Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before we think of who should be added to our team, we must first think of who should probably leave. Euro 2004 is close at hand, and changes are needed.

Coach? I can't really say.

Lets talk players.

Sibik, Zielinski, maybe Hajto, Matysek have all probably played their last games for the NT. Anyone else you think should be gone?

I think the majority will stay. However, with the addition of youth (Smolarek, Karwan, maybe Radomski and Wichniarek) we may have a nice blend of youth and experience.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
get rid of arek bak, hes cmpletely worthless.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Assuming that Engel stays, let's build the defense around Glowacki (I thought he played an awesome game for a youg kid playing the first game in the World Cup), get Hajto and Waldoch out (keep Klos for the Euros), get Rzasa in there as well. For midfield, base it on Krzynowek, add Smolarek and Kosowski, and we'll have one of the best midfields out there. For attack, well, keep the guys that we have right now....Oli, Kryszalowicz, Zurawski, even Kucharski, plus add Wichniarek. The US game showed, I think, that if we play a sound tactical game, with our guys in the midfield not giving ground an feeding the strikers, the strikers sure do know how to score. I think the future looks good...

That's for who stays or gets in. As for the goners, Waldoch quit himself, Hajto will be gone after the way he embarrased us vs. Portugal, Swierczewski: forget it, let him tend his damn bar, Kozminski is too old, although played well vs. US, Sibik is done, and the jury is still out on Kaluzny..

·
Registered
375 Posts
Waldoch calls time on Poland career

Saturday 15th June 2002

Poland skipper Tomasz Waldoch has announced his retirement from international football after a disappointing World Cup campaign.

"I regret the fact that I am ending my Poland career without any World Cup success, but that's life," said the Schalke 04 stopper.

"I would like to say 'thank you' for the 11 years I have had with the national team and I honestly hope that my successor has more luck than me."

The 31-year-old central defender went into the World Cup with high hopes, but an opening defeat to co-hosts South Korea meant that Poland were always likely to struggle to qualify from Group D.

Waldoch then had a torrid game against Portugal as his team were beaten 4-0 and was dropped from the starting line-up for the final match against the United States.

The Schalke captain did, however, come off the substitutes' bench to play the last six minutes of Friday's 3-1 win.

Waldoch has been a stalwart for the Polish national team since making his debut in a 2-0 win over Sweden in 1991. The former Bochum defender has represented his country on 74 occasions.

Although he played poor in the WC i think its still sad because hes been an integral part of the Polish NT for such a long time!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Barlink, why don't you put U.S. National player Jeff Agoos on your squad. He's arguably the worst player on a U.S. National team that successfully went through the first round with four points and is hoping for more success in the round of 16. His experience should help your steam who hasn't done much on the international scene lately.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
375 Posts
One player who i think should within the next few years step up to our full NT is defender Mariusz Lewandowski!
Club-shakhtar Donetsk
big game experience-champions league 2 seasons ago and hopefully this year after they won the league and cup double.
He plays each week and has a very talented head coach in Mr Nervo Scala. at 22yrs is a good age for a central/left defender with good speed?
What is your opinion on him Prewitt??

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yeah, Lewandowski is a good prospect for the future. He's a very versatile player. I like him on defensive midfielder position.

Anyway guys, let's have it all ordered ;)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The Coach

A few days ago I was pretty sure that Engel should stay. Of course, he made a lot of mistakes, but I thought he deserved another chance. Especially that it's difficult to find a better coach in Poland.

Unfortunately (or perhaps luckily, I should say) I watched and heard Engel's interviews last days and I must admit I'm terribly disappointed by him. He shows lack of self-criticism and honour. His inconsistency is pathetic :rolleyes: Now I'm against him and believe that he should be sacked - as some kind of punishment.

Who could replace him?

I think we could take a risk and employ a good, foreign coach. A man who would be fair and bring some fresh air and new ideas to Polish football. The problem, however, is that Euro qualifiers start in three months' time. A foreigner may need some time to adopt to Polish conditions, so the decision should be made as quickly as possible.

As to Polish coaches, the journalists give following names:
Henryk Kasperczak - currently working for Wisla. I'd go for him, if a foreign coach wasn't found.
Stefan Majewski - ambitious, but not really successful as a coach so far.
Pawel Janas - good results with Legia few years ago, but then failed as Polish U-21 coach.
Franciszek Smuda - seems that his best coaching years are gone now.
Dariusz Wdowczyk - interesting. Young, strict as a coach, lays emphasis on team spirit. Some may say he's not experienced enough though.

Anybody else?...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Kasparczyk seems the best candidate. He has much experience with coaching foreign teams/clubs. He had a very good run recently with Mali.

He is Polish, but has seen how things are done in other places.

I agree with you Prewitt, Engel is completely unwilling to take any sort of blame for the results.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ok well in my opinion a forign coach would be ideal!
firstly we need someone to come who knows nothing about polish football and polish footballers. Someone who will watch every player and choose him based on his skills and abilities rather than his reputation or his personal opinion of him. Someone with fresh ideas,tactics and training schedules.
Also its good to have someone who is experienced with tactics. Someone who can change a team to suit the game and not try to make the game suit the team which takes a while to settle in.
When we were overcome and shocked by the koreans like a bad coach Jerzy engel failed to make the necessary changes in players and where they should be to match or outsmart gus hiddink. Tactically the koreans under gus hiddink were playing a european style of play and were tactically very prepared!
As for polish coaches there was another name Boguslaw kaczmarek oh and the succesful youth coach Leslaw cmikiewicz but i doubt either of these could step up!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Goalkeepers

Let's move on. Here we have:

Jerzy Dudek (1973, Liverpool)
No comment needed here. Unless something unexpected happens (like he decides to quit, but it's very improbable), he should be our no. 1 to the WC in Germany. Plays in a great club, but still has something to learn (games vs. Korea and Portugal proved it)

Adam Matysek (1968, no club)
He used to be really good, but what happened to this guy? :( No prospect for the future. Time to say goodbye.

Radoslaw Majdan (1972, Göztepe Izmir)
I don't rate him that much, because I remember him from Polish League and it always seemed to me that he finds it difficult to stabilize his form. However, he could be a second or third choice goalkeeper.

Jakub Wierzchowski (1977, Werder Bremen)
I thought he would have been our new Dudek soon. A guy of great goalkeeping skills, although still unexperienced. Unfortunately, his career seems to have been stopped due to the fact that he sits on the bench in Werder. Once he starts playing regularly, we should take him into consideration. But for the moment - useless.

Wojciech Kowalewski (1977, Shakhtar Donetsk)
A hard-worker. Not the most talented of goalkeepers, but a full tribute must be given to his attitude. He has made a massive improvement for the last two years. Now he's sure of a place in the champions of Ukraine. I opt for him as an alternative for Dudek (although I may be a little biased as he's former Legia player).

Grzegorz Szamotulski (1976, Amica Wronki)
He was believed to be the greatest talent among Polish goalkeepers (including Dudek). However, a misfortunate decision to move to Greece spoilt a lot. He's a very nervous, agressive type. Not always accepted by coaches and other players.

Mariusz Liberda (1976, Groclin Grodzisk)
Great potential. Big, strong and very fit goalkeeper. However, I don't think he's able to make a good impact into NT when playing in a such mediocre team like Groclin.

Norbert Tyrajski (1975, Lech Poznan)
A new man in town. I don't know much about him, but he had a great season in Lech and was even elected to be the best player in Wielkopolska last season. Now it's time to show off in Ektraklasa. Should be watched.

There are also talented youngsters (Beben, Kapsa, Zaluska) but they still need time.

Anyway, my tip for the next few yeras is:

Dudek - Kowalewski - Majdan (and an eye on Wierzchowski)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I've heard much of Kowalewski, but the Ukraine league is not much. Kiev WAS special. But due to Rebrov/Schevchenko. That is in the past. I would not put Shakter much, if any ahead of the likes of Wisla.

I don't see anyone replacing Dudek in the next 3-4 years. Honestly.

Dudek had 2 so-so games. Oh well, move on. If he is obviously good enough to be the best at Feyenoord, Liverpool, he is good enough for us. So he could have stopped a shot or two that went in. Shi* Happens.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
No mentally sound coach will replace Dudek with another name. And that's right as the goalkeeper should be sure of his position in the team. However, it would be good to know we have some decent goalies to step up in any case.

·
Registered
375 Posts
.....My opinion goes with you Prewitt no matter how bad dudek played in WC(which really wasn't that bad!). He is undoubtibly still our best and will show that again in another premier league season. No coach in his right mind would drop him permanently. Majdan for the moment is good enough for second! Kowalewski was no real star in polish league, does seem to be develloping quickly but for NT standards not quick enough. Wierzchowski is still a great goalkeeper but needs more experience. My big prediction for the future though is Beben! Nr 1 at Odra all season who performed quite well and for someone who is maybe just 20 thats alot of responsibility!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Left Backs

Michal Zewlakow (!976, Excelsior Mouscron)
Good technical skills, dangerous set piece taker. Tends to make mistakes in defensive play though. Neither the fastest of players, nor the hardest to beat in one on one situtions. I hope he will change the club soon - it may help him.

Tomasz Rzasa (1973, Feyenoord Rotterdam)
The reasons for his absence in our starting eleven aren't clear. Plays regularly in a very good club, could be also useful because of his decent attacking skills.

Marek Kozminski (1971, Ancona)
The most versatile of our players and probably still the best of our left backs. He's already 31 though... And has problems with finding a good club :( I do like Kozminski, but I doubt if we can rely on him that much any longer.

Marcin Baszczynski (1977, Wisla Krakow)
Hasn't made any progress since he moved from Ruch to Wisla two years ago.

Marcin Kus (1981, Polonia Warszawa)
I'd start to call him up. It's a shame we have no 'B' team or something to test such players. Great talent, but I think he needs to change the club to improve his skills and gain as much international experience as possible.

Dariusz Dudka (1983, Amica Wronki)
A regular starter in one of the strongest Polish teams and he isn't even 20! Definitely needs to improve his physical abilities. I put some hopes on him.

Sebastian Mila (1982, Groclin Grodzisk)
Actually more of a full back than typical left defender. Rather attacking-minded. Quite interesting player, although doesn't seem to have improved much since his U-16 and U-17 successes. I think he should be watched closely though as his technical skills are definitely above typical Polish standards. Once again, I'm not sure whether it's possible to stand out to the NT from a team like Groclin...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd start Rzasa in my opinion because i think a good team is one in which when the ball is upfield the defenders help to attack!

...I think that Kozminski's favourite movie is the Invisible Man in the first 2 world cup games he played that role beautifully. The only time i saw him was when he could not tackle cleanly but foul.
Also he is slow! Now we need to think of Euro 2004 and our main competitors for that Sweden who have a quick atack! kozminski will not do!

Someone young is good idea but the three you mentioned all are quite talented but lack and important thing experience!
So for now i may saw Rzasa-Zewlakow!

Do you think there is any other options?? maybe Zuraw, i wonder if ratajczyk or kukielka plays there or lewandowski or Paszulewicz who's wanted by wisla!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
They are central defenders, so we'll talk about them soon :)

As to goalkeepers, I forgot about Tomasz Kuszczak, who plays at Hertha Berlin (20 years young). Also good prospect for the future.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Right Backs

Tomasz Klos (1973, Fc Kaiserslautern)
Well, he used to be a solid defender before he lost his place in Kaiserslautern. Needs to play in Germany regularly or must change the club as soon as possible.

Lukasz Nawotczynski (1982, Wisla Krakow - loaned to Arka Gdynia)
One of golden Michal Globisz's boys. Average technical skills, but ambitious and physically strong. He's still young but should start making some progress.

Kamil Kuzera (1983, Wisla Krakow)
Everybody was shocked by this youngster's performance in games vs. Hajduk Split and Inter Milan last year. Probably one of the most talented defenders in Poland. Must improve his physical abilities.

Tomasz Ciesielski (1979, Polonia Warszawa)
Another of Polonia's talented guys. Defiant, pacey and brave on the pitch. Physical type. Unfortunately (surprise, surprise), not really skilled with ball. I rate him high though.

Maciej Stolarczyk (1972, Wis³a Kraków)
Kasperczak needs experienced defenders, that's why he bought Stolarczyk. I can't see him playing in our NT. Too old and not good enough.

Wojciech Szala (1976, Legia Warszawa)
Tough defender, but not really close to NT standards so far.

Marcin Wasilewski (1980, Wis³a P³ock)
A very interesting and versatile defender. Immediately bought by Wisla Plock from relegated Slask Wroclaw. If he keeps working hard, he may become a NT player soon.

For the moment my tip is:

Klos, Ciesielski, Kuzera

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Central Defenders

Tomasz Waldoch (1971, Schalke 04)
Quits himself. Made some excellent work for our NT (74 games), but his decision is right.

Jacek Bak (1973, RC Lens)
When fit, our best central back. Good technical abilities, very good marking and heading skills. However, he's hardly ever fit...

Tomasz Hajto (1972, Schalke 04)
Without doubt, one of the most recognized Polish defenders. Much appreciated in Germany. Physically strong and aggressive on the pitch. Not really technically skilled though and his marking skills proved to be weak (Pauleta!). Considers himself a star and tries to order other players around. I think it should be over for him.

Jacek Zielinski (1967, Legia Warszawa)
I wish he had played vs. Korea and Portugal. Too old to consider him as a prospect for Euro 2004.

Arkadiusz Glowacki (1979, Wisla Krakow)
Should be a regular starter in our NT as soon as possible as it's the only way for him to become a world-class player. Great talent. Calm, tough and hard to beat in one on one situations. Scouted by Borussia Dortmund and Ajax Amsterdam. Wasted over a year in Wisla due to Smuda's strange coaching ideas.

Lukasz Szukala (1984, Fc Metz)
I must confess, I haven't heard much about him, but there's an article in the latest Polish edition of Newsweek and coaches like Cmikiewicz and Globisz praise this guy. He grew in France and hardly speaks Polish, but applied to our U-18 team and everybody is amazed by his skills. So he's supposedly our new hope for the future.

Piotr Dziewicki (1979, Polonia Warszawa)
He shows some promise, although he's too vulnerable to injuries.

Bartosz Bosacki (1975, Lech Poznan)
Similar type to Glowacki (both grew in Poznan, BTW), but not so talented as him and not such a hard worker. Still has some time to prove his qualities, but I doubt whether he's able to reach NT standards.

Jacek Paszulewicz (1977, Widzew Lodz)
Tall and strong defender. If he moved to Wisla, there could be some future ahead of him. I don't consider him as a NT candidate though.

Tomasz Kos (1974, Fc Nurnberg)
Solid central back. Typical for Polish defenders - good strength but weak technical skills.

Krzysztof Ratajczyk (1973, Austria Vienna)
Wasn't considered by Engel as he had number of central backs of the same quality. Now it's Ratajczyk's turn, I think. One of the best defenders playing in Austria.

Dariusz Zuraw (1972, Hannover 96)
He was considered to be a rather average defender in Poland, and it was a bit surprising that he did so well in Germany. Look forward to see him performing in the Bundesliga.

Lukasz Kosciuczuk (1981, Stomil Olsztyn)
Decent youngster. However, after I saw this guy playing for Poland U-21 in Toulon, I don't think we can put much hopes on him...

Michal Stasiak (1981, Widzew Lodz)
I rate him higher than Kosciuczuk, especially that he seems to be technically superior to him. But he needs to prove his qualities in Widzew before he becomes an option for the NT.

My tip is:

Glowacki, Bak, Ratajczyk, Dziewicki

1 - 20 of 40 Posts