Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/050317/7/3ajc.html

Coach Otto Rehhagel has called up Panathinaikos defender Loukas Vintra and striker Fanis Gekkas to replace injured Olympiakos Piraeus duo Stelios Venetidis and Giorgios Georgiadis.

Why the hell is Vyntra there???
Why hasent Paps been replaced yet???
Why is Kafes still there???
Why hasent Stoltidis been called up yet???

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gekas i think is a good pick. Talvaridis is a CB, we dont need another one. But the fact that vyntra is being called up is still pretty strange...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good calls! I'm glad to see that venetidis is finally out. And about time gkekas, that kid is hot! Now only thing left is stoltidis to be called to replace kafe :cool:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Venetidis is out because he's injured. Rehhagel wanted a full-back hence Vydra, who I think is a good call.

Gekas was called instead of Georgiadis. I think Salpiggidis is a better and more versatile player, but Gekas is in fantastic form all season so he deserves it I guess.

·
Banned
195 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
Venetidis is out because he's injured. Rehhagel wanted a full-back hence Vydra, who I think is a good call.

Gekas was called instead of Georgiadis. I think Salpiggidis is a better and more versatile player, but Gekas is in fantastic form all season so he deserves it I guess.

Agritis is better than both Salpigidis and Gekas but he doesnt get called up cause he plays for Aigaleo.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
No he doesn't get called up because he doesn't score enough goals. Both Gekas and Salpiggidis regularly contribute to their teams with goals and assists. Agritis is a talented player who still hasn't delivered full-time. And he's 23...

In my opinion, Salpiggidis and Gekas are better than Agritis. Mantzios looks more talented too, but he's a different kind of striker.

(But I also like Agritis)

·
Banned
195 Posts
Amoroso, if Aigaleo won more penalties which Agritis would convert his goal tally would be much higher also.
Gekas has scored from the penalty spot 6-7 times this season.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Agritis has scored 3 goals this season. Even if you take away all the penalties Gekas has scored, he still has more goals than 3.

·
Banned
195 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
Agritis has scored 3 goals this season. Even if you take away all the penalties Gekas has scored, he still has more goals than 3.
So with that analysis I presume Barkoglou , Zaharopoulos and Maxlas should be in the NT ahead of Papdopoulos as they have all scored more goals than him.

I understand what youre trying to say but sometimes being top scorer in the league doesnt mean you should be in the NT.
Last season Papadopoulos was on fire and we all have seen how his contribution to the NT has been minimal .His performaces for the Olympic team were nothing short of crap.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I'm not saying that the calls up for the national team should be made according to the scoring charts. What I'm saying is that Agritis, for all the hype and the skills he doubtlessly possesses, doesn't score enough or assist enough to have a legitimate shot in the national team when there are at least 3 other similar players (Gekas, Salpiggidis, Papadopoulos) who play exactly the same position and who deliver on a weekly basis (ok, maybe not Papadopoulos this year). And it's not like Rehhagel is biased against Agritis specifically because it was him who gave Agritis his national team debut.

And I think the whole of the Olympic team was crap. That incompetent asshole Apostolakis had Papadopoulos and Salpiggidis running after lost, long balls for 90' minutes... what else could they do? Agritis was also in the team and was also very bad when he played. But that wasn't his fault either.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Vyntra and Gekas both deserve their call-ups/

·
Registered
156 Posts
after what rehagle has done for the national team,success we didnt even dream of,he can call elvis presley into the starting lineup and wont get a peep out of me.rehagle has forgotten more about football than we will ever know.the national team is in safe hands,he alone knows what qualities he looks for before calling someone up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts