Xtratime Community banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is actually not that bad of a result. The team should probably move to a 3-5-2 though because it's using too many poor side players (weak fullbacks and weak wingers). The reinclusion of Balotelli is key though, he can be that target man or part of a front two.

Edit: but the nt should continue with 4-3-3 or other systems as 3-5-2 works best in surprise anyway

Notwithstanding the result and difficulty in containing France for long spells, I think there is reason to be encouraged by the performance of a very young team. This is part of a process that involves these friendlies, next season's Nations league and next summer's under 21 championship.

By the start of season 2019/20 I think there is good reason to believe the team will be developing into a top class national team again.

I'm not encouraged at all.

Sirigu 5.5 - one post, one crossbar, a lot of shots which were few cms wide, Dembelé punished his poor positioning.

D'Ambrosio 5 - Hernandez pushed a lot and found the way to enter the PK area for a penalty (no foul but yet...). Where was he exactly in that moment? Poor in defense, decent when moving forward. The exchange of long passes between De Sciglio and him was embarassing.

Caldara 5.5 - shy, very little convincing, hardly helped by his teamates.

Bonucci 5 - forget the goal. He is one of our biggest problems because he is an average pure defender so who gives a **** for his long range passes and the chances to score he had. Very little responsive. Very poor in 1v1.

De Sciglio 5.5 - he is lucky Pavard pushed much less than Hernandez. Decent in defense, poor when moving forward.

Mandragora 5.5 - I don't want to be harsh. He caused the penalty mostly for being there, contrarily to D'Ambrosio who was in another place. He didn't even touch Hernandez. Not his fault if the midfield of France was much stronger.

Jorginho 5 - there is a tactical problem with him, I believe. Passing through him makes our play slower, by-passing him makes him useless.

Pellegrini 5.5 - same as Mandragora. Unfortunately this was the game which highlighted their limits.

Berardi 5 - lost. I can't see a reason to call up a player who has been a ghost for Sassuolo in the past two seasons. A nice through pass to Balotelli at the beginning of the second half and very little more than that.

Balotelli 6 - supported very poorly by a very poor team, he found the way to win a penalty but unfortunately referee and VAR ignore that the line of the penalty kick area is part of the PK area, took the free kick and Bonucci scored on the rebound.

Chiesa 6.5 - always dangerous, he is the future, the one player I feel could be part of a winning team. I'd use him on the right flank, but Mancini prefers to use the right footed on the left flank and viceversa.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Harsh from Toni imo. This team is very inexperienced as they play together first time. France has a lot of talent and hitting peak prime. Thought Italy did pretty well actually certain parts. And its a friendly Toni.

And even if we see weaknesses this is exactly the time to see. For weeks and months some players were asked to be given opportunity but overlooked by Ventura. At least Mancini is giving almost everyone a chance.

I do agree that Bonucci could be a weakness and maybe because of him Italy should switch to back 3. Also in all fairness Perin should be ahead of Sirigu now. But thats what i meant with Mancini giving everyone chance.

To me the fact Mancini is giving different faces a chance (Mandragora is only 20 and played for a team who got relegated) is encouraging. Many people here said nothing will change but Mancini is actually giving young players a chance. Only 2 players 30+ (Bon & Sirigu).

I expect a 3rd lineup with potentially the likes of Rugani & Perin starting now against Netherlands.

Mancini will have learned a lot after these friendlies imo preciselly for using these different combinations. He needs to know his main XI by september when euro q starts. But his best XI we shall see during the course of next 1.5.

Im encouraged that he is giving youngsters a chance.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.