Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 8-0 vicotry by the German side over an admittedly weak Saudi team, was impressive, if for nothing else, the physical ability of the Germans. I know there is more to the game than being large and fast, but a few large fast tough fit smart guys are always nice to have as teammates!

The German aerial game would give our short defenders the same fits it gave the Saudis. Also, the Saudis proved you CANNOT give any other WC team space and time or they will punish you. I hope that is a lesson our guys saw form the tele. (God, do thay have to watch and hear the ESPN announcers, too? If so, I hope they don't quit the sport before we play our games!)

What did you guys think of the Irish? Second half they slowly earned the upper hand. Duff and their Rob Keane were hustling dudes with some speed, but no more talented or as fast as Donovan or DMB. Their success on the wings may mean that we can do the same against quality teams.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I know it was only Saudi Arabia, but the German team looked like the German team of old...they attacked from all sides....backs made their runs, their crosses were great, the passing unbelievable, and of course they won anything in the air because they were a much bigger side. It was a great performance from them, and I think the fact that there is not much pressure on them helps. They are not considered a favorite and the funny thing is that people think that Italy should have no problem because the bracket is without Brazil, France, England, and Argentina...so I figure they think that the Germans will be a pushover...

As for Ireland, I think they go outplayed in the first half and for about 15 minutes of the second half. Cameroon if they could finish their shots should have won this game. But, that is the nature of an Irish game, they will try to slow the game down, catch you napping, and of course they will play a hardnosed game.

Well, the way I look at it is like this....I don't think either side can beat Germany. I think the Irish will give up less goals to the Germans than Cameroon, but, I also think that Cameroon can score more goals than the Irish against Saudi Arabia....so it will come down to a plus minus sitation for second place....

As for the announcers....I mentioned it in the "I hate ESPN" thread...Kehoe and Edwards are just bad. But, the Univision guys don't seem to be that great either. The other the play by play guy is not as good as Cantor with his goal call, and the color guy sound like he is going to have a heart attack with every shot...just watch a game on Univision, a player takes a shot, and you can hear him saying, "oh....oh...."

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well, it seems obvious that this win will give the Germans a much needed boost of confidence, and will force opponents to confront a much different side then they were hoping for.

I must say, I believe that people seem to be over-reacting to this victory because they can't fathom an 8-0 scoreline in soccer.
I hope those people understand that Germany spent almost no energy defending, they were never put on their back foot and the headers were mostly uncontested.

As we saw in the Cameroon-Ireland game; once Ireland made a substitution (Finnan in for Mcateer) , they improved in the midfield and were able to prolong attacks by breaking up Cameroons attempts to break out.
The first 30 minutes of the 2nd half were Irish domination; the opposite of the 1st half, where Cameroon had the edge.

Soccer is played by 2 teams. Germany was on their own, almost as if it was a training session. Would we be impressed if we heard that Germany beat the Kashima Antlers 8-0 in a warm-up game. The way the Saudi's played on the day, they probably weren't much better than a local Japanese or Korean team.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
No offense, but that Saudi performance was definitely one of the weakest in World Cup competition that I have seen in forty-four years!

·
Registered
538 Posts
In keeping with the combination thread of this one and the I hate ESPN one....

My favorite part of the game was that blithering fool Tommy Smyth blustering about how after England went to Munich and stuffed Germany, that it was a wake up call for German football...

"You can't do dat to de Germans......." He stated
" If you do, dey will remember it and come back stronger dan ever"

Yeah right.... 8-0 against a bunch of tea towel-less midgets and they are a super power again

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Oldsocfan said:
No offense, but that Saudi performance was definitely one of the weakest in World Cup competition that I have seen in forty-four years!
None taking :( that was our worst ever performance :( .. what a time to do that :cry:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I am reserving my opinion on wether Germany are back from the dead. They played a very week side that came into the match already beaten. They played with no heart and the Germans took it too them. The US could have had the same result if the Saudis played that way against them.
That being said My team watched this match and it captured there attention, and in practice yesterday that was all they could talk about. I think this result will keep them interested in watching more than the US games.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was watching the Ireland v Cameroon on CBC Windsor and ESPN. The Canadien feed was 10 minutes ahead of the ESPN one. When the Irish player got a yellow, the BBC announcer noted that if the Lions had been able to quick kick they would have had a break with superior numbers. That's why it was a smart play and an acceptable yellow card. The ESPN feed noted that it was a pretty weak tackle to deserve a yellow and that the refs were cracking down on tackles. Jackamoes were completely clueless.

On the non call in the box against Slovenia. The forward had played the ball too far in front of himself and had no chance on goal. I think it was a good no call. The pk for Spain was a joke. The Slovenian played the ball and the Spainiard tripped over his foot. I'm not even sure it was in the penalty area. Bad call.

Look for Spain to choke in the next game and go belly up in the third.:tongue:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
No longer sleeping......but caught snoozing today Vs Ireland..And we all know thw old sayin that goes :

"when you snooze..you LOSE"

;)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
What a last-second goal from Robbie Keane:cool:
I was really shocked by it, since they really couldn't take advantage of their scoring opportunities all day long, until the waning seconds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts