Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
©
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Future of the NSL.

Many people have the opinion that the NSL as it stands at the moment will cease to exist in the near future. People have expressed opinions on re structuring the league in order for it to be viable financially and also appealling to the general public. Some ideas include cutting the league to 10, cutting some teams and replacing them with new ones or shutting the league down fully and starting again. I think that something must be done before all the clubs go broke and Soccer Australia completely collapses.

What do people think should be done?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
In all honesty (and i know this may offend some), the whole league needs to be overhauled, and basically, a "new start" is required.

Being a fan of various european leagues (many in-fact), i would actually like to see a league with only 8 teams (since i don't think we have enough quality players for any more, not to mention administrative finances :sigh: ) based entirely on geographical location.

The one team town philosophy has proved extremely successful for Perth, and while less successful for the likes of Brisbane, Canberra, and the football Kingz (a one nation team :D ), i think the current football climate and state of the overall league has contributed to the lack of success for these teams.

So my hypothesis would be to see

1 Sydney team (pop'n approx 4 million)
1 Melbourne team (" app 3 million
1 Perth team (" " 1 million)
1 Brisbane team (" " 1.5 million )
1 Adelaide team (" " 1 million)
1 Newcastle team (" " 500,000...[including Lake Macquarie shire])
1 Wollongong team(" " 250,000..[including Shellharbour & surrounds] )
1 NZ team (" " 4million)

So apart from Newcastle & Wollongong, each team has a maximum supporter base in excess of 1 million. And Newcastle and Wollongong deserve direct entry because of factors such as past record, crowd numbers, and country representation)
WUSA (the US women's league) i'm pretty sure only has 1 team per city, and with their well marketed leagues, their average crowds shi+s over ours

As moderator of the Swiss forum, i can tell you that they only have a 12 team league (with 8 going to playoffs [consisting of a roudn robin of 14 games] in the autumn, and the bottom 4 sides joining the top 4 division two teams in a promotion/relegation playoff (also 14 games)
The Swiss FA is considering scrapping this format in favour of a standard league forumat, but only consisting of a MAXIMUM of 10 teams (more likely 6 though). And this is in a country where football is a big sport, and where they have a team (Servette) :star: in the last 16 of the UEFA cup :cool:

8 teams would also be advantageous because each side could play the other 4 times, resulting in 32 games. It also means that no team would be disadvantaged as each would have an equal amount of home and away games :cool:

So i guess you are asking what would happen to the old, traditional clubs like South Melbourne, Melbourne Knights, Adelaide City etc.., that have contributed so much to the league in its early days.
Well it would be a tragedy to see these clubs lost forever, so hopefully they would end up in the respective state leagues, or in something like a national 2nd division (but with no promotion-relegation). The USA still has these traditional clubs around, but they exist as Amateur clubs in regional leagues as far as i know :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
A few people think that the quality of the NSL is above what many people say it is, and I am one of them. The NSL is not the best league in the world though, and I think it probably needs a revamp as well. I mean like I said, it's an ok standard, but it can be better.

I'd like to see no more than 12 teams in the league, and perhaps we could go down to as low as 8. 10 I think would be the ideal league. Say for example we had 10.

The hypothesis :D would be:

2 teams Sydney
1 team Melbourne
1 team Canberra (It is the national capital, come on, but we know what happened with the Cosmos)
1 team Perth
1 team Newcastle
1 team Brisbane
1 team Wollongong
1 team Adelaide
1 team New Zealand (Whilst I'd like to see strictly an Aussie league with no NZ teams etc. in it, I think we need to have a team from another country in Oceania, most likely from NZ, but there was talk of a Malaynisian team making a bid to enter the NSL)

Alright, now, as I said, we must try and form some Ocenian Champions League competition, it can only be beneficial for the game. Or, we could align with Asia and make an Asian-Oceanian Champions League.

We must also scrap the finals system, as it is just not fair, as Sydney United, Perth Glory and South Melbourne found out over the past 3 seasons, winning the minor premiership comfortably but losing in the Grand Final.

And finally, create an Australian FA Cup style tournament, how sweet would that be? It wouldn't only involve NSL clubs, but state league clubs as well.

Ahh.....I wish these things become reality very soon, I really hope something is done so Australia has a decent shot at competing with the best leagues in the world.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
I agree andreas 8 teams seems ok but I think you under-rate sydneys capacity to support teams, norht sydney should get a side for themselves, silly rich -pr!cks :D) western sydney should get another and south west sydney could get a third, although Im not familiar 100% with sydneys geographical location could you or one of the other sydney boys post all the current sydney teams and where their location is ie south, west, north etc etc,

but on re-reading your post, having 8 teams seems more and more logical, there could be a debate on retaining a NZ team or scrapping them and having 2 sydney teams which I think is perfect :cool: but at the same time I think its been good with the Kingz in the NSL, especially abt the bit or playing each other 4 times, thats perfect no advantages nothing, and a real sense of derbies could be created in a short term especially if there are some cracking matches played between 2 particular teams, my dream would be for the sydney melbourne rivalry to grow into soccer :cool: imagine the heat!!. adelaide and perth have it in for melbourne too with AFL so there are some more derbies and sydney V the gong, Newcastle Brisbane are more gr8 northen derbies, not to mention the steele cities gong Vs Newcastle, actually I like it more and more 8 teams is the way to go

and as for the traditional clubs they can go to the state leagues and they'll still pull decent crowds and join in in the australia FA cup :)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Well i think i forgot to mention that 8 teams was only meant to be a start, additional Sydney and Mebourne Teams to be added later. Afterall, it is far easier to start off small and build up, rather than do the reverse and upset a lot of people when their team is culled

I would start with 8 next season and re-evaluate after 2 seasons (since the 2nd season tells a lot about a team and their supporters). In this time, we could get the interstate city rivalries built up. I could just see a Sydney-Melbourne derby becoming just as intense as say an Oporto-Lisbon derby or a Manchester-Liverpool derby :cool: :hopefull: (without the Violence though :nervous: )

I gotta say that the Sydney-Brisbane and Melbourne-Brisbane derbies would be great too, since nobody likes a Queenslander :D :tongue: :dielaugh:. Similarly, every team versus the Kingz would be great too, since nobody that is aussie likes a kiwi when it comes to sport :fero: (did u hear the boos at the WACA when Australia were knocked out of the cricket :cool:). And of course, the "steel city" rivalries between Newcastle and Wollongong would be a great "regional" derby too, with Newcastle supporters among the most passionate in any sport :proud:

Anway, after the first 2 or 3 seasons, when hopefully the new national league (which i'd call the National Premier football/soccer league) is generating plenty of cash through gate takings and sponsorship :greed:, then i'd add a team to Sydney and Melbourne (say 1 team representing the inner city region, and the other representing the outer suburbs......e.g say Sydney City and Parramatta or Northern Spirit and Parra (which would become the "silvertails" versus the "westies" :drool: ). The only problem then would be how many rounds to play, since playing each team 4 times would result in 36 rounds (4 * 9 opponents), which may be a tad too many (although the EPL has 38 rounds) considering the various seasons of the football codes would overlap

I would never go above 12 teams though. Maybe say 5 years after the 10 team competition has been running, another Sydney team (representing the Southern suburbs) and a team for Canberra could be introduced, but again, the league would have to be generating plenty of money

BTW current location of Sydney teams

Northern Spirit: North Sydney/Mosman :stuckup: :greed: (rich buggers, have the state libs like Noggarotto and Kerry Chicarovski supporting them :irritate: )

Parramatta Power: Parramatta, heart of Western Sydney, about 10kms west of Homebush and the Olympic sites

Marconi: Fairfield, South west Sydney, but only about 15kms South west of Parramatta

Sydney Utd:, Bossley Park (i think?), just down the road from Marconi

Olympic:, previously Belmorem now Sutherland shire, close to Cronulla, which is the heart of the Southern beaches

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
All i know is that there isnt much of a future for the Nsl:(.All i can say is that Newcastle and Perth are the only productive clubs in the Nsl with good crowds and a good support base:).As for other:(.

I dont know what the NSL will do,if it;s scraped or just keep the same but this current league needs change;).

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Just one thing to add
Marconi is the heart and soul of the nsl ;)

Marconi, Olympic, Spirit.

Though I like Parra cuz local team.

I'd like 2 divisions but who would go to see a 2nd division game?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts