Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big big game coming up on Saturday, not only cos it being a London derby between actually my local team, Fulham :eek: and us but with a win, we'll be up there with the boys fighting for UEFA cup football !!!! who knows how Fulham will react after the Saha saga! still I think a draw at Loftus Road would be a good result for us.

Good news for us on the team line-up. Ziege is expected to be back. Fingers crossed for a long time too! so Pleat will have at least 3 options for the left back spot! Redknapp is making his way too but this game might come too early for him. Hopefully Pleat will continue with more or less the same line-up from the second half against City.

-----------Keller------------

Carr--Richards-Gardener-King/Ziege

Dalmat-Davies-Brown-Jackson

---Postiga----Keane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jemster said:
If we want to continue our recent run we'll have to make sure Dazza sits with Toda for this one :howler:
Oiiii no dissing of Toda :tongue: he's now at my most local club ADO Den Haag of the Hague and he'll be put in the lions den straight away in his debut since they're playing against Ajax in Amsterdam on Sunday. Should be an absolutely cracking midfield battle. Rafael van der Vaart versus Toda :howler: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,891 Posts
Very crucial game...

However I have the feeling we'll get all 3 points....:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,438 Posts
0-1 18th minute Robbie Keane!!!:happy:

Go Spuzzz...;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended 2-1 to Fulham :mad:

we should have had a penalty too in the second half but the ref copped out since he had given one to us in the first half. I'll see the highlights later.
 

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
Joined
·
14,769 Posts
Keller is declining..better put in Robinson and get another striker! and a midfielder!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,513 Posts
Wally said:
Ended 2-1 to Fulham :mad:

we should have had a penalty too in the second half but the ref copped out since he had given one to us in the first half. I'll see the highlights later.
NO WAY, Jose! That wasn't a penalty in hell! I really hope you don't mean the Robbie Keane one late on because that was a DIVE!!! :D

All the best for the rest of the season. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to wait till Monday to see the highlights since the show today only had the Man U - Saints and Scouse derby on :(

Well I'm only refering to what talksport said about Keane :D the one where Carlos Bocanera (spelling) held Keano back with his arm. According to the radio, we had the first half or were at least equal to Fulham but we failed badly in the second half. Complete opposite to the Man City game :groan: Postiga apparantly was pants and our midfield got run over in the 2nd half.

Nice to see Ziege back though :) but what is David Pleat doing with Rohan Ricketts?! :eek: the guy's not even on the bench!

Thanks for the well wishes Raven :) I was secretly hoping for a win today, which would have put us in a decent position to make a push for Europe but once again when expected to deliver, we failed :eek: it'll probably be another season where we'll end around 12th place.

Good luck with the push for Europe, Raven! I'll be keeping a closer eye on Fulham with Collins John now there. :) really surprised myself with the transfer but Dutch players don't tend to flop in the premiership. I mean Marco Boogers and Erik Meijer weren't even good players in the Dutch league :howler: this Collins John guy probably was the best young prospect from a non top 3 Dutch club. Still I find 5 to 7 million euros a lot if that is the fee!! Feyenoord sold recognized and known stars like Van Hooijdonk, Emerton and Kalou for less. Or maybe it just says that we at Feyenoord are just crap businessmen :eek: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,513 Posts
Wally said:
I'll have to wait till Monday to see the highlights since the show today only had the Man U - Saints and Scouse derby on :(

Well I'm only refering to what talksport said about Keane :D the one where Carlos Bocanera (spelling) held Keano back with his arm. According to the radio, we had the first half or were at least equal to Fulham but we failed badly in the second half. Complete opposite to the Man City game :groan: Postiga apparantly was pants and our midfield got run over in the 2nd half.

Nice to see Ziege back though :) but what is David Pleat doing with Rohan Ricketts?! :eek: the guy's not even on the bench!

Thanks for the well wishes Raven :) I was secretly hoping for a win today, which would have put us in a decent position to make a push for Europe but once again when expected to deliver, we failed :eek: it'll probably be another season where we'll end around 12th place.

Good luck with the push for Europe, Raven! I'll be keeping a closer eye on Fulham with Collins John now there. :) really surprised myself with the transfer but Dutch players don't tend to flop in the premiership. I mean Marco Boogers and Erik Meijer weren't even good players in the Dutch league :howler: this Collins John guy probably was the best young prospect from a non top 3 Dutch club. Still I find 5 to 7 million euros a lot if that is the fee!! Feyenoord sold recognized and known stars like Van Hooijdonk, Emerton and Kalou for less. Or maybe it just says that we at Feyenoord are just crap businessmen :eek: :D
We were gonna buy van Hooijdonk but Fener offered him a better contract. Kallou and Emerton were pretty bad losses but PvH is very old and wouldn't have done much for Feyenoord this season anyway. And I heard he was on a huge wage.

Apparantly the fee is "far from" €5-7m, and is "considerably lower." By how much, I don't know, but I hope he is as good as I've heard. Do you think he will ever play for Hollland? I would prefer to see him in a Liberia shirt, since that is his true country, but it would be more rewarding to play in orange.

Thanks for the good luck, Wally. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Raven said:
We were gonna buy van Hooijdonk but Fener offered him a better contract. Kallou and Emerton were pretty bad losses but PvH is very old and wouldn't have done much for Feyenoord this season anyway. And I heard he was on a huge wage.

Apparantly the fee is "far from" €5-7m, and is "considerably lower." By how much, I don't know, but I hope he is as good as I've heard. Do you think he will ever play for Hollland? I would prefer to see him in a Liberia shirt, since that is his true country, but it would be more rewarding to play in orange.

Thanks for the good luck, Wally. :)
PVH would have made a difference imo. Buffel would have had someone to play off but I'll leave his case to rest since the guy wanted to leave us for free (great loyalty from him :rolleyes: )

Collins John would probably play for Holland in like 2006 since we have so many strikers:eek: wish we could swap one for a top class defender! he has represented us as an u21 so I think that he can only play for Holland now, though I'm not sure cos of the Kanoute case but it's up to him to chose which place he feels more at ease to play for :) though I think that Fulham or any European club would prefer and may even pressurize him to choose Holland since they'd probably cry just like Wenger and Allydice now do when Kanu and Okocha head to Africa for their nations cup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,513 Posts
Not that Liberia will ever qualify though. :(
 

·
XT Post Number King
Joined
·
111,120 Posts
Saturday, January 31, 2004

Fulham 2-1 Tottenham: FT Report

PA

Brian McBride helped Fulham fans try to forget Louis Saha as he marked his debut with the goal which ended Tottenham's 100% Premiership record in 2004.

Moritz Volz and Robbie Keane contest for a loose ball. (IanWalton/GettyImages)

The USA international, signed last week from Columbus Crew but familiar to English fans after a loan spell at Everton, came off the bench after 58 minutes and bundled home the winner just eight minutes later to seal Fulham's 2-1 success.

Coleman 'delighted' with McBride

Robbie Keane had given Spurs the lead from the penalty spot after 17 minutes when Fulham's other debut man Ian Pearce handled.

Steed Malbranque equalised in first-half injury-time also from the spot, after Luis Boa Morte's charging run was brought to a halt by Michael Brown, although replays suggested the offence was fractionally outside the box.

McBride - signed after former favourite Saha joined Manchester United - then popped up with the winner after Kasey Keller did well to keep out Pearce's header from a corner, and that was enough to see Chris Coleman's side back to winning ways.

The swirling wind and rain made good football hard to come by but the game sprang to life when Fulham goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar needed every inch of his giant frame after 16 minutes as he dived to his right to tip Keane's fierce low drive on to his post.

A minute later Keane won Spurs a penalty. Using his trickery he tried to chip the ball over Pearce but the defender blocked the ball with his hand and referee Matt Messias had no alternative but to point to the spot.

Keane confidently tucked the ball inside the bottom left corner to register his ninth league goal of the season - and his second penalty success in successive Premiership games.

There was almost a rapid reply from Fulham as Steed Malbranque played in Barry Hayles but his 20th-minute shot from the edge of the area was brilliantly saved by Keller.

Pearce conceded a corner with a misplaced header back towards goal in the final minute of the half and van der Sar did well at his near post to beat out Postiga's inswinging corner.

Fulham earned their own penalty in injury-time as Gary Doherty tried to clear down the right and Stephane Dalmat lost possession. Boa Morte charged forward and was tripped by Brown right on the penalty box line. The referee awarded the spot-kick and Malbranque fired the equaliser into the top right corner.

Spurs had been hoping to see the best of Postiga after he finally broke his Premiership goalscoring duck against Liverpool a fortnight ago, but after 49 minutes he embarrassingly swung at Keane's cross and mis-kicked from close range.

He almost made amends with a fierce low drive after 55 minutes but van der Sar dived to his right to make the save.

Coleman introduced McBride after 58 minutes in place of Barry Hayles and he went close after 65 minutes as he raced towards goal wide on the right. He tried to lob Keller but his fellow American made an important block.

Fulham were celebrating a minute later - and it was McBride who got the final touch as they took the lead. A Davis corner on the left was headed down at the far post by Pearce. Keller did well to stop it, but McBride pounced on the line to bundle the ball home.

Coleman 'delighted' with McBride

Chris Coleman paid tribute to new signing Brian McBride after the American striker marked his debut with the goal that gave Fulham a 2-1 win over Tottenham.

'It was great for him to score on his debut but his all-round play was very good and I am delighted with him,' said Coleman.

'He is not a replacement for Louis, I wanted to add him without losing anyone, but that was not to be.

'It was all a question of timing. I was impressed with him when he played at Everton and we were sniffing around in the summer, so we've always had an eye on him.

'I don't want to get carried away but I wouldn't have brought him here if I didn't think he could perform at this level. He is very strong in the air, he reads the game well, he has a fantastic attitude, he has proved he can score goals in the Premiership and he will fit into our system.'

Spurs made the better of the difficult wind and rainy conditions in the first half before being over-run after the break.

'In the first half we got out of jail because I didn't think we deserved to go in at 1-1,' said Coleman. 'They coped better than us but we upped it in the second half and got the result.

'This was a big result for us, we are now two wins away from 40 points which remains our first target, and once we get there we can march on and set our sights on something else.'

Tottenham boss David Pleat praised both sets of players for the way they handled the conditions, and felt the game turned on the penalty which went against his team.

'The players conquered the conditions magnificently and that's a tribute to them,' said Pleat. 'The penalty was the defining moment because if you go in at half-time 1-0 up then it changes your philosophy of the game.

'We tried to chase it in the second half and at 1-1 it was a very close game and looked good for a draw. We had a lot of the ball in the last 30 yards but didn't manage as many efforts at goal as we'd have liked.

'It was a hard and fast game which in the end went to Fulham, although it could have gone to us or ended in a draw, it was that close.'

soccernet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,971 Posts
Forget Keanes incident... Was Fulham's a penalty in the first place? As far as I knew, a player needs to be fouled INSIDE the box to get a penalty ;) It changed the whole outlook of the game....
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top