Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Garry O'Connor's shock £1.6million move to Lokomotiv Moscow is nearing completion, I thought it'd be very intriguing to follow his progress, being the first Scot to ever play in Russia (in the modern era, to prevent the possibility of historical pedanticness!).

I like O'Connor as a player, and have always been one to tout him as a Scotland starter. However I can't help but feel there are a number of variable factors at play here as to whether he will be a success or not.

Personally I think football-wise he can most definitely become a big player in the emerging Russian league. It's just a question of whether he can adjust to the city of Moscow and all it brings : a dream for some men, a cold and lonely nightmare for others.

Thoughts gentlemen?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I think its a brilliant move. He couldnt say no with the money being thrown at him and the chance of a move like this. Being someone who has been in a sitution where I was offered a job in Cyprus, I am more than certain he has took everything into consideration.

Personal life will have a big part to play in his football over there because of the climate and culture differences but I am sure all the comrads over there will be right behind him.

He doesnt need to wait long before he gets a chance in the team, they play home to Krylia Sovetov Samara on 19/March in the Russian Premier Liga.

I think he'll do well over there.

**********​

PS - Looks like he isnt the first Scot in Russia ;)

taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/4764284.stm

O'Connor not first Scot in Moscow
By Colin Moffat

If Hibernian striker Garry O'Connor agrees to his proposed transfer to Lokomotiv Moscow, he will not be the first Scot to play football in Russia.

Sir Robert Hamilton Bruce Lockhart, born in Anstruther, won the Moscow league championship in 1912, playing with Morozov - a textile factory team.

And the National Library of Scotland has in its Lockhart collection the gold medal he picked up for the triumph.

Lockhart was British vice-consul in Moscow at the time.

But he played alongside British factory managers and local workers for Morozov.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maradona10 said:
I think its a brilliant move. He couldnt say no with the money being thrown at him and the chance of a move like this.
Spot on. He certainly couldn't.

maradona10 said:
PS - Looks like he isnt the first Scot in Russia ;)
:wallbang:

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Hibs will miss this guy. 15 goals a season when in a partnership with Riordan and Sproule, yeah he'll be missed.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Hope it goes well for him, but I do fear for him landing up like Allan Johnstone, after all the promise he showed at hearts with his hatrick against rangers, then moving to Rennes (I think) and dissapearing into exile.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good luck to the guy. Although I'm angry that he left I don't blame him for taking that kind of money and such a good opportunity to go on to bigger things and become an essential member of the Scotland squad.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I hear hes moved to Moscow as its warmer than Scotland at this time of year ;)

Seriously though this was a shock when the bid was first announced. Russian teams have recently been coaxing players from nations such as Brazil and Portugal, but out of Scotland is surprising. Its rare to see Scots play outside of the British Isles. Only John Collins and Denis Law spring to mind for me at the moment.

I'm gutted that Hibs have lost another talent. Whilst they've gained some money, they're challenging alongside Rangers, and dreams of a 2nd place finish are not too unrealistic, and now they lose their best striker. Its a strange decision by Hibs, but I guess they need the money. They have Sproule and Riordan I guess, but O'Connor was the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Our best talent at the moment is Scott Brown without a doubt but Garry was definately up there as one of our best assets so it's a big loss for us.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The Green One said:
Seriously though this was a shock when the bid was first announced. Russian teams have recently been coaxing players from nations such as Brazil and Portugal, but out of Scotland is surprising. Its rare to see Scots play outside of the British Isles. Only John Collins and Denis Law spring to mind for me at the moment.
QUOTE]

Not even Paul Lambert? :eek: :pp

·
Registered
520 Posts
A.Murray said:
Not even Paul Lambert? :eek: :pp
I was thinking of him straight away aswell. Champion's League winner and everything.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Alan "Rambo" McNally being another.

He played with Bayern, in Munich, in Germany, in Munich.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
A.Murray said:
Hope it goes well for him, but I do fear for him landing up like Allan Johnstone, after all the promise he showed at hearts with his hatrick against rangers, then moving to Rennes (I think) and dissapearing into exile.
You can't compare Rennes to Loko ffs! :D

They've signed a lot of players in this close season, but I think there'll be more expectation on O'Connor to deliver than some of the others. I don't know a lot of the other players they've signed as they're from Africa and South America, so it's probably a matter of how well everyone gels. I think a big key to O'Connor settling in is how he manages to pick up the language.

There's a good chance i'll be going to a match in a couple of months anyway, so it's a bonus that i'll hopefully be able to see a Scot play for the team.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I too wish him well. I have a feeling that all of the players mentioned earlier were probably better players after their experiences abroad than they were before [although in some cases that might not be saying much ;)]

We don't have a great recent record in terms of players moving from here to high profile clubs overseas and being deemed a success but fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
The Green One said:
Now you've prompted me, yes I remember Paul Lambert with Borussia Dortmund. How could I forget! I loved watching Borussia put United out on route to the final :wallbang:
To be fair I forgot about him too. Definitely an exception to the rule. When you think of the likes of Dalglish, Souness and Hansen on the European stage then recently Scotland has definitely not been exporting players like they used to.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
The Green One said:
Yeah. I think they used to have more players abroad than England, which for a nation of 5m is a good achievement. Maybe they adapted better?
I think they were just better players then. In the 70s Scotland had a good NT and you had alot of players playing outside of Scotland. Some players arrived off the back of that like Archibald at Barcelona and Alan "Rambo" McInally at Bayern Munich. They were both pish but the reputation of Scottish players at the time was still good despite the decline.

Nowadays we don't have that reputation to do that for obvious reasons- we've been pish for long enough. There are some good players coming through but even the talented ones will probably get overlooked outside of Scotland becuase of our standing in world football at the moment.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Green One said:
Yeah. I think they used to have more players abroad than England, which for a nation of 5m is a good achievement. Maybe they adapted better?
I reckon it was more to do with social circumstances at the time. A bit like the phenomenon of the Brazilian favelas we see today, albeit on a smaller scale. Still, many of these Scottish footballers grew up in abject poverty along those kind of lines.

Nowadays, as we know, things have changed a lot.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts