Germany v Argentina

Kick-off: Saturday, 14 Novemeber 2009
Stadium: Allianz Arena (Munich)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Germany Squad:

Goalkeepers: Rene Adler (Bayer Leverkusen), Manuel Neuer (Schalke).

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Hamburger SV), Arne Friedrich (Hertha Berlin), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Werder Bremen), Marcel Schaefer (Wolfsburg), Serdar Tasci (Stuttgart).

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Chelsea), Christian Gentner (Wolfsburg), Thomas Hitzlsperger (Lazio), Aaron Hunt (Werder Bremen), Marcell Jansen (Hamburger SV), Sami Khedira (Stuttgart), Toni Kroos (Bayer Leverkusen), Marko Marin (Werder Bremen), Thomas Mueller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Oezil (Werder Bremen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Christian Traesch (Stuttgart), Piotr Trochowski (Hamburger SV).

Forwards: Cacau (Stuttgart), Mario Gomez (Bayern Munich), Stefan Kiessling (Bayer Leverkusen), Miroslav Klose (Bayern Munich), Lukas Podolski (Cologne).

--------------------------------​

Argentina Squad:

Goalkeapers: Mariano Andujar (Catania), Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar).

Defenders: Martin Demichelis (Bayern Munich), Nicolas Otamendi (Velez Sarsfield), Walter Samuel (Inter Milan), Nicolas Burdisso (Inter Milan), Clemente Rodriguez (Estudiantes).
Gabriel Heinze (Marseille)

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle), Angel Di Maria (Benfica), Juan Sebastian Veron (Estudiantes), Jesus Datolo (Olympiacos), Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina).

Forwards: Javier Pastore (Palermo), Carlos Tevez (Manchester City), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid), Diego Milito (Inter Milan).

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probable-line up:
(Predicted by Kicker)

Germany

Adler - Boateng, Mertesaker, Tasci, Lahm - Schweinsteiger, Ballack - Müller, Özil, Podolski - Klose

Argentina

Romero - Heinze, Demichelis, Samuel, Rodriguez - Verón, Mascherano - di María, Gutiérrez - Higuaín, Messi

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I prefer this line-up for both teams:

Germany (4-4-2)
Adler - Lahm, Mertesaker, Tasci, Schaefer - Ballack, Schweinsteiger - Özil, Jansen (Müller) - Gomez, Kiessling (Klose)

Argentina (4-3-3)
Romero - Otamendi, Demichelis, Samuel, Rodriguez - Mascherano - Dí María, Verón - Messi, Higuaín - Milito

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
-----Romero
Otamendi-----Demichelis----Samuel-----Hienze-
----------Mascherano(C)
-------------Verón
Jonas----------------Di Maria
---Messi--------Higuain----

This is how Maradona will most probably start against Germany tonight.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
We usually only play good at tournaments or qualification matches but Maradona is as crap a coach as possible so it will be interesting.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We suck at friendly matches!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Impresive how Cacau changed Germany tonight.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Germany played a friendly for 90 minutes. Argentina played for real. The surprise is they only had so few chances (and actually scored from a huge keeper mistake). If we meet with these two teams in a tournament it will be a walkover for Germany. I don't really understand why we play friendlies at all during these periods. Whenever it is during the league season it is totally useless.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not upset about loosing a friendly match, mainly because Germany has always struggled in friendly matches and then provide good tournaments. Anyway, Germany played well on the second half, however there are a lot of details that Germany has to overcome if we are serious about winning the WC 2010. First of all, having Boateng as RB is a big issue because he is very slow and not only that but also because he hardly attack. On the other side, having Lahm playing now after a LOT of time as RB changing him to the LB position will only screw him more and more. Louis van Gaal and Jogi Löw should have a conversation and see were Lahm is best at. On the other hand, I want to bealive that Adler was just nervous or having an off-day cause he SUCKED today. He didn't need to go against Higuain so quickly and then on the second half he almost cost us the second goal. The Tasci and Mertesaker pair in central defense is OK, the problem is in our defensive midfield, that to much players pass them with controlled balls. I don't like the Schweinsteiger-Ballack pair in midfield. They allow to many passes from the Argentinians and defensive-tactics are really bad, neither of them recuperates the ball. If Löw wants to play with this pair in central midfield, I STRONGLY recommend that Khedira plays behind them as CDM and then Germany can play with a diamond midfield, Ballack and Schweinsteiger creating chances and Kroos/Özil as COM. Also, Thomas Müller was good today and could surelly be a good alternative in the WC. Finally, Cacau proved his worth today although I don't know if that is enough for him to be at the WC. Podolski, Klose and Gomez are practically sure to be at the WC and then again maybe Kiessling wont be called.

After seing the Germany matches in the WC qualification process and the friendly matches, I say that Germany should play with a 4-3-1-2 like this:

----------------------------Adler-------------------------
-----Lahm------Mertesacker-------Tasci----Schaefer------

----------------------------Khedira-----------------------
--------------------Ballack---------Schweinsteiger--------

-------------------------Kroos/Özil------------------------
----------------Gomez--------------Podolski/Klose----------​

Doubts:
  • Should Schaefer start? Lahm needs to play as RB, for Bayern's/Germany's/his own advantage.
  • If we want to play with wingers, then choose Müller as RM and Jansen as LM. Then keep Khedira and bench either Schweinsteiger or Ballack.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
"W/O for Germany" in a competitive match if they played again lol like it Tigerheart.

Maybe Argentina are not that bad.

Agree though that Germany would have to be looked at as the ones to be on in a meeting in the world cup at a later date if it came around.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
I don't think Germany is strong enough to win this WC btw, Felipe. But we for sure will go far as we almost always do and for me we are top favourites in 2014.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
. Also, Thomas Müller was good today and could surelly be a good alternative in the WC. Finally, Cacau proved his worth today although I don't know if that is enough for him to be at the WC. [/LIST]
I thought Muller had an underwhelming game.

Based on that performance, Cacau has to be in the squad. There was no imagination and creativity from anyone else. Ozil was completely listless today. He's apparently having a poor run for werder too, isn't he.

I don't see how Podolski can be part of this squad. His club form has nose dived and all he did was play safe and make sure he didn't make mistakes. That's not what you want from an attacking player. His record is great but you can't throw form out of the window. Loew is making a mistake here.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought Müller had an underwhelming game.
He was Ok for his first NT appereance. He can certanly be usefull in the WC, but I rather take Kroos instead of him for 2010.

Ozil was completely listless today. He's apparently having a poor run for Werder too, isn't he.
Exactly why I want Kroos in the WC!

I don't see how Podolski can be part of this squad. His club form has nose dived and all he did was play safe and make sure he didn't make mistakes. That's not what you want from an attacking player. His record is great but you can't throw form out of the window. Loew is making a mistake here.
I totally agree with you. Imo, I'd give Kuranyi a chance. He is a very good form and scoring tons of goals. At least take him and Poldi and then decide who. I'd take Gomez, Podolski, Klose, Kiessling and Kuranyi as strikers for the WC. Low will probably take them but instead of Kuranyi he'll take Cacau and probably dropp Kiessling.

I don't think Germany is strong enough to win this WC btw, Felipe. But we for sure will go far as we almost always do and for me we are top favourites in 2014.
If Low understands how to form the team in a clever tactical way and balanced in offensive and defensive then I think we have a fair chance. We need fast players, just like Cacau today, that move the ball quickly and that are not afraid to go man to man with the defenders.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Poldi will be in the squad for sure most likely being a starter. I agree obviously that is a big mistake but we have to live with the coaches decisions. It will also be 100% sure that Kuranyi won't get a second chance. He should have given Kroos 45 minutes today imo. The second half should have been with him in for Özil. Özil has not been on top of his game lately but at least at Werder he is not doing bad, just average with high expectations from everybody.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldn't go that far... sure they suck right now for the NT, but they are young, they can only improve. See their performance in HSV and Bayern respectivelly, very good indeed. Just bench them for players that are in form currently or that perform well under the NT preassure. I'm sure that Boateng and Gomez will be crucial for the WC 2014 if they are given time and trust.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Germany played a friendly for 90 minutes. Argentina played for real. The surprise is they only had so few chances (and actually scored from a huge keeper mistake). If we meet with these two teams in a tournament it will be a walkover for Germany. I don't really understand why we play friendlies at all during these periods. Whenever it is during the league season it is totally useless.

What a pile of fooking shyte! Ballack injured two of our players and was going for more! Actually it was Argentina palyers taking it easy and were afraid of injuries.

The way Germany played was disgraceful! To defend with 10 on your own turf is actually not friendly but rather very scared!

I liked the walkover thingy:D You are one delusional mother fooker buddy:howler:

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
I don't go to your forum to talk nonsense so do us a favour and do the same. Your opinion is of no value for anybody here. However you are entitled to your wrong opinion, just leave us alone with it... :rollani:

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Of course we are a tournament team, but this tournament will be over for us after the quarters i suppose.
Even if it was just a test match in which we usually suck ( as tigerheart described...), our team simply lacks class.

- Ballack and Klose have become old, they are not the players anymore they were 4 years ago.

- Podolski has turned from a bright prospect into an utter piece of crap. Only Jogi Löw knows why he is still called to the NT - maybe another 'Amarell case' ?

- Gomez seems to be overrated, he never performed for our NT anyway but also his Bundesliga season is not very good. I thought he could develop into a world class striker on the level of a player like RvN or Drogba a couple of years ago but i was wrong

- Mertesacker and Lahm have stopped in their development, they have not become better players ( as everyone expected 4 years ago) since the last world cup. In fact, Mertesacker is having a poor season as well.

- overall, our entire defense is by far not on the level which is needed to deliver a real competition in a World Cup tournament.

- the same can be said about our attack which seems to be even worse than the defense

Özil, Khedira and Kroos can become great players but this world cup is coming a little bit too soon, at least no one can expect them to take a commanding role in the german squad yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts