Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentile snubs older stars Sunday 28 December, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy will not follow the example of Brazil at the 2004 Olympics as Claudio Gentile insists only the Under-21 players will take part.

¡§It is of my opinion,¡¨ explained the Azzurrini Coach, ¡§that a group of players who earn the right to take part in a competition must also continue that challenge in the tournament itself.¡¨

Gentile was speaking out after it emerged that Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos were being considered for the Brazilian Olympics squad.

Each nation is allowed to bring in three players who are outside the Under-21 age limit for the Olympics, which are to be staged in Athens this coming summer.

¡§There are circumstances which can push some Coaches to choose over-age players,¡¨ continued Gentile, ¡§but I think that the just reward for qualifying is to keep going in that competition.¡¨

It will be a busy few months for the Azzurrini, as they will enter the European Under-21 Championships in May before heading off to Greece for the Olympics.

¡§The Olympics are a fascinating goal for any sportsman,¡¨ added the tactician, ¡§and to be there is a prestigious moment in their career.¡¨

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I agree with Gentile on this, I dont see a point of taking 3 players over 21 really unless he takes Roby Baggio ;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
"Losing key players", Glen? How so? The Olympics (which I assume is what you're talking about) will only take place after the season has ended... why would anyone miss any key player? Ronaldo, if he indeed gets called (which is likely), only joins Brazil after La Liga is over. Why would the Italians have a problem with releasing players?
:confused:

However...let me add my full support to Gentile's decision to use a team without any "overage" players in the Olympic tournament. :D After all, who needs Vieri, Totti and Nesta, right? :happy: :party:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Admittedly I have not checked the timing of this at all G. Just thought back to the last Olympics where we had Zambrotta and Zanchi occupied in... Sydney... and suddenly thinking about climate zones etc... propably there's something to SYDNEY... that makes a slight difference compared to Athens... :eek: .

In that case... big up Gentile :D .

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
The Olympics will take place in mid to late August, so leagues will be underway or clubs just completing the pre-season. In 2000, Serie A kick-off was postponed to October 1 so as to not interfere with the Azzurrini's attempts for gold, which were dashed unluckily losing 1-0 to Spain.

But before Gentile starts talking about the Olympics, Azzurrini have to get their first, which means making the final of Under 21 Euros or winning the 3rd place play-off.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Are you sure? You telling me only 3/4 European teams are allowed to go? I thought all 8 teams which qualified for this U21 tournament are also in the olympics. There is 20 teams in the olympics or there abouts so Europe should get more than 4

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
its definately not more than 4. i thought it was the semi-finalists of euro but maybe they changed it to the top 3. the olympics are more even in terms of representation by region rather than quality of that region.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Since this year's Olympics are being held in Athens, that of course means Greece will automatically gain entry into the tournament. They gain entry as one of Europe's representatives, which means that only the top 3 in the Under 21 European Championships will make it. The loser of the 3rd place playoff will not make it.

The Olympic football competition only has 16 teams participating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts