Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sat. 26th. in El Helmántico (Salamanca). This is a friendly match to prepare the important match against Serbia and Montenegro in Belgrado.

The list isn't official yet, but Antena 3 TV has advanced some of the players that may be in these 2 matches. It seems that Luis Aragonés will call 22 players and there are surprises. As long as A3 TV said this players may go to the NT:

-Antonio Lopez (Atlético Madrid) - LB - He's doing a great season in Atlético. He's a very offensive full back with a powerful shot in the middle distance and good crosses.

-Sergio Ramos (Sevilla FC) - RB - He's only 19, but his progression in Primera is amazing. Also an attacking full back with good skills and mainly a fighter. He reminds me the early Puyol.

-Oleguer Presas (FC Barcelona) - CD - Puyol's "best friend". The story of this guy is strange. He has never played in the youth cathegories of the Spanish NT and he never shined a lot in Barcelona's youth system. Last year, he got the chance to make his debut in Primera and he benched one of our star signings, Marquez. Since then, he didn't lost his place, unquestionable in Barcelona. He's not as good as Puyol, he's much more simple, but he's quite correct in what he does.

Other people that may go back to the NT are: Morientes and Luis Garcia (Liverpool); Valerón (Deportivo) and Juanito (Betis). On the other hand, it seems that Luis Aragonés is going to leave Helguera, Salgado, Guayre and Villa at home.

Well... discuss.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
The great surprise of Luis Aragonés list is......................Luis Aragonés!!:D:tongue:

From sport:

La presencia de Luis Aragonés puede ser la gran sorpresa en la próxima lista de Luis Aragonés para jugar contra China y contra Serbia y Montenegro.

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=34&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=194782&idseccio_PK=637&h=

I s he physically ready?:D

BTW, deserved call for Antonio López, he´s been great the last 2 years, should have been called before but if you aren´t mediatic....;)

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Txupa said:
The great surprise of Luis Aragonés list is......................Luis Aragonés!!:D:tongue:

From sport:

La presencia de Luis Aragonés puede ser la gran sorpresa en la próxima lista de Luis Aragonés para jugar contra China y contra Serbia y Montenegro.

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=34&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=194782&idseccio_PK=637&h=

I s he physically ready?:D

BTW, deserved call for Antonio López, he´s been great the last 2 years, should have been called before but if you aren´t mediatic....;)
LOL :D

I read the article, but I didn't pay attention to this, since I just overlooked it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Oleguer is going to play!! hehe not the best defender..but it's nice they give them the oportunitty

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Don't worry, I doubt the Serb press will give Aragones a harsh time :D

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Salgado is not ommitted of the squad because of form or anything, hes just injured and Aragones always respected Salgado so he should be back for the Serbia game. Im not one least bit happy that Oleguer is there, might as well call up Pavon :irritate:

Sergio Ramos and Antonio Lopez :star:

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Could someone post what the Spanish side might look like for March 30th??

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dusan_UK said:
Could someone post what the Spanish side might look like for March 30th??
My bet:

-------------------Casillas-----------------------

Sergio Ramos----Puyol--Pablo/Marchena--Antonio López

----------------Xavi-----Albelda?-----------------

--Joaquín--------------------------------Luque---

-------------------------Raul---------------------
-----------Torres/Morientes------------------------

But who knows? We don't even have the list yet and Luis Aragonés had made a lot of changes in his convocatories. I have doubts about Xavi's partner. Baraja, who would be the normal choice, is injured, and only Albelda and Orbaiz come to my mind now, as reliable choices. Don't take it too seriously, I have no idea... and that's a problem, because Luis Aragones doesn't have it either.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Ok thanks

Ours will most likely be a 3-6-1 formation if you've ever heard of that looking like this.

----------------------Jevric--------------------------

--------Gavrancic-----Vidic----Krstajic----------------

----Koroman-----Duljaj/Mladenovic----Dragutinovic----

---------Stankovic-------------P. Djordjevic----------

--------------------Vukcevic-------------------------

-----------------------Milosevic (c)-------------------

Ours is pretty much set up our playmaker is missing in Zvonimir Vukic who's suspended, Barca fans might have seen him in action. But we have a very capable replacement in Simon Vukcevic who is being tipped as the new Dejan Savicevic and we all know what he was capable of.

Your side looks very strong but I see there are quite a few absentees from the side and that of course should help us.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dusan_UK said:
Ok thanks

Ours will most likely be a 3-6-1 formation if you've ever heard of that looking like this.

----------------------Jevric--------------------------

--------Gavrancic-----Vidic----Krstajic----------------

----Koroman-----Duljaj/Mladenovic----Dragutinovic----

---------Stankovic-------------P. Djordjevic----------

--------------------Vukcevic-------------------------

-----------------------Milosevic (c)-------------------

Ours is pretty much set up our playmaker is missing in Zvonimir Vukic who's suspended, Barca fans might have seen him in action. But we have a very capable replacement in Simon Vukcevic who is being tipped as the new Dejan Savicevic and we all know what he was capable of.

Your side looks very strong but I see there are quite a few absentees from the side and that of course should help us.
Forgive my ignorance about Serbian football, but it seems that this team has less "names" than in the past, although still you have Stankovic and Milosevic.

The Spanish team sounds strong on the paper, but I think that Luis Aragones doesn't have a clear idea of what he wants. Sometimes he mades an attacking team, sometimes more conservative. I think that he has a lot of respect for your side, so I don't know what he'll do with the DMs.

Honestly, I don't trust much in this team, I don't expect them to play a great football, so I guess that we'll rely on an individual action. I'm sure that Luis Aragonés would be happy with a draw, considering the situation of the team. Then he would play all his cards on the match in Spain, as it's going to happen with Lithuania. But this is too risky, IMO.

We miss Xabi Alonso, Salgado and Baraja, who would be starters for sure. I don't know if it's too early for Sergio Ramon to make his debut in such an important match, but there's no other option.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
You're right Koeman. The names aren't as impressive as in the past. But a lot of things have improved.

For instance we now have a much stronger defence than we've had in the last decade. Goalies were always a problem for us as well and with Jevric we have one who always seems to overachieve while playing for the NT.

But the biggest change compared to when we played eachother in the WC 98 qualifying and at the Euro2000 is that we now have a team. Not 11 classy individuals who only go for their own success.

I realise you're the best team in this group, at least on paper and that's why I'm cautious about this match. It will definately be a battle I hope we can win, but in the end, I think it's going to be a tie.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
I don't think it's ignorant of you in anyway. The talent compared to earlier years has dropped significantly. Before we had maybe 7 or 8 world class players but that doesn't always get you success. I think Spain and Serbia have had very similar histories, great players, great sides on paper but when it has came down to playing though I wish we were allowed to compete between 94-96. Nowadays, it's not necessarily what players you have but more about how they play as a team.
Now most people have probably only heard about Stankovic, Milosevic and Kezman, but how many big names did the Greeks have in their side and we all know how that went.

I'm sure it will be a great game and I can't wait for it. We have already been discussing the game in our forum the past week, but I notice here that there is not much talk. Is it something to do with the people not being too passionate about the NT. In Serbia it's much of the same but as the people on XT all live abroad, we are probably more passionate about the NT than people that actually live in Serbia.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dusan_UK said:
I don't think it's ignorant of you in anyway. The talent compared to earlier years has dropped significantly. Before we had maybe 7 or 8 world class players but that doesn't always get you success. I think Spain and Serbia have had very similar histories, great players, great sides on paper but when it has came down to playing though I wish we were allowed to compete between 94-96. Nowadays, it's not necessarily what players you have but more about how they play as a team.
Now most people have probably only heard about Stankovic, Milosevic and Kezman, but how many big names did the Greeks have in their side and we all know how that went.

I'm sure it will be a great game and I can't wait for it. We have already been discussing the game in our forum the past week, but I notice here that there is not much talk. Is it something to do with the people not being too passionate about the NT. In Serbia it's much of the same but as the people on XT all live abroad, we are probably more passionate about the NT than people that actually live in Serbia.
Don't get me wrong. I don't say that you're worse than before. I didn't watch Serbia in a long time. Your results have been good, so I guess that you are more a team now, which is good, but I can't discuss about it, since I didn't see your team and most of your players.

About the atmosphere around the match. It's like always, the NT is always secondary for Spanish people, except in the final phases. For the Spanish football fans, the club comes first. Besides, we're in the last rounds in La Liga, so people discuss more about Barça, Madrid, etc. than about the NT. It's not a matter of the posters of XT, it's also in the streets. I guess that the week of the game, people will start to think about it. You have the "newspapers thread" in this forum and you'll see that the NT never gets any cover, except the day of the match.

I don't know about the people who live abroad. When I lived in the US, for me it was the same, I cared more about Barça, I followed the matches via internet, but I didn't do this with the NT. I think that it is a general feeling. You'll see it in Serbia, you won't see thousands of fans there or something like that.

Nowadays, noone talk about this match here in Spain.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Always the same discussion. So what can we do to solve that problem? Cause all i hear is a lot of statements but not a freaky thing how to overcome it!

It´s being pretty boring to read about it. Besides, i think it is wrong (at least not by those who are not so found in club football). Cause it is certainly not a specific spanish problem since the clubfootball is the biggest when there ain´t no football-championship (of course the Nationalteam-football is bigger for those country when they don´t have any big league or that kind of famous teams who attracts that much people). To say the least, for a clubfootballing point of view, the passion for a team that play so much games week in and week out create a special atmosphere that many NT lacks (except the real famous ones who has been very merited which are few). Also, one shall remember that we has not been so sucessful recent years, in fact the NT has disappointed at many times, so we can´t always complain about the lack of support when they actually not deliver when there ARE supports.

Perhaps i am one of few BUT for me, the NT always comes first. Why? Simply cause it´s there the big footballing-spectra owercome itself and the cultures of each nations comes togheter in a big stage. It´s football and it is the real thing...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
:eek: People ignore our NT. :depress: I don't know if you care about Chinese fans' expectations, but I guess most of them (especially those in affairs with Spanish football!) expect the same as me - a big win for Spain! :D You may find this expectation somehow interesting. After the 'brilliant' WC 02, China NT has fallen into a valley. They need some shock to wake up. :cool: It is mutaul benefit indeed. :D

I would like to see new blood in both sides. ;) When the list will be released? A few days before the match I think.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IlPrincipe said:
Always the same discussion. So what can we do to solve that problem? Cause all i hear is a lot of statements but not a freaky thing how to overcome it!

It´s being pretty boring to read about it. Besides, i think it is wrong (at least not by those who are not so found in club football).
What can we do? I think that it's impossible. People feel this way and that's all. You only see some interest around the NT in the WCs and Euro's. I mean, it's in the press, it's everywhere, when you go to a bar, you never hear people discussing about the NT, except in the big tournaments. People talk about what Madrid or Barça are going to do this weekend or what they did in the previous. You read Marca or Sport and you know that they only talk about what's going on in the clubs. People talk about the "galacticos" or Ronaldinho, not who should go to the NT.

I guess that it might change, if Spain ever advance from 1/4 finals. Only in the last Euro, I saw many people traveling to Portugal to see the team... and you know what happened. The image of the NT is the image of the losers. People are proud of their clubs, but few people are proud of the NT.

When and why started all this? I guess that it started in Franco's time, when the NT was used by the regime for their own purposes. When Spain won the Euro 64 against the USSR, Franco used this victory to prove the superiority of the "Spanish race against the red enemy". So if the NT was supposed to be something that would join the people, it was used to divide. The Spanish NT of that time was not the NT of the Spanish people, but the NT of some people. All this remained in many people's minds, who didn't see their ideas represented in that team. As a consequence, many people was more identified with the clubs. Nowadays, I think that we're paying the consequences of all this.

Of course, now, the NT doesn't have any political meaning, so I guess that it's just the heritage of the past.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts