Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've listened to their single Matinee...kinda catchy...

And having seen a few reviews which were very decent hardly any lows scores or reviews for it if any.

So I justed wanted the opinion of anyone that has the album on the board and their opinion of the album...opinion seems to be that they are the British answer to The Strokes...

anyways...opinion please...:)

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
I don' think they have much to do with the Strokes.... a lot to do with Gang of Four and post -punk generally.

Liked Take Me Out but the rest of the album leaves me cold..... The British music press thinks they're the second coing though...

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
I've seen the comparisons in the media aswell calling Franz Ferdinand the British The Strokes but I don't really see it.

I really like the album alot. :) There are so many great danceable tracks. 'Dark of the Matinée' and 'Take Me Out' are just two of them, but then there's also 'Auf Achse' and 'Michael'. The first track 'Jacqueline starts off pretty slow but then it just takes off when the bass sets in and there's a lot of staccato guitars thorughout the entire album. Only track sticking out a bit is 'Cheating on You'. It's a good and well rounded album.

They remind me abit of Madness somehow. :)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I hate their stupid image. They move like práts when they play guitar. I don't really like their music either. The start of Take Me out is ok, but I think they're cráp overall. I hope this type of cráppy music doesn't become the norm.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Most over-rated band of the moment.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Well I thought FF where really nice in the beginning. Darts of Pleasures and Take me out was both really nice singles. Especially Take me out.
However I got tired of them really really soon. There's really not much going on beneath the surface. To much brain, to little soul.

And NME sucks elephant donkey. :)

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I think they're alright. :undecide:

I've heard their album a good few times at work, and a few of the tracks stick in my head.

I wouldn't buy the album though.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so album good or bad?...I'm now apprehensive due to all the comments...hehe...:D

Ahhh fúck it I'll just buy it anyway...:D

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I wouldn't have these in the same category as the strokes, I'll pass on the album.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Well I haven't got round to listening to that. Different folks, Different strokes, ye know?

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
I think bands like Franz Ferdinand,Interpol,BRMC,QOTSA,Strokes etc are what's wrong with the rock form in our days.They are good and cool bands with nice tunes and all but the problem is that there's just nothing exciting about them,atleast IMO

We've heard it ALL when it comes to guitars and people rave about the same things recycled every year(the new VU,the new MBV,the new Joy Division etc)..i still like listening to new garage/indie/post punk etc bands and i like many of them but just in a "strictly entertainment"kind of way

I mean if i have to choose between these bands or Bran Van 3000,Avalanches,Basement Jaxx,Neptunes etc i'd go for the last ones in a second.This is the exciting pop/rock of our days

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
spAd! said:
I think bands like Franz Ferdinand,Interpol,BRMC,QOTSA,Strokes etc are what's wrong with the rock form in our days.They are good and cool bands with nice tunes and all but the problem is that there's just nothing exciting about them,atleast IMO

We've heard it ALL when it comes to guitars and people rave about the same things recycled every year(the new VU,the new MBV,the new Joy Division etc)..i still like listening to new garage/indie/post punk etc bands and i like many of them but just in a "strictly entertainment"kind of way

I mean if i have to choose between these bands or Bran Van 3000,Avalanches,Basement Jaxx,Neptunes etc i'd go for the last ones in a second.This is the exciting pop/rock of our days
Interpol and BRMC are blatant rip off merchants. The Strokes, FF and QOTSA are derivative, very much so, but I still think they put out some decent new music especially Queens.

I don't agree with the notion that Bran Van 3000 , Neptunes and the Avalanches are the highlight of modern pop - I think they have very very mixed output in terms of quality - maybe some original stuff but dubious quality control IMO.

BUT that said give me the VU over the Srtokes, Joy Division over Interpol, Jesus and Mary Chain over BRMC any day of the week, maybe even vintage Stooges over Queens of the Stone Age.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
spAd! is ofcourse right but I was slightly spooked out by the names you put forward as the alternative...:D but each to his own.

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with ripping off old greats if it means good music.. as long as the music has heart and soul. For example, it would ridiculous to deny that Interpol's new album does not have a feel and a sadness of its own. The ache in that singers voice is not the same as Ian Curtis', even though he copies alot from the latter musically. As for The Strokes, other than completely ripping off some VU riffs and doing the Lou Reed thingo, in essence their music is very different (and also happens to suck ass lately).

So if you mean a lack of inventiveness in contemporary rock, you always have the likes of Xiu Xiu, Modest Mouse (I got the new record, it rules), Microphones, Yo La Tengo... you even have weirdoes like the Flaming Lips for god's sake :)

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
While Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, BRMC etc are definitely inspired or even ripping off old great I don't think it's fair to say they're what's wrong with rock today. They're still putting out some damn good music. However, I do think there are to many The Strokes-clones out there. They succeeded in going back to garage rock and now there's too many sounding and looking the same.

What's wrong with rock is Creed, Nickelback, Limp Bizkit, etc.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
You can only do so much in music without ripping someone off. I mean if you listen to a band like Jet, it's clear that they are rippin of some Ac Dc guitar sounds, but it's hard not to do this as you can only get so many sounds out of guitars, bass and drums. I think different instruments have to be used to create some new style.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
You can only do so much in music without ripping someone off.
...which is precisely the attitude that is bringing about this musical decline we speak of. That said, I do agree that music develops with a balance of old influences and new styles. Its not like everything that had to be done in music has already been done. All of a sudden some random band may come up with something completely out of this world and groundbreaking like Loveless or Aeroplane. It will keep happening beyond the mainstream, regardless of the Stainds and the Creeds that litter the top 40 rock charts. ;) Because you have bands that are committed to making good music without selling out. One could say that The Strokes started off in that way, but various things happened to them - first they were hyped out of proportion, then they got Godriched. Same with Pavement (although I kinda liked Terror Twilight :D). Interpol are releasing a new album this year... lets just hope that 1. it measures up, and 2. that they value their artistic merit ahead of commercial success :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts