Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday, May 9, 2002

Germany 7-0 Kuwait: Bierhoff treble

FREIBURG, Germany, May 9 (Reuters) - Three goals from former captain Oliver Bierhoff helped Germany to a morale-boosting 7-0 thrashing of Kuwait in a World Cup warm-up game on Thursday.

The Monaco striker scored twice in the first half as the three-times world champions built up a 5-0 lead.

Midfielder Torsten Frings, Sebastian Deisler - playing his first game for Germany for six months after knee surgery - and defender Sebastian Kehl were also on target before the interval.

Bierhoff completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot in the 71st minute before Bayern Munich's Carsten Jancker completed the demolition six minutes later.

Germany coach Rudi Voeller was forced to field an experimental side with only 11 of his 23-man World Cup squad available.

He could not pick players from Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke 04 who meet in the German Cup final on Saturday and could only select Borussia Dortmund players who were not involved in the club's 3-2 defeat by Feyenoord in the UEFA Cup final on Wednesday.

'We were dangerous with high balls and set pieces and we also combined well on the ground,' Voeller said afterwards.

'I was impressed with the youngsters who played today. This formation will obviously not be fielded very often but there were positive aspects in the game.'

The Germans, drawn to face Cameroon, Ireland and Saudi Arabia in Group E, play Wales on May 14 in Cardiff and Austria four days later in Leverkusen before flying out to their base in Japan on May 22.

Germany - 1-Oliver Kahn; Thomas Linke, 3-Christian Rahn, 4-Christoph Metzelder, 5-Sebastian Kehl (14-Fabian Ernst 67); 6-Jens Jeremies, 10-Sebastian Deisler (15-Paul Freier 62), 7-Torsten Frings, 8-Miroslav Klose; 11-Carsten Jancker, 9-Oliver Bierhoff (18-Daniel Bierofka 73).

Kuwait - 1-Nawaf al-Khaldi; 13-Samer al-Murtha, 6-Jamal Mubarak, 2-Mohammed Eusa, 5-Nuhair al-Shammari, 8-Saleh Bariki, 12-Hamad al-Tayer, 4-Youssouf al-Youha (16-Hakeem Jalab 89), 15- Walid Ali, 7-Khalad al-Mutairi (10-Faraj Laheeb 65), 19-Faaj Saeid (9-Mohammad Rajab 67)

soccernet

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get the impression Germany is playing all these weak teams - Kuwait, Israel to boost its badly battered morale, as it just doesnt seem to be able to hack it with the big boys like Argentina anymore, but I might be wrong ....

·
Registered
775 Posts
WTF
Im Kuwaiti
But Kuwait Team was afraid
Afraid of what dont know
Never mind hope this Small team will do something soon

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have too say my Bundasliga team played very weak or bad team's , and they got relegated :( . (In so called frendlie's that is.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts