Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
Unless my memory fails me, Pogba's level at the 2018 World Cup wasn't anything special. So his only real merits have been a short but very good peak at Juve. I don't think he has done enough to earn a place in an all-time eleven. I would place Deschamps instead of him, but as DM with Vieira as CM. Deschamps was a leader, a real champion. Not as flashy or skillful as Pogba, but a Deschamps - Vieira midfield is IMO better than Pogba - Vieira.

·
*the drum drum*
43,003 Posts
Pogba is shit. He has no place in such a lineup, so replace him with one of Makelele or a member of the magic square (Fernandez or Giresse).

Platini and Zidane are the two best, but incompatible together. Also, Zidane is incompatible with Henry as he rarely passed the ball to him (someone who watched France in this era would know). You choose either Platini + Henry, or you choose Zidane, not all of three of them.

A better front three, considering compatibility, is Platini + Henry & Papin. Zidane is he best individual of them all, but his individualism vs. the team player that the other three represented is simply not enough.Also, Platini laid on more assists and many, many more goals than Zidane could dream of.

Also, Varane is just a shit selection for a position with little competition.

(Any GK, but Lloris is acceptable) - Lizarazu, Thuram, Desailly, (any CB, probably Blanc) - Vieira, Makelele, Tigana, Platini - Henry, Papin

·
Registered
46,094 Posts
Definitely Blanc as CB. The back line has to be the France 1998 / Euro 2000 line.

·
Registered
17,599 Posts
For someone who started to watch footie in the early 2000s, the France all-time line-up is the most impressive to me. I know how hard these players were to play against. The debate on Platini is a bit lost on me but I appreciate Zeek's discussion about compatibility. If there is one thing that I doubt about Henry it is his compatibility with other players when he is not the main chef in the kitchen.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,923 Posts
Going with Frenchies I've seen myself:

---------------------Henry

--------Ribery---Zidane------Mbappe

--------------Vieira----Deschamps

Lizarazu---Desailly---Thuram---Sagnol

---------------------Lloris

·
Registered
56,312 Posts
i'm tempted to put the euro 2000 starting line-up.
to me, this squad was the best. most of those players coach now.
concerning the current squad, i would pick up as substitutes :
pogba, kanté, hernandez, griezmann and m'bappé.

·
Registered
46,094 Posts
For midfield, I agree with Zico. I think Vieira-Makelele-Tigana or Giresse-Vieira/Makelele-Tigana in a 4-3-1-2 looks very nice.

20 years ago, I hadn't seen too much of Tigana and couldn't begin to rate him. From many forays into Youtube, I'd say Tigana is a must. Now I think he's extremely underrated. Born in the wrong era, perhaps.

Reactions: TTM

·
Registered
15,031 Posts
ok.
goalkeeper

I remember flying on an airplane several years ago sitting alongside a couple who said that the male of the couple was Fabien Barthez's brother. He definitely bore a strong resemblance but maybe they were taking advantage of that fact. I don't even know if Barthez has a brother :D.

·
Registered
58,967 Posts
where are Just Fontaine and Raymond Kopa? especially when you have all those no-name dudes instead of them?

·
Registered
46,094 Posts
I remember flying on an airplane several years ago sitting alongside a couple who said that the male of the couple was Fabien Barthez's brother. He definitely bore a strong resemblance but maybe they were taking advantage of that fact. I don't even know if Barthez has a brother :D.
@mali might know

Could be a joke at the guy's expense. If it was Barthez himself, would you have turned down the photo opp? "Nah, I'm good". 😆

·
Registered
46,094 Posts
where are Just Fontaine and Raymond Kopa? especially when you have all those no-name dudes instead of them?
Make the case.

i'm tempted to put the euro 2000 starting line-up.
to me, this squad was the best. most of those players coach now.
concerning the current squad, i would pick up as substitutes :
pogba, kanté, hernandez, griezmann and m'bappé.
Functionally, Kanté would be fine as a starter. Who knows? Maybe the next WC will put him ahead. ;)

It seems pretty harsh to leave out guys like Trezeguet, Pires, Petit...and my Youri. 😭 Unfortunately for Djorkaeff, he was on the decline by the time 98 arrived. Still had a lot to offer but his ball retention dipped pretty drastically. Brilliant in Euro '96 though.

·
Registered
15,031 Posts
Is Kante injured or something? He got worked pretty bad yesterday.....

·
The Maestro
1,178 Posts
Pogba is shit. He has no place in such a lineup, so replace him with one of Makelele or a member of the magic square (Fernandez or Giresse).

Platini and Zidane are the two best, but incompatible together. Also, Zidane is incompatible with Henry as he rarely passed the ball to him (someone who watched France in this era would know). You choose either Platini + Henry, or you choose Zidane, not all of three of them.

A better front three, considering compatibility, is Platini + Henry & Papin. Zidane is he best individual of them all, but his individualism vs. the team player that the other three represented is simply not enough.Also, Platini laid on more assists and many, many more goals than Zidane could dream of.

Also, Varane is just a shit selection for a position with little competition.

(Any GK, but Lloris is acceptable) - Lizarazu, Thuram, Desailly, (any CB, probably Blanc) - Vieira, Makelele, Tigana, Platini - Henry, Papin
Strongly agree on several points.

I think including Makélélé we could get rid of Tigana and go for a Giresse type playmaker.

Maybe Fontaine over Papin.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts