Xtratime Community banner

Georgian Football Thread

34K views 201 replies 64 participants last post by  Misho 
#1 ·
Georgian Soccer Thread

Well since Raanan started a Ukrainian Soccer Thread i thought it would be good to start a Georgian Soccer Thread. There are some many well known Georgian players lying around such Kakha Kaladze of AC Milan, George Kinkladze and Timour Ketsbaia.

Georgia is an up and comin football nation and has shown signs it has some great potential by finishing third in their WC Qualifying group behind Italy and Romania.

#6 ·
Hello to all of u from Bosnia, especially for Delije and Grobari(RedStar and Partizan fans-the best in Europe).
I think that situation in Georgia is similar to situation in Bosnia. They have classy players:Arveladse brothers, Kinkladze, Kaladze, Demetradze,Iašvili, Kobiašvili....Also they have one great club with great history:Dinamo Tbilisi.
If anyone have pictures or info about fans or teams in Georgia, I would like to put them in this topic.

G
#9 ·
TJK, very good idea, georgian NT has one amazing players, and they play in top leagues , just saw guy write the whole team players and i was so amazed and impressed, here it is:
-------------------------

NT OF GEORGIA

gk:Gvaramadze (torpedo)

def: Khizanishvili (dundee)
Rexviahvili (sconto captain)
kaladze (ac milan)
Tsereteli (Lierse belgium)
Sajaia (dynamo moscow)
Menteshashvili (sconto riga)

mid: Kobiashvili (Freiburg germnay)
kinkladze (derby county england)
nemsadze (dundee fc, geo captain)
gakhokidze (PSV EINHOVEN )
Jamarauli (fc Zurich)
tskitishvili (freiburg)
alexidze (chelsea england)
arveledze (cologne germany)
ashvetia (fc coppenhagen)
Ketsbaia (fc dundee)

att: Arveladze (rangers)
Iashvili (freiburg )
demetradze (real sociedad)
kavelashvili (fc zurich)
janashia (loko moscow )
-------------------------------------

i think this is realy amazing , having these players for national team and still not qualify for WC is also realy amazing!
as you can see every player playes abroad (ex-gk) and these are top teams, hope they will qualify for the finals (euor 2004) , indeed, i think Georgia deserves a thread , and there is also DYNAMO TBILISI , the winners of the european nations cup of the cup trophie, and there are big plans in dynamo , new coach , new players , new stadium , new owner (english company) ..... we might see Dynamo in top stage again soon.

georgia has also not so very hard draw in euro 2004, ireland , russia , switzerland and albania , georgia and russia match should be realy exciting , since there is a war between them , and georgia should be able to beat these team if thet concentrate with the players they have they can upset any team in europe.

i think euro 2004 should/will be Yogo and Geo's tournament, they have wonderful players with exelent tecknical skills, and they are in not so very hard groups, italy and ireland are indeed beatable , and Yogo and geo has the will and motivation to beat them since they missed out on WC, Yogoslavia and Georgia will impress, take my word beforehand!
best of luck to Yogo and Geo !!!

very good site, www.georgiansoccer.com
www.georgiansoccer.com
www.georgiansoccer.com
----------------

#10 ·
Great post Ballanchini :) It is quite amazing that a country that has so many fine players is still considered a minnow in International Football.

I guess that has to do with some poor results but if their team can gel together they will cause a lot of problems for the Russians and the Irish and just maybe and hopefully they will qualify for their first major tournament :D

As for Euro 2004 being Yugoslavia's and Georgia's tournament well we will just have to wait and see firstly if they both qualify if they do then it could very well happen ;)

G
#11 ·
indeed, inconsistency is the word for georgia, they were beaten by hungary 3-1 in hungary , then georgia beat them 3-1 in georgia, but overall i think this is due to the coach, georgian coaches are not realy good, they need a foreign coach, there are talks that IF ivo susak can do something special with Dynamo , he might become the NT coach, and maybe also he might do something special for the NT . the romanian NT coach always has said that from the soviet union (before and after the break up) , georgia has produced the best players, so we will see how georgia would do in euro 2004, they might cause a frightning upset , who knows , they have the most expensive players and expenisve NT team in the group , so they should be able to beat the opponents !!

best regards
Balanchini

www.georgiansoccer.com

#12 ·
Balanchini said:
the romanian NT coach always has said that from the soviet union (before and after the break up) , georgia has produced the best players, so we will see how georgia would do in euro 2004, they might cause a frightning upset , who knows , they have the most expensive players and expenisve NT team in the group , so they should be able to beat the opponents !!
That is quite amazing :eek: Hopefully the talented players that Georgia possess can translate into some International success by qualifying for Euro 2004 :D

By the way Balanchini are u Georgian? Also feel free posting at http://www.xtratime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62676

This is the Group 10 thread at the European Championships Forum
:D

#14 ·
Well as we can see from Adrian's post that Georgia was more than competitive against Italy and if they can be competitve vs Italy even if it was a qualifier im sure that they can be just as competitive and maybe even pull of a victory or 2 againt Russia and Ireland :)

#15 ·
wow all of the georgian team plays abroad not to mention for some pretty good clubs. ukraine and russia combined probably dont even have as many foreign based players as georgia, so if this team doesent qualify for the world cup or european championships with this generation than that will be a true waste of talent.

G
#16 ·
indeed, it will be a shame if these players dont play in a higher stage, players such as :arveladze brothers, nemsadze, kinkladze and ketsbaia could all miss out , but even though georgia has great youth systems, it will take more time for the 'new' team to gel together, but to be honest , luck is the also very important for georgia, -referee's one mistake can cost georgia finals(at a crucial stage) , european referees are very anti-georgia , mainly because of soviet union, as people think that georgia is russia , but another thing is that if georgia qualifies for WC or EU finals , they are unable to bring much profit for fifa-uefa.., as georgia is poor at the moment , and nobody(most) gives a **** if georgia qualify or not, but i also believe that if georgia shows positive results georgian people would all stick up , as georgia is a great football nation and have been.

the players i listed are NT players, but there are so many other players that are playing abroad, in russia, ukraine , italy (melkadze, mikadze...) latvia , greece, turkey......thers so many,
there was a statistic as to this section , and georgia i believe was in top 3 as to exporting the most players in europe, and you can see why georgian league is not so impressive.

the game against italy (in italy)was truly exciting and a wonderful match, so much technique and positive football, italy's defence was amazing (like always) , even though georgia managed to sneak in 1 goal by Gocha Gaxokidze of PSV between the legs of buffon, generally when georgia and italy meet , they play very beatifull football !

Best Regards
Balanchini

www.georgiansoccer.com

#17 ·
Shota averladze is a top player we (rangers) bought him for £2.5m a real bargain

Geogia should get Craig Brown for their coach he would do very well for u.

#18 ·
'Eck RFC said:
Geogia should get Craig Brown for their coach he would do very well for u.
I dunno about Craig Brown taking over to coach Georgia i mean his style of coaching would not suit Georgia IMO and things like the language and if Georgia can afford him seem unrealistic to me.

Balanchini... Do u know of any young Georgian players that are coming through their youth systems that have potential to be stars like Kinkladze,Arveladze bro's,Kaldaze etc?

G
#19 ·
Lasha Salukvadze---have not seen him but he plays very good as i heard

Malkhaz Asatiani(20)----tracked by Dynamo Kiev and Spartak , this guy is amazing, his shot power is dead strong, and he dribbles good

Levan Korgalidze(20)--plays for Sconto Riga , and is one of SCONTO'S importAnt players for winning the national title for every year for the last decade.

Lado Burduli(20)--plays for Sturm GrAZ he is very smart player and exelent provider, future star for sure.

Kakhaber Mjavanadze)20)--plays for spartak , close play to kaladze of ac milan .

Zurab Khizanishvili(20)----plays for dundee and is already a star!!

Edik Sajaia(19)---he is very energetic and motivational player , people call him the 'cafu' , as he plays the same style of play.

Pipia (17)---midfield is his when he plays!!

Iashvili(16-17)---he plays and scores like suker, very accurate and intelligent;) :D

kaladze (17) ----not the kaladze playing in ac milan:D --but he is a future star , people say kaxa kaladze (milan) and young kaladze are twins as they look pretty same and are very smart players.

Imedadze (20)--is also a very good striker, just moved to alania, his name means 'hope-son' , so we will se what kind of hope he can bring :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------

these are just few of young talents that will shine in future, there hips more!!, dynamo tbilisi , torpedo kutaisi and loko tbilisi produce at least 3 very classy players in a season , which could play in any team in europe.
players are not in short in georgia , they have real MANY , but what georgia doesn't have is even ONE good goalkeeper, georgia's goalkeeping system is realy dead and have been , if georgia had one good goalkeeper and a good coach , noone could touch them:)

best regards
Balanchini

www.georgiansoccer.com

#22 ·
Kaladze to become Ukrainian in kidnap protest

Tuesday 5th March 2002

AC Milan defender Kakha Kaladze has threatened to renounce his Georgian citizenship and play for Ukraine if his country's authorities do not secure the release of his brother, who was kidnapped nine months ago, before May 1.

"I feel hurt that almost every day my family and I hear from the government and the law-enforcement bodies that they are conducting full-scale investigations – and yet they have achieved nothing," the 24-year-old said.

Levan Kaladze was kidnapped in Tbilisi last May, but his whereabouts and the identity of his assailants remain unknown.

"It disgusts me that every conceivable high-ranking Georgian official considered it necessary to declare his personal participation in the investigation, but their involvement is nothing but populist fuss, just hot air spouted because they fear they will lose their jobs."

Kaladze has continued playing in Serie A, but he admits that he thinks about little but his missing brother. "Every day I wake up and I fall asleep thinking about nothing but Levan," he said on his official website.

"I don't know whether he is dead or alive. Every morning I ask God to let me see him again alive and smiling. It seems that God is the only body in which it is possible to hope and to which it is possible to appeal in today's Georgia."

Kaladze has won 31 caps for Georgia, but he feels that switching allegiance to Ukraine, where he spent two and a half seasons with Dynamo Kyiv, is the only way to register his protest at the Georgian authorities.

"Ukraine has become a second homeland for me,' he explained. "It was there that I became a top-level player with Dynamo.

"If my brother is not found by May 1, or if the law-enforcement bodies cannot prove that they are nearing a solution to the problem, then I will accept Ukrainian citizenship and play for Ukraine rather than Georgia in the future."

It remains doubtful, however, whether Fifa would sanction such a switch. Under present rules, once a player has represented a country, he cannot then turn out for another one.

"I will ask Fifa to make an exception," he said. "I am in an unbearable situation, and I hope they will stretch out a hand to me when I need their support."

source: onefootball

#23 ·
Nice thread!:)

I love Georgian footie and the Georgians are indeed underrated, but I doubt whether they can qualify. Their qualification group isn't easy, but very hard, with 2 world cup starters in it.
Georgians are classic underachievers and they lack that special extra you need to succeed on a high level. It's a psychological problem, I guess.

Balanchini, great site!!:cool:

#24 ·
Monday, March 18, 2002
Kidnap horror continues for Kaladzes

TBILISI, March 18 (Reuters) - The father of AC Milan player Kakha Kaladze has threatened to commit suicide if his younger son Levan is not released by kidnappers, a family friend said on Monday.
Frustrated by the lack of progress in efforts to find his missing son, Karlo Kaladze threatened to kill himself after meeting Georgia's Interior Minister on Monday, former Georgian basketball international Mikhail Korkia told local media.

Levan Kaladze, 21, was kidnapped in broad daylight in the Georgian capital of Tbilisi last May while on his way home from a medical school.

A ransom demand for $600,000 was made by his captors, who are believed to be from the remote Pankisi Gorge area of the country.

But, despite assurances from the police and Georgian government, no real progress has been made in his rescue.

Earlier this month, Kakha Kaladze threatened to revoke his Georgian citizenship and never to play for his country again if his brother was not released by the May 1 deadline.

'If my brother is not found by May 1 or if the authorities have not shown that they're close to a solution, I will accept Ukrainian citizenship and, in future, will play for Ukraine instead of Georgia,' Kakha Kaladze was quoted as saying in the Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.

'Every day I wake up and think of nothing but my brother. I don't know if he is alive or dead and every day I ask God to bring him back alive and smiling,' the Milan defender said.

'It's disgusting that every Georgian official considered it necessary to declare his personal participation to help find him but their interest is nothing but populism.'

soccernet.com

#26 ·
64 mins gone
Georgia 2
South Africa 0

Even though this is a friendly this is a true indication of the potential that Georgian football has by beating a side that is going to the WC :) Im not sure of the lineups but nevertheless this is a step in the right direction for Georgia and hopefully they can hold on for the remaining 26 mins and pull off a surprise victory :) If i was Russian or Irish i wouldnt be too confident of progressing in their Euro 2004 group :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.