Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of years, I feel that Gallas has proved to be the weak link in my opinion. Sure he pop's up with vital goals, but in most instances there wouldn't be a need for those goals if he had done his job in the first place.

I feel that Gallas' positional sense is poor, he gets out jumped by everyone, and on occassions is at the blood wrong end of the field as he is trying to surge forward or stays up in attack.

Both he and toure need to realise that their primary job is to defend, everything else is the bonus!!

How long is it going to be before we see Gallas dropped like Lehman was? I think what will be interesting is his reaction to getting dropped!

·
소원을 말해봐
5,413 Posts
he's just not good in the air, everything else i think he seems to address pretty well. this is exactly why we needed a new CB this season and we didnt get it. instead we let senderos go on loan to ac milan. maybe this is djourou's break through season?

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I think people are being over critical of him and like Adebayor are using their dislike of him to dismiss him. He is pretty much on point with his defending apart from defending high balls. The weirdest thing to me is that he is always an aerial threat for Arsenal when there is a set piece, but defensively he is a liability.

The whole defence don’t play together IMO. There is always gaps left at the back but it is just that they all have terrific pace that they recover quickly. In terms of positional sense I wouldn’t say Gallas is the worst, I’d say Clichy is. Right now Sagna is the best defender followed by Toure.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Gallas isn't a leader, when he had Carvalho and Terry with him he looked WC but since then, he never showed that he's the leader Arsenal lack at the back..

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Gallas is comfortably the best CB at the club at the moment, and on Saturday he was the only f*cker trying.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
It's popular to say that Gallas doesn't show leadership qualities but also a myth. He has shown numerous times that he can lead a team from the front. His problem is he is dreadful at defending setpieces which is crucial. Thrown in Toure who doesn't look like the player he was to me and aerial isn't his main thing either. They are both too similar in their positives and their negatives.

Gallas was quoted as saying on Arsenal TV online that we must stay in fourth position in the EPL. The sky is the limit for him apparently.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not questioning his leadership qualities. To me it appears that the level of his game has dropped a few notches. It is great that he pop's up at the other end to get us vital goals, but what would be far better would be if he did not conceed them in the first place. A few thoughts:
1. Benjie: Sure the defense dont play as a unit, but for the majority of the goals we have conceeded this season, see who was the defender caught in no man's land.
2. Agree Clichy and Sagna, have not been at the same level as they were last year, but having said that, I don't think either has been responsible for the goals we have been conceeding.
3. I believe it is time that an alternative CB was given a run. Djuorou (spelling?) wouldn't be a bad bet. I would just like to see something different at the back after having let in tonnes of easy goals last year and already this. Sure we have conceeded just 4 in the BPL and 1 in the UCL, but 4 set pieces and 1 wonder strike appears to be some sort of pattern.
4. Even when no goals are conceeded our CB's routinely get beaten to almost every first ball, which could prove problematic.
5. Just an alternative, would it make sense to throw Gallas in as DM and bring on another CB? Denilson has been good no doubt, but I feel that a small change in tactics back to a proper DM, who sits in front of the back four in the mould of Petit and Gilberto as opposed to the box to box CM like Flamini, Edu and Denilson will serve us better as it will also give Fabregas the impetus to go forward which he seems to be reluctant to do. More often than not he is the CM who is further back and it is not to link the play!

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I don't think Gallas has the ball skills to play in midfield and there are players like Diaby, Song and Denilson who can play in midfield already.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Gallas is fine at the back, you are just getting the hump, think the other waty, Cousin scored a top class goal, I wouldn't call it "woeful defending" and we haven't exactly been leaking goals much either if you take the season as a whole.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
Hmm... fair point, but he did lose track of Cousin for the winning goal last weekend. I would say he was at fault for the second goal, and as we may have scored a winner had it stayed at 1-1, you could argue he was the reason for Arsenal losing.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
He's made mistakes this season - the goal Fulham scored against us was down to some pathetic defending from Gallas.

But I'd have to agree with Jern regarding Cousin's goal. As much as you want to put it down to our (and Gallas') continued weaknesses at defending set-pieces, this was more down to Cousin getting a superb header in even with Gallas in close attendance. Shit happens, it's more the first Hull goal that could easily have been avoided and our terrible attitude all game that caused the awful defeat.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I reckon we miss a physical presence in the defence, that on its own could make the defence and avoid some of these top class goals which we seem to conceed so regularly.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Too many people ahvea go at Gallas for no reason. He is a good CB and a good captain. If other players showed the commitment and desire that he does we would not be having this discussion.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Too many people ahvea go at Gallas for no reason. He is a good CB and a good captain. If other players showed the commitment and desire that he does we would not be having this discussion.

Must be a reason for it!!! It is fine to say that everything is just peachy, but he must be doing something wrong for some many to comment on it!

·
소원을 말해봐
5,413 Posts
i agree with you, but sometimes his defending does let him down. he has his moments of what the hell is he doing.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Gallas and Toure are also overweight. Clichy and Toure just panic over absolutely nothing. Naturally we all know these guys are very good. Its just that you get the feeling that they read the papers at times and feel the pressure from criticism in the press. Against Hull there was a five minute spell Clichy got the ball 4 times and either gave it back or passed passed it out of touch.

·
props u can read
768 Posts
Untill we scored Kolo was nervous and frankly looks out of shape, bad marking on the first corners which could have cost us. The partnership between Touré and Gallas obviously isn't working and one has to be dropped for a bigger taller replacement. Sadly you have to think with your brain and not heart and it is king Kolo not the captain who must take the loss and be relegated to the bench.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Untill we scored Kolo was nervous and frankly looks out of shape, bad marking on the first corners which could have cost us. The partnership between Touré and Gallas obviously isn't working and one has to be dropped for a bigger taller replacement. Sadly you have to think with your brain and not heart and it is king Kolo not the captain who must take the loss and be relegated to the bench.
NEVER

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
I concur (with Barbarez). Give him some more games and he should get back to form. He has earned some leeway with his overall contribution to Arsenal over the years.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts