Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Not many people will care but this is one of the last chances England has to get its act together to try and win the world cup. So its quite an important game in some respects. As below the squad shows some new faces who may now get a chance due to all the injuries and such we have experienced. Pretty much all the players except Rooney, Hart and a few others are in a bad way at the moment. Will their club form affect their international form, probably but who knows. I'm hoping Gerrard being shit for Liverpool means he'll be great for us now. :) Fingers crossed that Baines starts and ends up keeping the position, good luck to them all though.

Squad announced for the game against Egypt:

James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham), Hart (Birmingham), Brown (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (West Ham), Lescott (Man City), Shawcross (Stoke), Baines (Everton), Warnock (Aston Villa), Milner (Aston Villa), Beckham (AC Milan), Walcott (Arsenal), Lampard (Chelsea), Barry (Man City), Gerrard (Liverpool), Carrick (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Man City), Downing (Aston Villa), Heskey (Aston Villa), Defoe (Tottenham), Rooney (Man Utd), Crouch (Tottenham), C Cole (West Ham).

James is back, great. Hopefully Hart gets to come on in the second half.

No Richards, and Brown who has been rubbish as our only 'rightback'. Hmmm

Baines!!! Whats he doing there, Capello must be trying all the fringe players or desperate. :D

Shawcross is unfortunate for his chance to come at such a time, doubt he will be in the right mindset.

Walcott? Really?!?!?! :rolleyes: The guy is shit on a stick.

Hey Beckham, shock of all shocks, is named in the squad.

Downing, I knew Capello would get him straight back in the squad. Just knew it. WHY do we constantly get this with people named as English managers, we all joke about being arm chair managers but no one can understand it. Yeah he scored recently but the guy has abolutely no quality that can be of any use against good opposition players.

Crouch ahead of Bent or anyone is really disappointing. Heskey is to be expected I guess, even if its wrong.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
What an average squad. Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and Terry are the only standout players and a few others like Shawcross, Hart have potential but the rest are just average *sigh*. Hope the world cup squad doesn't look anything like this.

This will be a difficult game IMO but we should have enough to win. Capello will probably use this game to sort out whatever off the pitch problems there are, rather than the football. Good luck to him.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I have to say with the recent troubles and injuries, that squad is indeed rather average. Heskey and Crouch still being called as International footballers is a crime against humanity. :D

England will not win a World Cup with that squad despite having some World Class players too, there are just too many average players for the highest level (and even ones that will feature too)

·
Registered
40,302 Posts
i predict an open, and interesting game too. :smileani:

Marc said:
James is back, great. Hopefully Hart gets to come on in the second half.

No Richards, and Brown who has been rubbish as our only 'rightback'. Hmmm

Baines!!! Whats he doing there, Capello must be trying all the fringe players or desperate. :D

Shawcross is unfortunate for his chance to come at such a time, doubt he will be in the right mindset.

Walcott? Really?!?!?! :rolleyes: The guy is shit on a stick.

Hey Beckham, shock of all shocks, is named in the squad.
agreed with you..

i think all the villans and the man city players are expected to be called up, they deserved it. :)

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I really don't know what you expect Fabio to do. He needs certain types of players and gets the best of those available.

Baines definetly deserves a chance as he is slowly developing into a complete left back. He has the speed, work rate, tactical ability, he can defend, get forward and hasn't played a bad game for Everton since god knows when.

On Walcott, I would have preferred Ashley Young, Agbonlahor or Lennon but I think Capello wants to see if he can get another performance out of him, like at Croatia. His speed alone though does give us a massive option of the bench.

I don't really want to get into the Beckham argument but I do think he is good for the whole team. He is a leader in that dressing room, a born winner and everytime he has come on for England, he has put in a decent performance.

I am not Downing's biggest fan but I think Capello wants to give him a chance and see what he can do with him. Hopefully we see good Downing, not invisible Downing.

On Crouch, I can not understand the complaints. As a former centreback myself, he would have been the worse player to come up against as what can you do to stop him. He is so tall, strong, works hard and he is technically good. Heskey is in there for a tactical option. Not many other English players can do what he does which is basically work his bollocks off and challenge for everything, and be strong at it.

When selecting the England squad it isn't always about selecting the best players in there position. Fabio selects players that fit the tactical style of play he is using, which is why he selects players that have certain attributes to fit the roles he sets out for them.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to say with the recent troubles and injuries, that squad is indeed rather average. Heskey and Crouch still being called as International footballers is a crime against humanity. :D

England will not win a World Cup with that squad despite having some World Class players too, there are just too many average players for the highest level (and even ones that will feature too)
Yeah but it didn't have to be. Throw in Joe Cole, Ashley Young and a few up and coming talents like Sturridge/Johnson and suddenly it is a side with 'potential' at least.

Our first team is great if all fit minus Heskey, but no squad depth at all as you say. I think we could have depth but certain players needed blooding and that just hasn't happened for whatever reason.

i predict an open, and interesting game too. :smileani:

agreed with you..

i think all the villans and the man city players are expected to be called up, they deserved it. :)
I think Egypt might do us at home which would be pretty pathetic, the squad just lacks quality. Why certain players who have that quality but are in bad form aren't called up (Cole), in favour of players who have no quality and in bad form (Walcott)... I don't know.

Not sure, both teams are playing terrible. It really is quite worrying just how few players there are that are playing well. Although you look around the world and you try to think of top players in form, its not amazing by any means. Considering the traveling and such in SA, I wonder if the tourny will turn out to be rubbish.

still not yet for Johnson. i hate calling up players to international duties only due to few good games they had showed.
If not now, then when? Perfect time to have tried him and its not like he has just started playing well. He has been one of the best players at U19 level, U21 level, Championship and now seems to fit right in at Man City. As opposed to a guy like Walcott who has only done it at U17 level and turned to shit, at U21 he was found out big time. He can control the ball, pass, is creative and has the balls to try things... I'd much rather have that in the squad with no experience than some seasoned pro who has the touch of a rapist (Hesky!). I'd rather have Bentley in the team than Walcott, who has had more good performances this season even though he has played like 5 times. Joe Cole is not in good form at all but he still has that pass for Lampard against city in his locker, still has the quality to beat a man with skill and do something with the ball.

International football is all about intelligence, use of the ball and quality. We will get found out as a team with the likes of Downing and Crouch as soon as we come up against a side with decent ability. Because they're predictable and limited, you can work them out in 5 minutes even if they can be effective against minnows. And they have no concept of using the ball, with intelligence. To win a world cup you need to be able to retain the ball, Downing wants rid as soon as he gets it crossing from the most ridiculous positions and Crouch can't use the ball with intelligence to save his life. People can say they're a different option to use until they are blue in the face. At the end of the day, their option is SHIT football. If I have the options of having a quality team or a team of muppets, I don't take the muppets along 'for a different option'.

[/Rambling]

What XI would you guys use out of that squad? I also don't get the lack of DM options we have in these squads. We have 5 strikers, most of them rubbish yet not 1 true DM.

Hart

Brown Upson Shawcross Baines

Carrick Lampard

SWP Rooney Gerrard

Cole​

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
Hart;
Brown, Terry, Upson, Baines;
Beckham, Lampard, Barry, Milner;
Gerrard;
Rooney

·
Registered
455 Posts
Joe Hart to suffer the inevitable England Goalkeeping calamity tonight or in the World Cup, too much pressure?

Hart
Milner Terry Upson Baines
Carrick Barry
Lampard Gerrard
Rooney Cole

Egypt with the three at the back probably made for the crappy wingers to shine but i'd just use the full backs offensively.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
WOW

I haven't really followed the England squad closely for ages but if that is the squad then England have no chance in the summer. I don't see how players like Wright-Phillips, Waclott and Downing get called up and someone like Ashley Young is at home. I know he is injured, but I'd much rather take Lennon as well over the three just mentioned.

What about Darren Bent? He's been banging the goals for Sunderland this season, and should be given another chance. I saw Heskey in the final on Sunday and I couldn't believe how someone as useless as him plays for England. He's a striker who doesn't score goals lol.

Its also a shame that Woodgate and King are injury liabilities otherwise England would have quality back ups for Ferdinand and Terry. I don't think Upson, Shawcross and Lescott are even close to being International quality.

Who starts up front for England, is it Rooney and Defoe or Rooney and Heskey?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the team:

Green, Brown, Upson, Terry, Baines, Walcott, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Rooney, Defoe.

Walcott! The guy shouldn't be in the U21 squad, let alone start for the seniors! FFS Capello, do not start pulling this crap so close to the world cup. Defoe, yeah inspiring stuff. Bet Heskey replaces him so we can learn even more about him being rubbish.

Hart must feel hard done by not to get his chance, it is a friendly made for guys like Hart. Apparently he is too young though, then james is too old not to mention an utter abortion of a goalkeeper.

WOW

I haven't really followed the England squad closely for ages but if that is the squad then England have no chance in the summer. I don't see how players like Wright-Phillips, Waclott and Downing get called up and someone like Ashley Young is at home. I know he is injured, but I'd much rather take Lennon as well over the three just mentioned.
SWP has been playing well this season for the most part. Downing and Walcott are the Jenas' and Phil Nevilles of this generation, absolutely baffling. Young, Cole, Johnson, Cattermole, Parker, Bent... loads of names would make this squad so much better.

What about Darren Bent? He's been banging the goals for Sunderland this season, and should be given another chance. I saw Heskey in the final on Sunday and I couldn't believe how someone as useless as him plays for England. He's a striker who doesn't score goals lol.

Its also a shame that Woodgate and King are injury liabilities otherwise England would have quality back ups for Ferdinand and Terry. I don't think Upson, Shawcross and Lescott are even close to being International quality.

Who starts up front for England, is it Rooney and Defoe or Rooney and Heskey?
Not as good as Heskey obviously. He never had a first chance to have another chance. He was thrown in against Brazil and Germany, both away to try and prove himself. Playing without Rooney IIRC and most of our better players in fact. Set up to fail and the media bought into it hook, line and sinker. I wouldn't mind if Heskey didn't score goals but was a playmaking forward... but... bwahahaha!! The very idea makes me want to puke my guts.

Upson is alright, just not world class like Terry and Rio and we were quite overloaded their for a time (although they weren't used due to squad failures again). Shawcross has potential. Lescott is a leftback.

It will be Rooney and Heskey is all fit, for this friendly as above its Defoe who gets the nod. Will probably score against Egypt, very good at scoring against teams that will have no bearing on how far we go. :thumbsup:

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Upson has a great understanding with both Rio and Terry for me. It's good to have someone in the squad who can slot in alongside either one of the. Should either get injured.

Can see why he's picked Walcott considering his past for Capello. Club form is not the be all and end all of international play.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts