Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
another dull squad...this team hasnt got it in them..and im not going to waste my words on saying whos crap..and who isnt and who deserves and doesnt deserve to be there..

lippi is going to be found out..at just the wrong time...the wc..

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Il_Capitano! said:
atleast he got talent.

or even inzaghi, he's been on a good form.
that's what i already said,
and also made a thread "inzaghi to the world cup is a must".

seems like lippi doesn't read our forum :cool:
fekkin bastardo ! that vieri motherfekker, will screw us all over again !
and that iaquinta is just plain avarage. even in belgium we got better strikers !

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
oh and that materazzi thing?? i thought lippi only took players who also actually played for their club !!! i mean, this was the reason vieri actually left milan, right?
how many appearances did materazzi had ??? 2 ?
this is utter outrage!
i can at least call 5 better italian players then vieri/materazzi ffs !

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
pirri said:
another dull squad...this team hasnt got it in them..and im not going to waste my words on saying whos crap..and who isnt and who deserves and doesnt deserve to be there..

lippi is going to be found out..at just the wrong time...the wc..
I doubt a more accurate post has ever been made.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
You lot talk of Vieri like he has never been able to play football.. In the end I prefer him to iaquinta. I am more angry with the selection of Iaquinta.

Marlo did you watch Roma tonight, or indeed did you watch Roma in the last 3 months... you will not say the same about De Rossi in his 'new' position. De Rossi has become instrumental at blocking plays and playing the first ball out of defence aka Makalele.

In the end we can be angry with Lippi, but he is keeping faith (wrongly so IMO) with the players he has called for over a year now. If anything I just think the exclusion of Marchionni was the really bad choice and the only disaster. He should have been called instead of Iaquinta because we dont need 4 big lumps in a squad.

Obviously the game v Ivory Coast showed up some of them players in the squad now which is why I am unhappy, but Lippi has called this squad up before and to good effect.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Deano said:
You lot talk of Vieri like he has never been able to play football.. In the end I prefer him to iaquinta. I am more angry with the selection of Iaquinta.

Marlo did you watch Roma tonight, or indeed did you watch Roma in the last 3 months... you will not say the same about De Rossi in his 'new' position. De Rossi has become instrumental at blocking plays and playing the first ball out of defence aka Makalele.

In the end we can be angry with Lippi, but he is keeping faith (wrongly so IMO) with the players he has called for over a year now. If anything I just think the exclusion of Marchionni was the really bad choice and the only disaster. He should have been called instead of Iaquinta because we dont need 4 big lumps in a squad.

Obviously the game v Ivory Coast showed up some of them players in the squad now which is why I am unhappy, but Lippi has called this squad up before and to good effect.

:lala: in the games i watched i expected to see a new de rossi from how much he gets hyped up in the roma forum and what i see is a clogged up midfield making de rossi look somewhat usefull........he still cant pass, tackle etc.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
his positioning has mproved greatly in the role. He keeps out so many balls from the area or from danger... I agree his passing is not the greatest but he is not asked to do so with Roma and his tackling has greatly improved also.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
marlo85 said:
he still cant pass, tackle etc.
Of course not. Cassano can though. Cassano for midfield, captain, coach, striker, goalkeeper, bus driver, everything!

On the squad: I don't see any big problems with it. Panucci is better than Zaccardo, but we all knew since Lippi's first day on the job Panucci was over in the azzurro shirt. Marchionni should have been there as well, otherwise everyone merits their place I think.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Cacìni said:
Of course not. Cassano can though. Cassano for midfield, captain, coach, striker, goalkeeper, bus driver, everything!

On the squad: I don't see any big problems with it. Panucci is better than Zaccardo, but we all knew since Lippi's first day on the job Panucci was over in the azzurro shirt. Marchionni should have been there as well, otherwise everyone merits their place I think.

glad you're not biased and that you can admit de rossi cant pass :thumbsup: and no, not everyone merits a place :thmbdown: go back to the roma forum :)

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well I am dissapointed that Lippi did not call up Marchionni, Fiore, and Moretti.

Those were the 3 players I would have really liked to have seen him call up. I don't think Barone, Diana and Barzagli are better than those players.

Nevertheless, it is encouraging to see that Lippi called up Perrotta. Pasqual is interesting but when Zambo returns to the squad, I can surely say that Pasqual will not be there.

Basically, from what I can see Lippi has not really changed his team with the exception of Oddo, Perrotta and Pasqual.

He is still sticking with Vieri and Iaquinta. Don't really know how much Vieri would have improved at Monaco but I his form in Italy was absolutely terrible and I can't say much about Iaquinta's form either.

The one interesting thing to note from his squad is that he picked 3 keepers, 8 defenders, 7 midfielders, and 5 forwards.

Each full back is basically attacking. 4 of his 5 forwards are centre forwards. AND it doesn't look like he has many dedicated wingers in his midfield squad - he probably wants to the full backs to provide the width.

Still, I would have loved to have seen Marchionni and Moretti called up.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
By the way, I am not that against Materazzi - in fact I would prefer him to Barzagli. Materazzi is no world class defender but lets face it, who else is there? Thats why I wanted Moretti to get called up because I HEAR that he is playing well for Valencia as a central defender.

·
Banned
734 Posts
you can say diana was, a bad pick, but he did save italys ass against the ivory coast. i really think marchonni will be there in germany, materazzi is absoultly clueless pick,

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What strikes me as odd is that out of the midfielders chosen, only 1 is a winger - i.e Camoranesi. If you look at where the others play, including Diana and Barone - they are mostly central mids who occasionly play on the wing.

This is why I am a little surprised that Lippi didn't choose Marchionni or Fiore. Players who can play on either flank. The other question you have to ask yourself is, out of Barone and Diana, who is most likely to be left out if Lippi decides to bring in Marchionni.

Basically, Pasqual is only there because Zambrotta is injured and the game is in Florence. If Totti makes the world cup, then I think Iaquinta would be the first name to drop out for him to make space.

Finally, I really don't see Lippi bringing Cassano to the world cup.

Based on this selection, this is the squad Lippi will take to Germany:

GK: Buffon, De Sanctis, Amelia
DEF: Zaccardo, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Oddo, Barzagli, Materazzi, Grosso
MID: Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Marchionni/Diana?, De Rossi, Perrotta, Barone
FWD: Totti/Iaquinta?, Del Piero, Toni, Gilardino, Vieri.

For all intensive purposes I think Lippi has made up his mind on Goalkeepers and defence. Perhaps in midfield he could still choose Marchionni instead of Diana or Barone. In attack it will depend on Totti but I am sure Cassano won't be there.

Unfortunately, I also realize that Panucci, Fiore and Moretti have basically no chance of getting into the squad.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i think Barone and Iaquinta wont make for the WC...we got overflow of central mid's 2 consider Barone and Iaquinta is just making up for Totti's absence...Cassano will only be there if he lose's his weight and play every RM games from now till end of season.I do hope Pasqual will be there...he offers great offense and not that terrible in defense.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Stop with Fiore, hes been nothing special since the first 2 months of the season. Hes a good player but Diana brings something different to the squad than him, and that includes hard work and a direct play. Sometimes you call the squad on what they bring, which is what Lippi has done... there is no need to call too many types of the same player otherwise you miss other qualities.

·
Registered
45,910 Posts
Diana is a worse player than Marchionni from a technical point of view, no doubt about it, but he is the kind of player who is always precious cause he is basically a jolly on the flanks: he can play as a defender, midfielder or forward and on both flanks. He also has good heading, which is important. I think that Lippi also chooses him cause he knows that Diana is the typical player who will never give him problems if he play 0 minutes in all the world cup. You know, not all the 23 players will play and it's always difficult for the players to accept that they will never play.

21 - 40 of 153 Posts