Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Geçmiş olsun büyük kaptan. Thank god he is in good condition now. Or that's what I read.

·
Administrator
25,376 Posts
oh my thats bad

hope he recovers well!

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Wow, the scenes of Mondragon and even Christoph Daum crying is really tough to watch. It's nice that the stadium announcer told everyone that he was stable and alert before moving on with playing the game.

I hope to see an update that he is fully recovered, but I guess this brings an end to his great football career...

·
Registered
10,724 Posts

·
Master Debater
20,701 Posts
This is so sad, Umit has always been a class professional that has been respected by fans of all colors in Turkiye.

Insallah he will be ok.

Gecmis olsun.

·
*the drum drum*
42,885 Posts
I'm watching the replay of the match now, and it's all quite scary.

He looked fatigued all of a sudden, and then decided to try and keep playing and a few seconds later fell flat on his face. Daum & Koch didn't look like they cared too much about it, they turned away and were discussing something else while the players were all starting to gather around Umit.

It looked like he possibly swallowed his tongue as well, and one of the medical staff was working on that but still no one looked like there was much of a crisis. When they stretchered him off, the fans started applauding (?!) and Mondragon broke down, later Daum got a little teary too. Then some old guy came out of the change rooms and gave the thumbs up to the crowd and then they started applauding again.

It was all a bit too professionally done, by the time they had realised they needed to get him off the pitch and try and revive his heart, he'd been on the ground unconscious for at least two minutes.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Terrible news for Umit. Fortunately, it appears as if he is in stable condition now. I hope he is able to make a full recovery as soon as possible, but I also hope that he knows the right time to step away from his successful career.

Looking at players like Washington, and even Shawne Merriman in the NFL, it seems like some players don't know when they are potentially jeopardizing their own health. I am sure Umit will make the right decision, though.

·
10'un Adi Lefter
8,620 Posts
Gecmis olsun :( This is horrible. I'm glad that he seems to be back on track health-wise though. Hopefully he can make a full recovery, although there's a small chance he'll be donning a football kit on a pitch soon :(

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Nice for the official site to recognize this incident of their former captain:http://www.fenerbahce.org/fb2008/detay.asp?ContentID=12887

I didn't realize Umit was FC Koln's captain. If you watch the video, one of the things they did before they could start up the match again was run and get another captains armband because the first one was still on Umit's arm....

The last scene of Umit being run off on the stretcher (rather than the gurney which was late in arriving and wasn't working) was really sad. His limp arm dangling from the side while they tried to quickly get him to medical attention. I'm really glad to hear he's recovering now...

·
Honourable Mention, April Photo Contest 2008
19,147 Posts
btw, it was not a heart attack like some turkish media institutions said. he swallowed his tongue.

·
*the drum drum*
42,885 Posts
You don't often swallow your tongue for no reason, most of the time it's something that happens because of some form of cardiac arrest (not necessarily a heart attack), or a seizure (e.g., epileptic). And you don't physically swallow your tongue, it just blocks the air way.

With Ümit it's clear something was wrong before he swallowed his tongue. He suddenly appeared fatigued but still tried to play on before he fell flat on his face. If he swallowed his tongue before that point, he wouldn't have come to the point of collapsing before realising something was wrong . . he'd have a tongue stuck in his throat and wouldn't be able to breathe, he'd just call to the medical team and let them know :D

When he collapsed they ****ing rolled him onto his back, even though a teammate put him on his side, they rolled him back onto his back.

He clearly had some form of cardiac arrest, thank god it wasn't a heart attack because they way they handled it he'd have been dead before they got him off the pitch, stupid ****ers.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/overseas/germany/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/08/08/31/SOCCER_Ger-Cologne.html

Umit happy to be home

Cologne captain Umit Ozat has revealed his delight at returning home just a day after suffering heart failure during his side's Bundesliga victory over Karlsruhe.

The 31-year-old collapsed midway through the first half of Friday night's Bundesliga match at the Wildparkstadion and received heart massage treatment from quick-acting pitchside medics and team doctors.

Umit came to shortly after leaving the pitch on a stretcher and spent the night in Karlsruhe hospital under observation.

The defender was allowed to travel with his family back to his home city on Saturday after undergoing a final test.

"I am delighted to be back home in Cologne," Umit said.

"I'm obviously a bit tired but hearing about the result of the game made me happy and gave me strength.

"All of the tests in Karlsruhe were positive - there was nothing negative."

Cologne revealed on Saturday that Umit's breakdown was "probably a circulatory collapse", caused in all probability by a lack of food or drink.

Despite the gravity of the incident, the former Turkey international nevertheless expects to make a speedy return to action.

"I will have a thorough test to rule out any risks and then I hope to be able to play soon after the results are known," Umit continued.

Umit, who moved to Cologne last year from Turkish giants Fenerbahce and immediately helped the side win promotion to the Bundesliga, expressed his thanks for the messages of support he has received.

"I want to thank the fans, the club, the coach, the general manager and the team for their support," he said.

"Also, from Turkey, I have had words of support from my old coach and team-mates and Turkey's prime minister.

"They have all given me strength and made me happy."

Meanwhile, Cologne coach Christoph Daum revealed the incident had cast a long shadow over his side's impressive 2-0 away victory.

"I could not get it out of my head for the whole game," he said.

"We have a relationship which goes beyond that of a player and his coach.

"I was in the stadium at the time of the (Marc-Vivien) Foe incident and nobody wants that."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts