Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USA Coach Has Yet To Decide On His Starting Goalie
News Archive

Safe hands...Friedel and Keller (b.g.) in training (Reuters)
05/25/2002. USA boss Bruce Arena has admitted that he is still uncertain whether he will field Blackburn's Brad Friedel or Tottenham's Kasey Keller as his starting goalkeeper come America's World Cup opener against Portugal on June 5.

"If you told me to name the goalkeeper right now, I couldn't do it," said Arena, who went on to reveal that he feels equally confident about either first-rate option.

"We'll look at them in camp and continue to see who we think is in form. The problem I always have is that they're always in form. We're going to have to make a decision, and perhaps it will based on a hunch.

"There's a variety of options," he explained. "One is that we go with the same goalkeeper all three games. Two is we split them in games 1 and 2. And three is that we take it one game at a time."

The only thing certain in Arena's mind, regarding the enviable goalkeeping selection 'dilemma', is that Italia '90 and USA '94 veteran Tony Meola will definitely be going into the tournament as the team's third choice.

soccerage

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I'd take Keller....I don't know, maybe its me but I always get nervous with Freidle in the nets....I feel more confident when Keller plays goal, and that game against the Germans, without Keller, the score would have been much worse...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just watched the Holland game on tape again.

KELLER!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Whoever you pick I hope it's the wrong one ;)

Seriously, I would start Keller. It's just an intangible feeling I get when watching Keller. I think they will be more comfortable in front of him.

Good Luck, June 5th will be here before we know it.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
keller keller keller...i pick him because he plays for tottenham... :D:D:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Keller finally won the starting spot at the end of the season. He still started even after sullivan got back from injury.

I would pick Keller. Friedel makes great saves, but he can't seem to hold on to the ball. Our defense isn't good enough to deal with that.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Keller ... NO DOUBT!!!

Bruce is tryint to be a diplomat and prevent a blow up alla '98 ...

Keller is the man.

If he doesn't start June 5th, I will be surprized.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PAULMAY said:
You mean he spends most of his time on the Bench at Spurs. Friedel because he starts.
actually, he played in some games as the starting keeper for the spurs...neil sullivan was not the regular starting keeper anymore at spurs...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keller only played when Neil Sullivan was injured.
Brad has been fantastic 4 us this season, and when the rest of the team were playing like they thought we'd get relegated, Brad kept us in games all by himself.

The OPTA index shows that Brad Friedal is the 10th best keeper in the Premiership.
Kasey Keller didn't play enough games to make it onto the OPTA rankings.

But as for the USA's chances-
"USA fans are nothing if not patriotic, but will Uncle Sam be baffled by a worldwide competition that actually has other countries in it?" - Sunday Express (World Cup Supplement) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was at the Colaseum the night when Kasey (with a little help from Preki) single handedly beat a pretty strong Brazil team in the Gold Cup. It's been a no brainer for me since.

Kasey is the man.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Although I have been critical of Keller in the past, I think he is generally a fine keeper, and is better with the NT then Friedel.

But he still should have chosen a club where he could start for the entire season.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
This is based on an ESPN report which is based on unnamed sources within the U.S. National Team. It also says that Beasley will start at left midfield and Donovan will start up front:

Report: Donovan, Beasley also in starting 11
ESPN.com news services

Sources close to ESPN are reporting that U.S. coach Bruce Arena has decided to go with Brad Friedel in goal over Kasey Keller in the Americans' opening match against Portugal on June 5.

Keller didn't attend practice last Thursday after he bruised his left elbow during a collision with teammate Carlos Llamosa a day earlier, and that may have factored into Arena's decision.

The sources also reported that Arena will start Landon Donovan and DaMarcus Beasley, the United States' two youngest players against the Portuguese.

Donovon is expected to line up at forward, while Beasley will start on the left side of the midfield.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Cory, I heard the same on World Cup Tonight. I'm surprised, but really don't care one way or the other. I hope Arena wasn't just jerking their chains for a month and was either 1) truly undecided, or 2) had made his decision and told both goalies and kept the rest of us guessing becasue he wanted to.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
401 Posts
I guess it doesn't really matter, they are both great. I wonder if Keller will start against South Korea though?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Id thought that I would bring this up from the past as I was one of the few who picked Friedel over Keller. Not to rub it in but For OPs comment in another thread that he has no Idea of what Im talking about Maybe he chould pay a little more attention.:D
that goes for Hern and JureM as well. :tongue:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oh, PaulMay you joker! It was HERN that said you always got HIM thinking. I just piped up "Exactly!"

You've informed me of lots of things English etc. I was for Freidel all last summer and through the winter. I don't know what I was thinking about now, listening to the guys here who thought Keller was so much better! I should just have stuck with your view!

What was I THINKING?!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :tongue:

Oldplayer

PS. Its only hours away from kick off and I'm ready. ( Hope Bruce starts me tonight!:tongue: :tongue: I can't stand the tension watching!) BTW The NERVE of that Colocolo!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts