Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I know full well that our team played like a bunch of women, I do, however, have to lay the bulk of the blame squarely where it belongs.

I can't wait for the man who orchastrated the demise and embarrasment of Croatian football to leave our national team, once and for all. It will be a happy day for Croatia when he does.

When will he learn that you cannot play with 7 fullbacks at the WC? Some teams came there to score goals, we came to defend and maybe, just maybe sneak one in off a corner or something.

Let's analyse his mistakes:

1. Bad, bad BAD selection of friendly games. Bosnia? Hungary? Korea? Gimme a break, pathetic choice, and the likes of Boksic didn't play one of these.

2. Knowing very well that we haven't an answer in midfield, he selects a squad featuring defensive players.

3. Convincing the media that he "knows the south american style" and will easily deal with Mexico.

4. Announcing retirement 2 weeks before kick off, this can only serve to destabilise the atmosphere created. It's also a great safety net when we lose miserably, no?

5. Starting Suker at striker when he's been preparing him for a midfield role.

6. Going to the WC and fielding a team with 7 defenders against, arguably, weaker opposition (we weren't the favourites for nothing)

7. Inexcusable long ball tactics, we never made more than 2 passes in a row.

8. Insisting on such tactics in the second half, ignoring the fact that they were terribly innefective, and darn right ugly.

9. Staying with 2 defensive midfielders, even though we clearly needed creativity in the second.

10. While down a goal to nil, Jozic defies good sense and with a move bordering on insanity, replaces our last striker with a defender, leaving Stranic(who incidently hasn't played striker since his NK Zeljo and Brugge days) as the lone striker infront.

11. Writing this match off as a bad day and trying to justify his actions with idiotic excuses and analysys.

12. Finally, dragging our good name through the mud. In ninety minutes of football, he succeeded in undoing the years of hard work and sacrifices made by the likes of Boban, Asanovic, Stimac, Bilic and others.

13. Failing to motivate anyone, ANYONE to play better in the second period.

I know that after the game everyone tries to pick out the mistakes and everyone has better solutions than the coach, but this is painfully obvious in this case. He has proved himself a bad coach for the above 12 reasons, and dozens more.

If I hear anyone criticize Blazevic after this, I'll go ballistic. With Ciro at the helm, we would have qualified, and would have maybe lost yesterday, but we would have come out and played football. Croatian football. Passing football and attacking football.

Nobody can take that away from Ciro, he did, admittedly have better players, but he never opted for long balls and cautious play against the likes of Mexico. We missed Euro 2000 by one goal, and it could have come easily because we dominated both Yugoslavia and Macedonia. Imagine Blazevic's resolve built upon our strong defense (still among the best at the WC).

Znam da cete me napasti zbog ovog, ali jebo me pas ako nebi Ciro jebo mater svima na poluvremenu. Njega su se bojali, respektirali su ga. Mislite da nebi dosli do SP sa njim? Kurac nebi, bili bi tu i dobili bi Meksiko. On bi nama dao krila, i svaki je igrac ginuo na terenu dok je Ciro bio na klupi, tako bi poginuli i jucer da ih je tko motivirao.

The day before yesterday I could hold my head up high when mention of our national team was made, today I feel shame and embarrasment.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ye i agree this clown Jozic has to take the blame.. his obsession with defense is shameful.. how can u adopt that style and expect to score goals.. now we know why we barely scored any in the qualifiers.

Part of the blame has to also goto the federation for hiring him.. they know his style but ignored it all and took him onboard.. i know its easy to be critical afterwards but they should have known what we were in for.

Its unfortunate it looks like its gonna take a WC debacle to figure it out.. but better sooner then later i guess :(

Jozic hold your head in shame.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the quote of the tournament by Jozic:

"Šukera, Prosineèkog i Bokšiæa sam zamijenio jer sam želio ojaèati napad, a oni još uvijek nisu u potpunosti spremni"

kako ga nije sram to reci????

Shameful, who's job was it to get them prepared? Who's job was it to bench players that aren't fit?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Realistically that has to go down as one & if not the poorest managerial performance in not only our history but the history of the WC.

Even dudes i know who are not croatian were laughing at how disorganised & defensive we were.. we had guys out of position all over the park.. if that were anyone but croatia i would have laughed to.

God help us.. to this moment im still bamboozled as to wtf went on.

I know we shouldnt dwell on it but geez personally speaking its gonna take some time to get over what i witnessed.. it was footballs version of suicide :(

·
Registered
22,667 Posts
Ero

Great points on all of them. I feel the same way you do.

you also said,

"The day before yesterday I could hold my head up high when mention of our national team was made, today I feel shame and embarrasment."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

One thing I would like to add though is that I better not hear after this WC is officially over that the players couldn't play for Jozic or some other crap.

Let's face it, they are wearing our shirts. Our brave young boys died for us. For our country. if a player like Prosinecki, Suker and Boksic can't be motivated himself to run his heart out then something is severely wrong. I don't care if it's Jozic, Ciro, or friggin' Osam bin LAden, if a Croatian player puts on our red and white shirt and can't give it his all, he can only blame himself. He lets down not only himself but the memory of our brave who fought against THEM for our independence. Thats why will be severely pissed off if I hear someone say later on the team quit on Jozic.

Josic made all kinds of mistakes that game. But our Vatreni as I know them would not have played like they did vs Mexico.

MAybe the problem is that we lack a leader like Boban? I don't see a team leader on the field. Someone to rally the team. To take charge. To demand effort. What I saw that dreadful night vs Mexico was Pletikosa, Rapaic, N, Kovac trying and 8 other pussies on the field. Sure Jozic is in part responsible but the players let each other down also. A Boban, Bilic, Stimac type player would demand nothing less than 110% effort or they would force the player to answer to them.

As for Jozic, if the team comes out flat and don't try like against Mexico and lose, we should ax him before the Ecuador game. He is gone anyways so we should not give him a last game to further embarrass all that is Croatian.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ciro is now a reporter for a Croatian newspaper, he was in Japan and actually asked Jozic to answer some questions, like why he played with 7 defenders, Jozic declined to answer Ciro's questions.

Ciro was also at the press conference before the Bosnia game, and, one by one, old vatreni and new, stopped to talk to our former head. One by one by one took a minute to say hello and report to Ciro his state, they all called him, still, "sefe" or "izbornice", and some trembled in his presence, as if meeting a God-like figure.

Respect is earned, a job is given. This is his greatest testament.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Blazevic summed it up perfectly:

He said: "The match was an embarrassment to Croatian soccer - a complete shambles.

"The Mexican team that ran out Monday was a class below us and we lost to them because we lacked the courage to face them head to head.

"We sent out a team of defenders and retreated into a mouse hole, hoping that the cat would fall asleep or just go away."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that pretty much says it all.. Jozic is gonna get grilled when he gets home & so he should.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Well a few years ago, Zvonimir Boban said it best when talking about Croatian Soccer:

"I claim that Croatian teams are physically as ready as any European team. Our soccer is not inferior, it is just different. We start, then stop, change rythm. We have our vision of the game."

Jozic should understand this quote because he is going away from the traditions of our game. The way he setting up a game plan was more sutied for Italia 1990, when coaches rather than play to win, they played not to lose, and it became ugly, bunker soccer. I'm shocked that when our guys pass midfield, that they don't turn around and pass the ball back to the goalie...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Well...the thing about Ciro is that he was a master motivator. He knew the right words to say at the right time....but, if you think about it, anybody could have coached that team in 98 and would have gotten the same results. I liked Ciro because of what he had to say and how he motivated.

But, that being said, Jozic coached most of those same 98 players when they were youth players playing for that other country in Chile 87 which they won the gold medal...I think Jozic for some reason is not very confident of our offensive players because he probably feels that they don't have form since many of the guys may not have played that much for their club teams. But, hell, he has to understand the traditons of our style and attack.. Even the English abandoned the long ball style of soccer.

Ciro, on the other hand, seems to be a distraction. As if looking over Jozic shoulder. Ciro never really liked someone critisizing his job, but he mad some mistakes as well, that most likly could have cost us a spot in the Finals in France 98 when he kept Zvone in, even though Boban was hurt and he asked out of that game at half time because he felt that he could cost the team...unfortunatly he was right because it was Zvone's mistakes that led to the 2 French goals....then down 2-1 he replaces Zvone not with Prosinecki but with Maric. At that point we needed a seasoned veteran that could attack and make something happen...Ciro, rather than swallow his pride, let personal feelings get in the way and did not put Robbie in...as I said, that could have cost us a spot in the finals.

Also, Ciro is the one that left the NT. He could have stayed on but did not. Maybe he felt that this new generation was not as talented as that "Golden Generation" and felt that he couldn't go far with these guys. I don't know, but he is the one who left. Then, he goes and coaches a country like Iran...

I am not a big fan of Jozic and his style....not at all, and I am not defending him because he made some huge boneheaded moves against the Mexicans...but, remember, that under Jozic we won our qualifying group out right, gave up only 2 goals, and automatically got a spot in the WC...we can't forget that either...under Ciro, we came in second, had to play Ukraine in a playoff, and then had that unforgetable run in 98.....

They say the toughest coaching job is when you have to replace a legend...and Jozic has that impossible job....and it doesn't help when Ciro is looking over your shoulder second guessing every move you make...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I say jebi Jozica and put ero on as coach...i mean........damn!.,,,,,,i agree on all 13 (lucky number?! :eek: :tongue: ) points, well said ero.....u r da man! :cool: :D :)

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ero the NT coach??? My god, the guy has a big enough head already...can you imagine the ego on this guy if he coached our NT......:D

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
JureM said:
They say the toughest coaching job is when you have to replace a legend...and Jozic has that impossible job....and it doesn't help when Ciro is looking over your shoulder second guessing every move you make...
Well why bite off more than u can swallow

remember sacchi and capello

in anycase this team is good and has potential

but the coach was a schmuck

Gdje nam je crio i nejogva kapica kada nam trebaju
:depress:

Lav

·
Registered
325 Posts
JureM said:
Ero the NT coach??? My god, the guy has a big enough head already...can you imagine the ego on this guy if he coached our NT......:D
SCENARIO:

Croatia Luxembourg friendly...

Pre match comment by NT coach ERO:

"Naaahh, it's no biggie, Lux. are a sh** team, we can take 'em easily.....you can count on 5 goals for us atleast"...

match result:

Croatia 1-4 Luxembourg :eek: :confused: :eek: :eek: :mad: :tongue: :D

·
Premium Member
27,260 Posts
Just one little comment, I don't have much time, need to go to my exam. :D

I disagree with you Jure, that anybody could have taken Croatia to that semi-final. Yes, you had a good team, but this is a world cup, the best of the best are there, and only good players won't get you to the top. You need a bit more than that, and Ciro gave you that little bit more.

Jozic on the other hand, has totally killed the flair and attacking spirit of Croatia's game.
He is trying to copy Italy, but Italy have mastered that style of play over several decades (and not even they play THAT defensively), while Jozic is trying to transform that team in a year...

Well, not everything is lost, you guys might be talking differently after the Italy game..

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
RSF you're much more confident than I am.

I thought Jozic was a tactician someone who was creative.

He worries too much about what the other team is going to do.

Maybe this was just one of those games. I pray this will not be one of those tournaments.

ps. I'm still adament about it, we're better than Mexico but with that mentality nobody will win.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ero said:

Let's analyse his mistakes:

1. Bad, bad BAD selection of friendly games. Bosnia? Hungary? Korea? Gimme a break, pathetic choice, and the likes of Boksic didn't play one of these.

Meanwhile, Mexico and Ecuador played Yugo. I mean...that's pretty good and smart as hell preparation for playing against Cro.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JureM,

not everyone culd have coached that team, it takes tactics, preperation, training, drilling, motivation and detirmination. I can never take that away from Ciro.

And Ciro did not leave because of bad results, he left because of political pressures and the way fans treated him.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ero...

Don't get me wrong...I loved the way Ciro motivated the players, and he is a master at that...he can make you believe that you can actually fly...but as I said, he also made many mistakes that could have cost us a shot at the final...Jozic did coach most of these guys in Chile in 87, sure they were young then but that team had the core guys from 98. The problem with Jozic as I said is that his style is outdated, he is very negative and that comes out in the players as well...you should make the other team play your style of game and not vice versa....let the other team adjust, not yours, and that is Jozic's biggest problem...

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
true Jure, but I think his success is heavier than the miskates he made. It's a staggering ratio

1 - 20 of 46 Posts