Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is ur national team playin northern ireland in a friendly in February????

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
haven't heard anything.

it wouldn't surprise me though as the new manager would want to have a game or 2 in charge before the Italy qualification games....

·
Registered
278 Posts
The SFA were approached about the NI friendly, but the last i heard it hadn't been confirmed.

Unfortunately i think the rest of the qualifiers for Ger 2006 will be Smith's 'warm up games' before any meaningful fixture is played :cry:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Crafty NI- looking for someone they can cuff without incurring too many travelling costs.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it'll mean we will have played all the home nations and show r right to be the reigning british CHAMPIONS

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
No chance, we've got Walter now. He'll turn us into world-beaters overnight. Bring on the Italians!!!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
They're there for the taking as well. Bunch of overhyped primadonnas.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Turned out to be a good day yesterday for the 9-in-a-row guys with the manager and captain both landing managerial jobs.

I really can't see Smith turning anything around as his tactics were in question at Everton but I hope I'm wrong. Having worked under Jim McLean, Andy Roxburgh and Alex Ferguson I'm sure he must have picked up alot of knowledge to add to his experience. On paper he's a great candidate but in practise we'll ahve to wait and see.

I really hope he gets a friendly in before the next qualifier. I also really hope Craig Brown would stop saying we'll beat Italy away. :howler:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
As Tam Cowan said, senile dementia's a terrible thing. I find it funny how Craig is now looked at in a different light. I was among the guys calling for his head. Looking back, his record wasn't that bad, but I stand by my opinion that his managing skills leave a lot to be desired. It's down in black and white chivo. I think Walter will improve things and you remain to be convinced. Time will tell.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
On this occassion though, as I said, I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong. I'd like to support a national side that isn't an embarassment which at the moment we are.

I know what you are saying about Brown and I too was one of the ones that wanted him out. He might have a decent record but he bled the national team dry leaving nothing for his successor. He stuck to a "hard to beat" fomula without bringing through new blood and when the majority of the team hit international retirement age he bolted.

I don't think anyone at the time though had any idea just how bad things would get. The bixarre thing is though I still remember the celebrations and the talk after we beat Holland 1-0. Up until we kicked off at Hampden Berti was a hero again and we were on the up. it was good while it lasted- all of 3 days :smileani:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Just to add to this one, Scotland knocked the freindly back and Sanchez quite rightly was a bit disappointed.

Looks like Smith wants to make his first game away to Italy- I think that'll be a disaster. People will probably start shouting for Strachan again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts