Xtratime Community banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts
They had three hours to score one goal, the fact that they didn't - and barely had a shot on target in that time - proves they were inadequate for the task.

If you replayed both games the outcome would be very similar to what it was four months ago.
With Ventura it is possible, with a different coach who has a clue, very unlikely.
I can just quote Stephan on the matter and remind you we defeated Spain with Eder-Pellè. And the same Eder had scored the winning goal to Sweden two years before. Now, I'm not saying Conte should have been the coach, because it was not possible, but probably even Mr. Mediocrity Di Biagio, with his moderate ego, could have done better choices... and indeed would have done, the way he proved tonight by adopting 4-3-3 and Insigne. Ventura fielded Gabbiadini behind Immobile in the 2nd leg. Do you really think many coaches would have done that?

With Ventura it is possible, with a different coach who has a clue, very unlikely.
I can just quote Stephan on the matter and remind you we defeated Spain with Eder-Pellè. And the same Eder had scored the winning goal to Sweden two years before. Now, I'm not saying Conte should have been the coach, because it was not possible, but probably even Mr. Mediocrity Di Biagio, with his moderate ego, could have done better choices... and indeed would have done, the way he proved tonight by adopting 4-3-3 and Insigne. Ventura fielded Gabbiadini behind Immobile in the 2nd leg. Do you really think many coaches would have done that?
No, I don't. Point taken.

Not overly fussed about the result nut really thought we were foing to rebuild...the oldies are not required.

Balotelli and bernadeschi could definitely add something.
Bernardeschi offers nothing.

Another big disappointment,another italian who in his u21 days who isnt that good but was treated like he was. Just a so and so player.

I see we've been treated with a Pirri meltdown :p

This result was expected. Actually, a late 2-0 vs Argentina is not bad. I agree with Pirri in general, and I think everyone does, that this team is not what it used to be. Insigne, Parolo, Immobile, Florenzi, De Sciglio, etc are all mediocore players that would have played in the midtables if they were lucky in a legitimate Serie A. The Italian B team from 2006 would probably beat this one.

But we should not flame up at what is already known: this team will not win every match. We should just focus on supporting our players and hoping they develop, and hoping that we can find the right system. As I've said before, this team will not out-play Argentina, Spain, Germany, and so on... it's gotta find a strong defensive and counter-attacking style to even have a chance. So the manager should find the best lineup and formation for this, at least to have as an option.

Bernardeschi offers nothing.

Another big disappointment,another italian who in his u21 days who isnt that good but was treated like he was. Just a so and so player.
Sounds like someone needs a hug...dont get me wrong what we see today is an embarrassment when compared to the 80s 90s and 2000s. But this was always going to happen when serie A started declining.

In saying that bernadeschi isnt a disappointment..in fact he has smashed it at juve when given chances. Is he baggio totti del piero zola? **** no. Is he better than candreva...**** yes.

In all seriousness we do have a handful of good players with some good younger players coming through. We clearly lack a CF, unless balotelli gets another chance and proves he isnt a nutter, we need a couple of midfielders to help verrratti. Centre backs i think we are fine current and for the future. Keepers we are fine , no buffons but stiol capable. MDS has actually proven he can play..no zambrotta but decent enough. Need spinna to join juve and prove his worth at the big level.

The thing we need most is a non italian manager. Bring in someone without that silly defensive italian mentality.

Discussion starter · #77 ·
Sounds like someone needs a hug...dont get me wrong what we see today is an embarrassment when compared to the 80s 90s and 2000s. But this was always going to happen when serie A started declining.

In saying that bernadeschi isnt a disappointment..in fact he has smashed it at juve when given chances. Is he baggio totti del piero zola? **** no. Is he better than candreva...**** yes.

In all seriousness we do have a handful of good players with some good younger players coming through. We clearly lack a CF, unless balotelli gets another chance and proves he isnt a nutter, we need a couple of midfielders to help verrratti. Centre backs i think we are fine current and for the future. Keepers we are fine , no buffons but stiol capable. MDS has actually proven he can play..no zambrotta but decent enough. Need spinna to join juve and prove his worth at the big level.

The thing we need most is a non italian manager. Bring in someone without that silly defensive italian mentality.
Cant see Italy hiring foreign managers. And who is there to hire?

I agree with you, but only partially.

There was nothing inevitable about this decline, particularly at a time when Italy has recovered to a fair extent its position in European club football (currently third in the ranking and with three quarter-finalists out of this season's 16 clubs in the last 8 of both competitions).

What was inevitable - as I have been saying for over a decade when I first noticed it after the 2006 WC win - was the preference or bias towards i giocatori piu esperti among Serie A coaches which undermined the development of up and coming Italian players who would usually graduate to populate the bulk of the squads which play in CL and EL. That was the most devastating consequence of the Catania-case in 2004.

Undoubtedly Italy has some players who can compare with those who represent other major countries, the problem is the are fewer of them, leading to a shallower pool of talent and therefore it is less likely that you have the 2-3 outstanding players which can form the nucleus of a team that can reach at least the semi-final of the WC or EC.

I think it is safe to say that the philosophy of Serie A coaches has been changing over the last few seasons which is why we are seeing more and more younger Italian players getting playing time if they are good enough. Therefore, there is reason for optimism in the medium-to-long term because the talent-level is usually pretty constant, it is the development of it where the problems can occur (like in every country).

I think the objectives for the next 18 months once the permanent coach is appointed - hopefully with a 4-year contract - should be to be ranked at least 9th among the European countries in the FIFA ranking by the end of next season in advance of the 2022 WC preliminary draw that summer and to successfully integrate the best of the current under 21 squad after they host - and hopefully win - the 2019 European Championship.

One of the major issues of this team since Conte leaving is lack of any game plan or tactical ideas. An old school manager like Ranieri may actually be helpful in this regard and I hope he gets the job, in favor of managers who only succeeded because of strong teams like Mancini.

This team lacks quality and no coach can give it quality. The one plan which could work is playing like a traditional Italian team. That means: concede very little and try to score on the counter. Di Biagio's team conceded too much to Argentina for my taste and, in general, Di Biagio's teams at under 21 level always conceded too much to the opponents so he is the wrong man in the wrong place, at any time but above all now.

The lineup Di Biagio is going to field in the game vs England is quite laughable, if rumors are confirmed. Try to save the dignity of the country, you egg-head!

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.