Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Figo tends to take the corners.

Free kicks are different. It depends on the situation. If a crossed free kick is needed, it is usually Figo. Carlos does the the piledriver long shot. Otherwise, either Figo or Hierro take the free kicks, if a shot needs to be curled around or over the wall or something.

What an embarressment of riches, that Zidane hardly ever gets a go!

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I remember we had a big problem with the corners, before Figo arrived:eek: Remember the 99/00 season, when we waisted 90% of these set pieces, because nobody in the team could do them properly? I remember Roberto Carlos, McManaman, Salgado, Savio... everyone tried from time to time, and everyone SUCKED:eek: It was a nightmare, and Figo was our saviour (one of the many forms of deliverance he offered us last season:proud: ).
Nowadays he's still the man for the job, but the level of his corners has slightly dipped this season I feel.

Free-kicks are between the 3 guys mentioned, with Hierro taking a very rare part in them. Why I do not know:embarass: Zidane should also try and butt in more often, while Roberto Carlos should seriously consider a lengthy vacation. He's damaging the wall with amazing intensity, but that's not the purpose in football.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
labas said:
...with Hierro taking a very rare part in them. Why I do not know...
Seems Hierro's freekick (along with RC) simply ain't as 'effective' as before I think, therefore went down the packing order.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
After the Sporting-Real game (2-2).. Carlos scored a FK. I think it was him who said, that good free-kick takers try to injure the wall 1st, to show them what it feels like when they get in the way of his free-kicks. And then score on the 2nd one.

I think Zidane should defeinitly take more, and if it's JUST outside of the area, Raul should take 'em.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Are you sure? I mean, Raul hasn't take a free kick .. for more than 2 seasons!! He needs a lot more convincing before he can take it again..

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think Roberto should be limited to the further ones, and occasioanlly the closer ones, but this should be for Zidane or Figo (alternating).

Hierro is still awesome in these, but it a spoil of the riches, i don't see Hierro taking much more of these.

I only saw Raul take 2 free-kicks, one he scored and it was an amazing goal against Celta a few years ago.

Corners are for Figo usually, and occasionally Zidane or RC (if Figo isn't playing)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I thought that when McManaman signed on, the corners improved. He, Figo, and Guti were the only ones to take corners from either side (effectively). Figo corner duties were to be limited (I believe to pounce on passes or loose balls),but I see he's taking 90%!! Corner kicks is now a lost art!! The skill isn't displayed often.
Raúl doesn't take many free kicks because he is move effective as a finisher. ZZ should be taking more frees, but hasn't.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
err.. sorry Raul17, I don't see Macca took most of the corners. In fact he was better at most stuff than this one. I do agree his height could give him an advantage in heading in goals but in this area, he had never achieved much too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
cliffordil said:
err.. sorry Raul17, I don't see Macca took most of the corners. In fact he was better at most stuff than this one. I do agree his height could give him an advantage in heading in goals but in this area, he had never achieved much too.
In the 1999-2000 season (his first year at Madrid), he was taking most of the corners with Guti. Macca who take those from the right side, Guti the left, and then he was taking both corners when Guti wasn't in the line-up. Last season, Figo took majority of the corners. The technical staff didn't want Figo to take corners anymore, but couldn't find a replacement (Macca was on the bench!) Like most British footballers, Macca had a decent cross pass, and I guess this translated well for corners.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I dont think ZZ is held back as much as some of you might think, he gets the chance quite often at FK's. And thats a good thing cause he has deadly accuracy :)

Figos FK's anc Corners have gone down just as much as his general form has from last season. Iam not sure, but it quite safe to say Luis has had an dissapointing season and has definetly been in the shadow of ZZ.

·
Banned
110 Posts
figo hasnt been all that productive with his freekicks this season, his injury and poor form maybe the reason why...but for freekicks i think zidane should be given chances more often, he has superb accuracy and good power from just outside the penalty box, his curl isnt as powerful and accurate as r.carlos's or figo's is, but he can do it well...(remember his spectacular freekick vs spain in euro2000? :eek:)

roberto carlos has awesome power, but little control, and cant get the ball high enough, result is usually that 5/10 of his freekicks bounce right off the wall or stay low. however, his long range passing and shots are excellent, so he could be useful for that.

but for freekicks, figo will always be first choice since he has the best ability to score or use a freekick productively then either zidane, r.carlos or hierro.

for corners...again, figo. roberto carlos isnt too bad either though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts