• I am one myself and proud of it yeah

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My campus is in the Silicon Valley area and a number of working professionals take part-time courses in my university so I got to know a few of them. Most of them are men, they are very smart, look somewhat similar (glasses and all) and there's one thing they unanimously complain about:

There are not enough women around. :D From the looks of it they are not a great hit with women either. :)

The word "geek" may have derogatory connotations, but that said there's a certain geek appeal. Rock bands have borrowed from the image, and the whole culture of geekdom has spawned many spinoffs such as the Geek Code, and there used to be a Sexiest Geek Alive contest, as well as a search for the Sexiest Gamer (with a pic of a man posing nude save for an Xbox protecting his modesty ;)). They are contests open for both males and females who consider themselves geeks.

I see it as something that part taking the piss, out of themselves and at the people who scoff at geekdom, and part celebrating their geek image which goes against the stereotypical notions of beauty. On TV there's a show called Average Joe, where a pretty girl has to choose her man amongst 18 Average Joes (including a number of geeky-looking men) and some hunks with lifeguard bods. The show is rubbish ;) and obviously premeditated, but it's something along this vein: Does the beauty or the hunk always win? Or do the geeks stand a chance?

I dunno, but I find Jarvis Cocker with his big glasses very sexy. :cool:

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Geeks, as in weird hair, thick glasses and yellow teeth?
Urgh! :notlist:

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
She obviously means the look..

and that just when I was beginning to form a favourable opinion of you, A&K. :eek:;)

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Must be rough...life at Stanford...:D

Anyway, I sort of consider myself to be kind of geeky, but then again that depends on your definition of "geek". I sort of define it as being offbeat and not being ashamed, hence I think we all have a bit of inner geek in us. :cool:

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
whoever has a picture of ned flanders as their avator definately has a 'bit of geek in them'!!! :tongue:

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
*OZ* said:
whoever has a picture of ned flanders as their avator definately has a 'bit of geek in them'!!! :tongue:
Indeedly-doo! :tongue:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Re: Re: Geek Appeal

!bob said:
and that just when I was beginning to form a favourable opinion of you, A&K. :eek:;)
What, you don't think Jarvis is sexy? :eek:

I can't help being enlightened. ;)
Phoenix said:
Must be rough...life at Stanford...:D
:D The undergrad boys are a goodlooking bunch, I must say.

The male grad students (not all), on the other hand, look like they have been spending too much time in their musty offices and have fungus growing out of their ears, complete with eyes that look like spiral optical illusions. :eek: :depress: :tongue:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Indeed, the definition of geek-look and geek-personality itself may already get distorted so that the term ends up being overused.

But, using the strict definition itself, geeky look is übercool to me, while several aspects of the geeky personality are also very, very endearing. And I'm not talking about the stereotyped geeky look (a la Raven's comments) but rather, the original definition ;) Now, evem within the geek-look itself you can have your taste I think - which ones you like and which ones dont really appeal to you.
Not necessarily related to the geeky look, I personally find specs :cool: - esp when you choose the right frame - a guy can look much more intellectual (notice that I say 'look'). Of course this boils down to personal preferences again.

As for geeky-personality....I remember a few months ago discussing with our Technical Manager about the differences between nerds and geeks btw :D

Ah, one illustration: Weezer's Rivers Cuomo absolutely rocks :star:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Nedved! said:
As for geeky-personality....I remember a few months ago discussing with our Technical Manager about the differences between nerds and geeks btw :D
Hm, it took 9 replies for my name to come up in this appropriately named thread. Somehow I'm a little disappointed. :D

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Hehehe... a question on geek appeal... discussed by a bunch of peeps spending every waking hour that's not reserved for absolutely urgent matters on what started off as a football forum.. and became a substitute for life itself...

Now THAT... is somewhat funny isn't it :) ?

I wonder if it's even ironic...? bôb... pila.. Tinto... BASTIN!?!?!

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
But that's precisely one of the numerous stereotypes about geeks, Glen.

Martin, do share with the rest the distinction between geeks and nerds :D (and had I spotted the topic earlier your name would be mentioned in the first reply, but alas...)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Nedved! said:
But that's precisely one of the numerous stereotypes about geeks, Glen.
I find this ironic. :D The word geek in itself is a stereotype - hence the numerous stereotypical connotations that accompany it are bound to be recognized. As Glen points out, there is indeed a slice of irony in the aforementioned phenomenon.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nedved! said:
Not necessarily related to the geeky look, I personally find specs :cool:
I like two types of specs - either the ridiculously big ones that dwarfs your face (not everybody can pull that off) or the rimless type that Sven-Goran Eriksson wears.

If you get this joke, you're a geek :cool:

Why do programmers confuse Christmas with Halloween?
Because 31 OCT = 25 DEC

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:

Because 31 OCT = 25 DEC
Damn, I'm now having to reconsider my status as a true geek...:confused:

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:

Because 31 OCT = 25 DEC
OK, I'm a geek. I guess that I'm rather proud of it, to boot. What do I win? And no more Klingon kellikams, please.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts