This was originally posted by OSF and I've moved it here:
Oh my oh my!
Senegal upset France 1-0!
While watching the game, I kept thinking how this game can be inspiring to all the underdogs! We sure can learn from this Senegal team on how to deal with Portugal.
- With Zidane out, France was forced to play with an unfamiliar midfield combination that at times, looked unorganized.
- However, the main thing was that Senegal played a well strategy. With a bunker defense and congested midfield, they interrupted the attack of France time after time. Win the midfiled battle and you'll likely win the war.
- Senegal has good speed in the back, especially the two outside defenders who kept clearing the ball away instead of trying to play "cute"!
- Luck plays an important role as France hit the woodwork twice, while Senegal got the goal out of some lucky bounce.
- Use speed for counter-attack on the outside instead of keep pushing in the middle. This will be especially useful against Poland, I think.
Again, this upset is a huge boost for all underdogs. Who would have guessed that France would lose their first game?
Hern, I could only get to an ESPN2 TV for the second half, but agree wholly with your comments above from what I saw.
I also saw a French side that is very very good on offense. Very nice touch and possession even under disruptive attacks from strong defenders. With even the smallest bit of space, France created opportunities. That is scary if Portugal is similar.
Overall, it shows the importance of not "screwing around with the ball!" REGIS! Take care of business and score when you have the chance!
Replay made it even more obvious that Senagal's goal, while starting from hustle on the wings, ended up counting due to luck and a goofy rebound from the keeper.
I could only manage to get away from my desk for the last 5 minutes of the game..I followed the whole thing on www.dailysoccer.com , their "live" report ....
Wow ... All I can say really is that France now has a HUMONGOUS task in front of them.....Denmark and Uruguay are IMO even harder foes and now they know how to attack and disrupt the French...
Out of possible 9 points..they've only got 6 left and its going to be hard, not impossible, to gather all 6 !!!
The ref did an outstanding job. No 7 yard walls. No free kicks on dives. Appropriate yellow cards. He spent them wisely.
What a victory for Senegal. Can you imagine the joy sweeping that nation? It just proves how a lesser team can rise up and bite the big boys in the butt. ALL the top seeds have to check their arrogance. It might awaken the giants, and there will be no more upsets, but I don't think so. The thought of a never before winner of the tournament coming through and taking the big prize is going to build as the mighty fall. Who's next.
btw. A brilliant game by Senegal. Outsmarted the Frogs, they did.
Was it just my imagination, or did Barthez actually turn his head and look over his right shoulder as the ball was heading towards him, allowing it to bounce off his chest and into a position for Senegal to score?
I don't think Barthez can be blamed at all. The initial cross was deflected after he'd committed himself and then Petit seemed unsure whether he wanted to hit a backpass or clear it over the endline (which he should have done) and instead sent an uncatchable ball in Barthez's direction.