Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the matches that changed the player? whether it was to the better or the worse?
these are the ones I can recall :

Zidane, France vs. Brazil, 1998 World Cup final, that game made Zidane the best player in the world, I always wondered, has he been that good before the WC with Juventus?

Lee Bowyer, England vs. Portugal, friendly match in sept. 2002, upto that match, Bowyer was scoring spectactular goals for Leeds, after that he never was the same again, was loaned out to West Ham in the winter transfer-window in 2003, got around 40 k, didn't help them much, and as we all know they were relegated, now he's at Newcastle, still not much improvment :(

Wayne Rooney, Everton vs. Arsenal, dunno when exactly, til then, the English media have been talking about him, with huge expectations, after that game (and that wonder goal), life changed, forever, he's already an Everton legend, and a role model for young people accross the UK..

Steven Gerrard, England vs. Maccedonia, October 2002, scored a good goal, got injured, since then never really been that consistent with Liverpool, but he still has a good record with England, England have never lost when he was playing with them :proud:

there are probably many others :)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Toldo v holland in euro2000

Joaquin v south korea in korea/japan2002 WC before penalty shootout ofcourse

Cassano goal vs inter for bari

can't be bother to think of more

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Zidane, France vs. Brazil, 1998 World Cup final, that game made Zidane the best player in the world, I always wondered, has he been that good before the WC with Juventus?
No way! This game put Zidane in the map true but he did not become the best in the world. In 99 Rivaldo was way better than him, Figo in 2000, Owen in 2001, Ronaldo in 2002, and Nedved in 2003. Today RONALDO is the best player on earth again, and the best midfielder is R. Gaucho followed closely by Totti.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
ronaldinho better player than totti?
R. Gaucho is the best AM/Midfielder since MARADONA for sure! He is loaded with talent.

Totti is superb but R. Gaucho is way beyond more talented.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
look jay jay okocha is more talented than nedved
but nedved is a better player IMO

to be the best player you need more than talent
you need to be CONSISTANT

totti is one of the most talented players in the world
and is consistantly brilliant

In your opinion ronaldinho is more talented
fair enough
but that doesn't mean he is the better player

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
In your opinion ronaldinho is more talented
fair enough
but that doesn't mean he is the better player
Sorry but R. Gaucho was CRUCIAL in the past WC. The pressure will once again fall in his shoulders and Ronaldo's for Brazil to win Hexa in 06.

Totti has yet to delivered in BIG-TIME games.

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
FabioCapello have you seen ANY of Barça's matches this year?He's by far the best player of this mediocre team,the only one of real world class level player we have apart from Puyol.He scores,he creates out of nothing his workrate's high.He is the best player we had after Ronaldos departure

I've had enough of people disrespecting Ronaldinho,after all HE'S A FUKING WC winner,already one of Brazils WC legends in the age of 23.What more has Totti achieved?

First it was Djalminha now Jay Jay Okocha,just because he is fancy at times,how about comparing him to freaking Denilson:rolleyes:

Ronaldinho is second only to Zizou.For the time being

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
the world cup comes around every four years and is only a couple of games.
how can one game against england nearly 2 years ago
prove that ronaldinho is a better player than totti?

ronaldinho wasn't exactly the best player there

ronaldinho at his best can win games and be amazing,
but he doesn't perform highly as consistantly as totti does

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
the world cup comes around every four years and is only a couple of games.
how can one game against england nearly 2 years ago
prove that ronaldinho is a better player than totti?
R. Gaucho has delivered in the world's biggest stage. At the tender age of 21. Now he is 23 and believe he will become the world's best after Ronaldo retires.

I am a big fan of Totti myself and he is truly a GEM. However, IMO he needs to lead the AZZURRI to the promise land once and for all.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
spAd! said:
FabioCapello have you seen ANY of Barça's matches this year?He's by far the best player of this mediocre team,the only one of real world class level player we have apart from Puyol.He scores,he creates out of nothing his workrate's high.He is the best player we had after Ronaldos departure

I've had enough of people disrespecting Ronaldinho,after all HE'S A FUKING WC winner,already one of Brazils WC legends in the age of 23.What more has Totti achieved?

First it was Djalminha now Jay Jay Okocha,just because he is fancy at times,how about comparing him to freaking Denilson:rolleyes:

Ronaldinho is second only to Zizou.For the time being
i think we have a misunderstanding

i never disrespected ronaldinho and i said he is one of the most talented player on the planet.
but i also think totti is a world class talent but performs great on a more consistant basis than ronaldinho.

i never said jay jay was better!
i said jay jay is more talent than NEDVED
but nedved is a better player

BECAUSE he combines his good but inferior natural talent with consistancy and work rate to be a better player than jay jay

because i say totti is more consistant, doesn't mean i think ronaldinho isn't a world class player.

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
Don't go off topic please :). This is a great thread and it shouldn't be screwed because of Dagoods like many, many other threads have been before.

Oliver Bierhoff, Germany - Czech Republic. It was the Euro-96 Final.

Stephane Guivarch (sp?) , France - Brazil, 1998 Final. Pathetic performance in a team that was full of completely inspired players.

Taffarel, Brazil -Italy, the USA 1994 Final.

Oleg Salenko :eek:, Russia - Cameroon, USA 1994. Man scored five and automatically became someone in football history forever.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Stop misusing the word talent! FabioCapello here seems to equate the word talent with showcasing ability.. that is wrong! You need "talent" to become "good".

As for topic.. Gerrard (England v Macedonia), Prso (Monaco v Depor), Basturk (Turkey v China), Rothen (Monaco v Lens), Cassano (Bari v Inter).....

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Stop misusing the word talent! FabioCapello here seems to equate the word talent with showcasing ability.. that is wrong! You need "talent" to become "good".
when in the hell did i say that?

are u saying nedved is more talented and technically gifted than jay jay okocha?
nedved is the better player

recoba is without a doubt the most talented player at inter and one of the most talented players on the planet,
but he can't get a game because he is inconsistant

every player has some level of talent
but some have more talent than others

players that lack in talent
try to make up for it with hard work and put 100% effort in training and on the pitch

if you got the consistantcy and work rate of nedved
and combined it with the natural talent of say recoba
then you would be talking about a legend

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
To possess consistency and workrate, among other things, is not talent?

and yes I'm also saying Nedved is more technically gifted than Jay Jay Okocha.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
!bob said:
To possess consistency and workrate, among other things, is not talent?

those things are more about mental strengh of the player,
than of the ability

you can be a consistant and hardworking player with not much talent compared to your teammates (like a didier deschamps for example)

if you have a guy who is technically gifted and has a very very strong mentality like pavel nedved,
then you have a great player
a player who is better than jay jay!

nedved is better than jay jay!

but when it comes to natural talent jay jay is better IMO

but this doesn't matter because i would choose nedved over the nigerian :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts