Xtratime Community banner

Who should be the new Galatasaray's president?

• Özhan Canaydin

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Mehmet Cansun

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Mustafa Yilmaz Toköz

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On March 20, the election for a new board will be made by the club's members.
Here are the five candidates (the colors are the ones for the paper ballots) :

* Özhan Canaydin (Red) : he has been Galatasaray's president in the last two seasons. He previously worked as a board member for the club. He is from the Galatasaray lisesi.
Palmares as Galatasaray's president :
- Turkish Süperlig Runner-up in 2002-2003
- Two participations in the Champions League : eliminated after the first group stage in 2002-2003; eliminated after the group stage in 2003-2004
- One particiaption in the UEFA Cup : eliminated after the third round by Villareal CF in 2003-2004
- Winner of the Efes Pilsen Cup 3

* Mehmet Cansun (Green) : he was Galatasaray's second president under Faruk Süren's board from 1998 to 2001. From July 2001 to March 2002 he was Galatasaray's president. He is from the Galatasaray lisesi.
Palmares as Galatasaray's president :
- Winner of the Turkish League in 2001-2002

* Mustafa Yilmaz Toköz (Gray) : he is a lawyer who presents himself to the election for the first time.

So for which candidate would you vote? Feel free to explain your choice.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
kubi, I don't have much information about candidates. But I wouldn't vote for Canaydin for sure. Who is the richest?... I would vote for him...:)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Most probably Mehmet Cansun will be our new president. He claims that he has an arangement with a coach, who is known in the world... He will tell his name after 1,5 months :rollani:
I saw him yesterday speaking and he said that we will play our matches in Ali Sami Yen next season for sure...

Özhan Canaydin chances are little. Who would vote for a president with less success and who made lots of mistakes?

Alp Yalman was working with Canaydin, so he is also responsible for the failure, although he says that he knew about Özhan Canaydin mistakes but hasn´t anything to do with his decissions :rollani:

the other 2 (Kiran, who wants a french coach and french players) don`t have big chances...

·
*the drum drum*
42,596 Posts
Canaydin was the chairman when Galatasaray was last crowned champions, not Cansun ;)
Might also want to add that he was working under Faruk Süren during his presidency at the club...

Cansun is so full of shit, but he's getting as high as 80% in opinion polls...
He's almost a guarentee to win it, in other words, if I was going to bet on it I'd bet on him..

Canaydin is in negotiations with Yildiray Basturk, and also said he'll move the team back to ASY next season.. He said their looking carefully at who they will bring as manager next season...
He also stated that "besides the failures of the football team, we've been successful in most other aspects with the club", among other things in his interview on TRT yesterday..

Cansun was on TRT last night too, but didn't really answer a single question.. All he did was say "I don't want to disrespect president Canaydin but..." and followed it up with some jibberish... :D

Oh, and you might be interested..
Cansun's only real eye catching comment was.... "Galatasaray has a strong squad, we don't need any transfers really.. Maybe 2-3 players for the squad at most"...
ie, this roughly translates to, "I'm a cheap bastard, I won't sign any players!" :D

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Tolga said:
Canaydin was the chairman when Galatasaray was last crowned champions, not Cansun ;)
Might also want to add that he was working under Faruk Süren during his presidency at the club...

Cansun is so full of shit, but he's getting as high as 80% in opinion polls...
He's almost a guarentee to win it, in other words, if I was going to bet on it I'd bet on him..

Canaydin is in negotiations with Yildiray Basturk, and also said he'll move the team back to ASY next season.. He said their looking carefully at who they will bring as manager next season...
He also stated that "besides the failures of the football team, we've been successful in most other aspects with the club", among other things in his interview on TRT yesterday..

Cansun was on TRT last night too, but didn't really answer a single question.. All he did was say "I don't want to disrespect president Canaydin but..." and followed it up with some jibberish... :D

Oh, and you might be interested..
Cansun's only real eye catching comment was.... "Galatasaray has a strong squad, we don't need any transfers really.. Maybe 2-3 players for the squad at most"...
ie, this roughly translates to, "I'm a cheap bastard, I won't sign any players!" :D
Well it seems like we are in a lose lose situation. The candidates don't have money and don't have any intetions of signing quality players. :(
Did any of the candidates promise a new stadium?

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
What amazes me is that GS fans have a very short memory. For years they have been doublecrossed by presidents who has promised paradise but delivered nothing but debts. Finally they find a presdeint that have seen the true problems and who is trying to solve them with every means. I agree that he did some mistakes....for example he shouldnt have brought Terim to the club like that. And he should have gurabnteed the money before he left for Olympic stadium.

But his pluses are a few too....he i adressing a lot of unsolved probelms within the club. He is buying back shares from AIG (very important factor), he has made Megastor a better store for GS fans. He took a brave step by moving to Olympic stadium forcing the organization to build a new stadium. He has a good relationship with his rival collegue Aziz Yildirim.

If you havent noticed the violence between GS and FB have decreased a lot the last 2 games.....thats a big improvement....thanks to Canaydin and Yildirim!

My vote goes to Canaydin...

·
*the drum drum*
42,596 Posts
Manny said:
Well it seems like we are in a lose lose situation. The candidates don't have money and don't have any intetions of signing quality players. :(
Did any of the candidates promise a new stadium?
It's in Canaydin's long term plans... Meaning "when we get the money, it's on the agenda"..

Cansun, on the other hand, is promising it, among the rest of the world to the fans..
However, he hasn't yet given any decent details on the "how" he'll go about things..
Basically, he's nothing short of a fraud..

At least Canaydin is saying that the side will move back to a revamped ASY for the short term..

Canaydin reminds me of Aziz Yildirim in his early days (in a way)..
Aziz baskan of course, had money to back himself up... But if Canaydin can stay in the position for the long term, he's there to do the right thing..
He's learning from mistakes as is human nature..

You won't get the results from Canaydin in the next year or two.. But in 5 years, you'd be saying "thank God we kept him at the helm!", if you keep him...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tolga said:
Yes I know. But it is was Mehmet Cansun's team, so I think he deserved it, not Özhan Canaydin. The same will aply to Özhan Canaydin if we were to won te Süperlig this season, and he isn't the president by the end of the season.

By the way, Mehmet Cansun and Alp Yalman will present themselves together, meaning Alp Yalman will be the second president, and Mehmet Cansun will be the candidate.

Cenk and Tolga, I think you are very harsh with Mehmet Cansun, and not enough with Özhan Canaydin. I don't say that I believe more in Mehmet Cansun than Özhan Canaydin, but you must take a look to how Özhan Canaydin managed the club. I know the task is very hard, but he should have been more careful when speaking. That's why many Galatasaray's fans are angry with him.
If Özhan Canaydin is elected, the coach could be Hagi, with Popescu as the team manager, and maybe Taffarel will be into it too.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
kubi said:

Cenk and Tolga, I think you are very harsh with Mehmet Cansun, and not enough with Özhan Canaydin. I don't say that I believe more in Mehmet Cansun than Özhan Canaydin, but you must take a look to how Özhan Canaydin managed the club. I know the task is very hard, but he should have been more careful when speaking. That's why many Galatasaray's fans are angry with him.
If Özhan Canaydin is elected, the coach could be Hagi, with Popescu as the team manager, and maybe Taffarel will be into it too.
Yes, maybe im too harsh on Cansun but that is because i really think Canaydin is the best one out of them. Cansun seems to be "popularist"....he promises only good things nothing "bad".

I mean it would be more realistic if he said that it´s going to be some tough years....that we might not be favourites for the championship in 2-3 years....to me that would be a president with long term visions. Instead i hear that Cansun is gonna transfer star player after star player and a star coach and a new stadium etc....and we know which stars comes to Türkiye. And he also promised that the team would return to ASY....and we know the story about that!

What im saying is that i think Cansun is trying to save the day with immediate suceess just like Fener used to do before. It was a long time ago Fener actual won 2 straight championshis....mostly because of the immediate success.

It might sound strange why i even bother to worry about who is going to get elected....but i do cause in the end it will also benefit Turkish football.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Cenk, Özhan Canaydin did the same two seasons ago, that's why many people want him out.
My main concern about Özhan Canaydin is that I don't see what he is doing to really develop the club. I know it takes time to see the effects of his actions, but onto many things he spoke too early, like maybe Mehmet Cansun is doing now.
I think Özhan Canaydin and his board wanted immediate success too. That's why they went for Frank de Boer, Hakan Sükür and other players. They were a bit scared of bringing young players, because it takes time to build a good team around them, and after last season they wanted too much to win.
That's also why I defend Fatih Terim, because I really think he wanted to have a young team, but for some money problems (which still need to be explain to me when it comes to transfer), and for being in hurry, they went for more experienced player. Maybe for many it looked better to bring Frank de Boer and all his experience and pay him around $2 millions per year, rather than buying Servet for $1.5 millions (that's was his price, right?) and lower wages but with less experience, and the risk that he could only be promising and never succeed in a big club.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
kubi said:
Well Cenk, Özhan Canaydin did the same two seasons ago, that's why many people want him out.
My main concern about Özhan Canaydin is that I don't see what he is doing to really develop the club. I know it takes time to see the effects of his actions, but onto many things he spoke too early, like maybe Mehmet Cansun is doing now.
I think Özhan Canaydin and his board wanted immediate success too. That's why they went for Frank de Boer, Hakan Sükür and other players. They were a bit scared of bringing young players, because it takes time to build a good team around them, and after last season they wanted too much to win.
That's also why I defend Fatih Terim, because I really think he wanted to have a young team, but for some money problems (which still need to be explain to me when it comes to transfer), and for being in hurry, they went for more experienced player. Maybe for many it looked better to bring Frank de Boer and all his experience and pay him around $2 millions per year, rather than buying Servet for $1.5 millions (that's was his price, right?) and lower wages but with less experience, and the risk that he could only be promising and never succeed in a big club.
I dont think i can agree with you here Kubi....strange isnt it?:D

What i mean is that the reason why you got players like Frank de Boer and Sükür is because they came as Bosman cases (free transfers) and because they are "star" players....and i dont think there is a single president that would deny the reuturn of your a legendary player. I remember also Fener being after Frank de Boer....because he was still a Barca player and the captain of the Holland NT. No one could have imagined he was gonna be this bad. But Sükür has been good for you...;)

I think Servet cost 2.0 million....and that is more expensive then getting Frank de Boer trust me on this. I mean de Boer had a reputation which means you can sell more tickets because of him and more jerseys with his name. That you cant do with a young talent.....but again noone could have predicted de Boer was going to be this bad.
But i agree that its safer to buy an experienced player than a young and talente one!

You say Canaydin havent bought any young players.....how about Felipe, Pinto, Sarr, Tamas, Bratu, Murat, Orhan, Necati, Emrah, Petre, Cihan, Sabri etc......that is not just a few.

It looks like Canaydin has bought many transfers for Terim.....so if the transfers werent any good it is Terim's fault.

But as you said yourself.....2 years is not long enough to get results as a president. Canaydin needs another election period before you can judge if he has been good or bad. I agre that he made too many promises but what president hasnt done that....atleast he tried to keep some of them.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
It funny how all the Fener fans want Canaydin as Galatasarays new Chairman... I can understand this becuz he is the only guy who can make Galatasaray worse and worser...

but my vote goes to Cansun, only and only if he keeps his words,
like saying that Gala needs 3 big world stars, and how he is gonig to return to the Ali Sami Yen next season and have one side of the staduim built for the next season...

i dont mind Kiran too, only person i dont want is canaydin..

·
Third Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
3,578 Posts
Under these circumstances i cant see a bright futurity for Galatasaray in the near future. So its not really important who will win the elections. I know its so pessimist but i dont have any hope for next year and more. Money is success and success is money. We dont have both. First of all we have to fix our microeconomical situation, and i think this will take at least 2 years. And than sportive success will come maybe in 3 years.

Nevermore i voted for Cansun coz i dont trust Canaydin anymore, he is a great gentelman thats ok but thats not enough to manage a football club. We have seen this.

I am looking forward now, i hope someone has taken lessons from our last 2 nightmare years and i hope the same one could produce a more powerfull Galatasaray than ever from inside of UEFA CUP CHAMPION's ashes with these very harsh experiences. :proud:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts