Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
French players are the europeans the more represented in Champions league says a technical report from UEFA based on the past 5 years.
Past year, 58 French played the CL. More than the Spanish (53), Italians (52), Portuguese (48), German (41) and Turks (36). English only get 28 representatives whereas 3 English clubs were in CL last 4.

It is great for French football as our league is pretty weak (Lyon apart). Too bad for the English though...

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Quality over quantity.

·
Administrator
52,974 Posts
Umm I would think so few teams having English players, even the English teams themselves, speaks for the lack of quality in England.

Not bashing the english, just stating the obvious. French (and Brazilians in overall have most prolly in CL) players have 30 more player then english ones, because the french players are better. Not a coincidence Sagna, Clichy, Evra et al are the fullbacks of top english sides, and not english players themselves.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I think, it has more to do with the fact that english players are hesitant to move out of england due to financial reasons than with anything related to quality or quantity for that matter. Considering that, and ignoring arsenal, you have only 3 clubs taking english players to the CL.

·
Administrator
52,974 Posts
Ignoring Inter, there is only 3 italian clubs in CL with that same argument.

And in terms of italian players abroad in the CL, there is Toni, Canna, Dessena and Rossi. Not exactly an epidemic. The rest of the italian players play in the 3 italian teams if you discount Inter as you did with Arsenal. So players playing abroad doesnt explain the difference of 28-52 in terms of english and italian players (Juve alone have around 16 italian players in the CL squad).

There are other deciding factors then playing abroad, as you can see.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
And in terms of italian players abroad in the CL, there is Toni, Canna, Dessena and Rossi. .
Please don't insult the great Daniele by confusing him with that tosser with a bastardised version of his name. ;)

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
How many Brazlians are in the CL? Thats the real question ;)
Well actually the reason question would be, "how many of those french players are africans" ? most Spanish are Spanish right?

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well actually the reason question would be, "how many of those french players are africans" ?
It saddens me coming from a Brazilian...You live in a multi-ethnic country such as mine. Your people have african and portuguese decent. Do I make any statement if their ancestors are African or Portuguese. Do Kaka and Ze Roberto look like they come from the same country?

But they are....
End of discussion.

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
Imagine how much better Ligue 1 would be, and how much better their clubs would fare if these French players would go back to France.

Because you see, Almost all English and German players are representing their own nation's clubs.

·
Registered
45,347 Posts
Imagine how much better Ligue 1 would be, and how much better their clubs would fare if these French players would go back to France.

Because you see, Almost all English and German players are representing their own nation's clubs.
That's true, but, arguably, the reason a lot of the French players reached that level is because they went abroad in the first place. France won the WC in 1998 with players like Zizou and Deschamps who improved at Juve, Djorkaeff at Inter, Thuram at Parma, etc.

·
International
9,526 Posts
It is great for French football as our league is pretty weak (Lyon apart). Too bad for the English though...
Its not leading to much though, is it? The French club sides, as you've pointed out, aren't achieving anything in European competition, and your national side is average on recent results (although probably better than ours if that means anything to you). Not really anything to get too excited about from the Frenchies perspective:smileani: It just shows that French players are more likely to follow the gravy train outside their own country:pp

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Italy aswell to an extent
The Italians-to-abroad movement was mainly a result of Calciopoli, as they won the world cup with a squad of all domestic players just before then. The Italian league is at the moment trying to recover in terms of getting new talents to come or stay in the league.

France, on the other hand, built their golden team on a lot of Italian league-developed players. For example, Zidane, Trez, Thuram, Djorkaeff were all players developed in the Italian league. So the comparison isn't really valid to a large extent.

·
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
3,512 Posts
Its not leading to much though, is it? The French club sides, as you've pointed out, aren't achieving anything in European competition, and your national side is average on recent results (although probably better than ours if that means anything to you). Not really anything to get too excited about from the Frenchies perspective:smileani: It just shows that French players are more likely to follow the gravy train outside their own country:pp
I'd say the national team's problem is Domenech and not a lack of quality players.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
It saddens me coming from a Brazilian...You live in a multi-ethnic country such as mine. Your people have african and portuguese decent. Do I make any statement if their ancestors are African or Portuguese. Do Kaka and Ze Roberto look like they come from the same country?

But they are....
End of discussion.
WHA????????
I meant players like Vieira who are born somewhere else! Kaka and Ze Roberto were born in Brasil!

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
That's true, but, arguably, the reason a lot of the French players reached that level is because they went abroad in the first place. France won the WC in 1998 with players like Zizou and Deschamps who improved at Juve, Djorkaeff at Inter, Thuram at Parma, etc.
But then you check out Germany, who, albeit not winning any cups, were 2nd in WC'02, 3rd in WC'06 and 2nd in Euro '08, all with a maximum of 3 Non-Bundesliga players all the way.

Same with Italy. How many Non-Serie A players won the World Cup in 2006?

·
Administrator
52,974 Posts
There was no such thing as a NT player who plays abroad in the WC squad or prior to it. Some only went abroad because of the financial collapse and PR scandal of the calciopoli. Suddenly you had several quality players who went abroad to get the big bucks they couldnt get at home as much.

And France never had a big league with established clubs and big traditions or such (pretty young league). So its totally understandable all their best players went abroad, and still do. And as Firdaus already said, going overseas improved their football culture.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I do believe there is a limit in France on non-EU players. That helps, especailly as they cannot attract players from the big 3 leagues. Only Lyon and Marseille are big pulls to foreign players, and with France having 3 teams qualifying its natural that they'd have a high amount of French players.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts