Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear there are some grumblings about a possible Canada/Croatia friendly in Toronto come June (just before the Gold Cup). I don't know if Croatia are playing any WCQ's at the time, but if they are I highly doubt this will come to fruition.

Also, Montreal is the target for a possible friendly at that time of year.

What do you guys think? I know the Cro-Canucks will root for Croatia, which leads me to ask this question. I am Portuguese and we play Canada next Monday, I have no doubt in my mind that 99.9% of all Portuguese Canadians won't even consider cheering for Canada. I think that Croats will feel the same way in June, do you guys feel sorry for the Canadian players? I mean, they are playing at "home" and will be received like a bunch of visitors.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
That happens here in Australia as well. It is sad but part of life, what can you do?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
there is no way i would cheer for canada as for feeling sorry for the canadian players i donnt because i dont give a **** about canada i really hope this game happens.

·
Registered
69,457 Posts
where in Toronto will they play? I know during the summer preseason tournament when the big teams came to North America they played in SkyDome but thats not really a "proper" place to play.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
hrvatski kralj said:
there is no way i would cheer for canada as for feeling sorry for the canadian players i donnt because i dont give a **** about canada i really hope this game happens.
Why don't you show respect for the country you live in? I know you won't cheer for Canada in this game, but saying you dont give a fucck about Canada :nono:

·
Registered
69,457 Posts
I never cheer for USA, if you were to ask me to name their lineup I wouldn't have a clue because it seems they use 60 players during one round of qualifiers :howler:

I was actually cheering for Germany in the World Cup quarterfinal match a few years ago

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
I never cheer for USA, if you were to ask me to name their lineup I wouldn't have a clue because it seems they use 60 players during one round of qualifiers :howler:

I was actually cheering for Germany in the World Cup quarterfinal match a few years ago
USA and football :dielaugh: but HS you maybe cheer for them in any other sport?

I don't get sad if Sweden loose a game, but if I watch a game in any sport were Sweden is playing I will cheer for them, except when the play Croatia of course.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
I doubt this friendly will happen but if it does I will be cheering for Croatia 100%. We should respect Canada but I have no feelings for it either, Hrvatska all the way!!! :thmbup: I like your take on the situation Hrvatino.

·
Registered
69,457 Posts
Hrvatino said:
USA and football :dielaugh: but HS you maybe cheer for them in any other sport?
not really, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I was cheering against the USA basketball team during the Olympics, against the hockey team and actually I am happy when they don't win because if we do all this cockiness will arise.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I love Canada, it's my home. Croatia is in my heart as it is where both my parents come from. I will be wearing Croatian colours for the game...if I go which is unlikely since I live in Vancouver. If it was anyone else I would be 100% behind Canada. As for feeling sorry for the Team Canada players...most of them come from immigrant families (Italians, English, Jamaicans…) and I'm sure most would be cheering for the country of their heritage also...

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
HajdukSplit said:

Same here i just dont like US Soccer for the reason that all these Amerians bash the sport and make fun of soccer and then want us to cheer for them in the world cup, no way i bet if the US (god forbid) ever won the World Cup no one in the states would care.I agree with what HS said the cockiness will arise as soon as they win anything i mean when they got to the quarterfinal in WC2002 everyone was saying that the US are becoming a soccer nation this and that but as soon as they lost it was over soccer got no coverage.Does anyone remember the quote from Jack Edwards the ESPN announcer after they beat Portugal in the first game of WC2002 he said "My eyes have seen the glory the United States beat Portugal" :howler: :dielaugh:

·
Registered
69,457 Posts
don't get me started on the US soccer commentators here, a few of them are good but most are really biased as hell. Every year we play the Polish 4th or 5th team :)howler: ) basically the all stars of the Polish league and when we barely beat them they act like we are a world power.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
::Ambis:: said:
Same here i just dont like US Soccer for the reason that all these Amerians bash the sport and make fun of soccer and then want us to cheer for them in the world cup, no way i bet if the US (god forbid) ever won the World Cup no one in the states would care.I agree with what HS said the cockiness will arise as soon as they win anything i mean when they got to the quarterfinal in WC2002 everyone was saying that the US are becoming a soccer nation this and that but as soon as they lost it was over soccer got no coverage.Does anyone remember the quote from Jack Edwards the ESPN announcer after they beat Portugal in the first game of WC2002 he said "My eyes have seen the glory the United States beat Portugal" :howler: :dielaugh:
I remember how they made fun of soccer in one episode of "The Simpsons" :) I guess thats how most Americans sees this game.

·
Registered
69,457 Posts
they were talking about soccer on a local radio station here:
they were saying how this week they have no plans and one guy said he might go to a bar and watch the Champions League.
The other guy said went crazy and started making fun of him but the other guy defended himself by saying everybody at the bar goes crazy when a team scores...so he says "yeah, thats once in five hours!"
He again defended himself and said the last game he saw ended 3-1 and still nobody was impressed :D

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Funny because soccer is huge in the US as far as participation at the amateur and youth levels... Soccer equipment and apparel companies make billions on US sales...

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
Macedonia played the US in San Jose right before France 98 and i went to the game with my dad and a couple of other Macedonian friends and of course we were cheering for the Macedonia NT we had a flag and scarfs (security took our flares and almost arrested us before we got in :groan: ) with us and i didnt feel bad because i was cheering against the country i live in hell i can honestly say that i dont like them in soccer and this country is a demoracy so i have the right to do it.Of course i wasnt yelling against the US in the game or burning the flag but lets say the people knew who we were cheering for MA KE DO NI JA :D too bad the game ended in a 0-0 draw so i didnt see any goals but after that game the US didnt score another goal for a while and went scoreless through out the 98 World Cup so it was the curse of that game :pp

·
Registered
69,457 Posts
I went to a Mexico vs. Colombia match at Giants stadium and there were more fans there than in most of the USA friendly matches.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Tommy Smith from ESPN is a pretty good comentator, but when they bring out Marcelo Balboa and a couple of other American commentators I mute the TV, and Im sick and tired of how they try and make Wolf,Mathis..etc sound like the secondcoming of Pele. Thats why I rarely watch games on ESPN (only Champions League)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts