Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could clear up if Francis Benali is an Arab, because his surname is an Arab name Ben Ali (Son of Ali)

Is he of Arab origin?

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Sorry no idea.

Try the Official Saints website.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Well I have sent a text to my mate who is a Saints fan about this.

He may know as he knows some pretty obscure stuff :confused: (plus he is a hardcore train spotter! :howler: )

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Ahh, Benali ;).

One of the worst Prem players of all time ;). I still remember him from yonks ago in my Premier league sticker book. (93/94 :/). He likes an own goal or two aswell :).

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I thought Benali was alright. Southampton had some pretty legandary defenders back then - Ken Moncou (sp?), Jason Dodd, Benali etc...:D

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
mutu1875 said:
I thought Benali was alright. Southampton had some pretty legandary defenders back then - Ken Moncou (sp?), Jason Dodd, Benali etc...:D
Don't forget Ulrich Van Gobbel ;) :D although he may of been more of a midfielder :confused:

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
And don't forget the "Senengalese international" Ali Dia too. His signing was one of the most hilarious events in world football, ever. :howler: :howler:

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
I don't know. I do know, though, that he co-owns a Bangladeshi restaurant.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Bastin said:
I don't know. I do know, though, that he co-owns a Bangladeshi restaurant.
Where?

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Kuti's Brasserie, in Southampton.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
mutu1875 said:
And don't forget the "Senengalese international" Ali Dia too. His signing was one of the most hilarious events in world football, ever. :howler: :howler:
Why? :confused:

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but he was supposed to be a good player, but actually,well, he wasn't at all! :D

I think it was all a scam or something? :confused:

Just like when a striker from somewhere in the Americas called Milton Nunez went to Sunderland if anyone remembers that? :D

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Stu's right. It was all a scam and Dia was signed after he got his mate to phone up Graeme Souness and pretend to be George Weah and say that Dia was his cousin and a Senegalese international who had scored twice in his last international and that they had played together at PSG. All of which was a complete lie and Dia was just some amatuer footballer, but none-the-less he was signed on trail by Southampton.

His big chance came when Matt Le Tissier was injured after 32 minutes of a match against Everton and Dia came on to replace him. It soon became clear, however, that Dia was not the player that Souness thought he was, or indeed, a player at all! Having chased the ball around for 53 minutes without actually getting involved at all, he was himself substituted and promptly released from the club.

It later transpired that it was not George Weah on the phone but a mate of Dia's! Souness' reaction to this news was 'Well, he sounded like George Weah!' If I remember correct he then disappeared, before appearing for Gateshead breifly, and opening a Bangladeshi restraunt called Kuti's Brasserie, in Southampton. ;)

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Almost a bigger fraud than Fabian DeFreitas claiming to be a footballer :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought Benali was a good player, nothing special, Ken Monkou was good, he made his debut for a team in Holland marking Ruud Gullit.

Jason Dodd is a good player also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts