator.

Despite a recent win over the Netherlands in Tilburg, no-one was expecting much when Ireland travelled to Hanover a month before the 1994 World Cup for a pre-tournament friendly. What followed was nothing short of remarkable goals from Tony Cascarino and Leeds new boy Gary Kelly earned the visitors an unlikely 2-0 win and raised Irish hopes of an even more successful campaign in the United States than had been achieved in Italy. That didn't come to pass, though those victories over both the Dutch and the Germans remain very sweet to this day.

OVERALL:
Ireland - 5 wins (latest 1994)
Germany 7 wins (latest 1981)
Draws - 2

soccerage

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
No way, German is too good!!! German will win it by 2 goals .. at least ,..... especially I put $20 on it ....

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
You and your bets... have you eaten the slip from the Portugal- USA game yet?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Gotta be a low scoring match as Germany must have used their goal-quota ;)

I hope for a draw or an Ireland win - I like the Irish fighting spirit a lot.
My brain say that Germany wins but you never know (right now watching USA leading Portugal 3-2)

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Im predicting a DRAW ;)

·
94,487 Posts
Line-Ups

Germany / Ireland
Oliver Kahn / Shay Given
Thomas Linke / Steve Finnan
Carsten Ramelow / Ian Harte
Christian Ziege / Steve Staunton
Dietmar Hamann / Matt Holland
Carsten Jancker / Damien Duff
Miroslav Klose / Robbie Keane
Michael Ballack / Kevin Kilbane
Bernd Schneider / Mark Kinsella
Christoph Metzelder / Gary Breen
Torsten Frings/ Gary Kelly

:cool:

·
94,487 Posts
Folks ...............

Game Underway .............

May the BETTER Team take the 3 pts .... If not Let's draw

;)

·
94,487 Posts
Min 19

Klose.........................Gol Gol Gol for Germania ......

Up in the Air Again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Germany 1 Ireland 0

;)

·
94,487 Posts
MIN 31

Germany 1 Ireland 0

Free Kick in Germanys favour .....

;)

·
94,487 Posts
dubh-ban said:
You and your bets... have you eaten the slip from the Portugal- USA game yet?
A Classic ............ He's looking for ketchup to make the swalloeing a little easier !!!

bahawah !!!!!!!! :dielaugh:

·
94,487 Posts
min .43

Klose goals is makinn the difference..at 2 minutes from 1/2 time

;)

·
94,487 Posts
EOFH

To the Lockers ................. Close score still ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts