Erich Ribbeck left at 4,15am, the FA closed the
bill, but the players started boozing on their
own account, spending more than £300, though beer
was still for free as it was sponsored by a
German brewery. Photos have been published today
showing players like Jens Jeremies drinking and
smoking and the reports suggest the players
started singing at five o'clock in the morning,
with drunk players insulting journalists.
Dariusz Woscz has denied today he has taken part
in the party, but the rest of the squad have
turned off their mobiles and do not answer their
phones.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
"It is claimed that a meal started at
2,10am and ended at 3,30am with Lothar Matthaeus
and Oliver Kahn going to sleep, ..."

(whoops! Even Kahn and Matthaus go to bed earlier than I do these days :eek: )

Now, what does that mean? :confused:
I believe (at least from what I've read and heard) that Kahn is really taking all the blame. There's even this paragraph talking that he won't be Germany's nr.1 again.

Hello! :mad: Please let it not be true! Perhaps Kahn's mainly to blame for the 2nd goal. But actually it wasn't a silly blunder 'coz it was a swerving ball - can fool 'keepers - and yes, perhaps a goalkeeper of his calibre shouldn't have let it in. But it wasn't like de Wilde's blunder in Belgium vs Sweden!

It wasn't Kahn's day, yes, but I can't see why he should be the one to blame. It's not his fault that the rest couldn't score! I was disappointed by Germany's defence that night.

The partying thing is indeed :eek: I can't comprehend it! But I have my faith on Kahn...I dunno but to me that he (and Matthaus) went to bed after the meal -thus not involved in the 'party' has some significance!

-- Nedved! in mourning :( --

D

·
0 Posts
Sensible Matthaus, sensible Kahn, disappointed with other veterans like Thomas Hassler, and Markus Babbel, did they go partying and drinking too?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a friend in the UK who's crazy about the German team and she's very upset about all the reports continuing to come out about the German squad. I'm pretty upset too....In fact, what Lothar said about looking at a player's character makes alot of sense--choose players who WANT to play for their country!

I think Kahn is the sort of man who takes losses hard, and I hope he'll still be the #1 for many years! He's my favorite player....and he's one heeuva keeper!

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Debs:

What Matthaus advised about picking the players who'll give their 100% to the team is essentially true...
But about his trashing the rest of the squad, and claiming that most of them don't seem committed to the team, that the rest of the squad are a disgrace, I suggest to your friend not to swallow that one!
A reminder: Matthaus has a good relationship with the German media...I would believe him if he said several players weren't committed, but to blame the whole team? And what makes his comment about the rest of the squad more questionable is that, he wasn't willing to admit that he played badly in Euro 2000...Something that everyone else (at least foreign media) seems to notice...
So don't lose faith in the German national team just because what Matthaus said. That might mot be totally true. After all, it's no secret that the other players are against his being called up to the team for Euro 2000... It took someone as influential as Klinsmann to win a war against Matthaus!
While I just admire Kahn the more after Euro 2000. :cool: As he admitted, he's a perfectionist who sets high standard for himself. If he can turn this nightmare of Euro 2000 to something good, that is as a motivation to be even better, than that's very good of him.
Do bounce back, Kahn!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts