Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
France - Switzerland

WC2014 - Salvador - 20/06/14 21H00 - BeInSport & TF1

After we did not fall in Honduras's trap and dirty tricks. We are playing our Swiss neighbour. Usually it leads to a boring game, but this time both teams are having a new cycle.

I heard Cabaye is doubtfull for this one. Main question about Deschamps line up is still about the defense : Griezmann ? Benzema with Giroud ?

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
He should start the same squad and if Cabaye is doubtful then Sissokko should fill in.

If the team is ahead by a few goals then Pogba should force a yellow to sit out the next game instead of risking it and missing the round of 16. If goals are needed Deschamps should switch to 442 and have Benzema play alongside Giroud with Benzema slightly behind Giroud, let Benz play off of Giroud as Giroud is the better target man, he can win headers and chest it down for Benzema to do his magic.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
France is much better team, they smashed Honduras 3:0, while Switzerland has managed to beat ecuador in the last minute of the match, so i'm pretty sure in France win.

·
Registered
827 Posts
"ideally", Benzema & Giroud, but deschamps has no reason to change since it will be the same problematic than agianst Honduras; to find the key against a defensive team.
Griezmann can still be usefull at the start since his direct opponent is Liechsteiner who is maybe not at his top form and plays here in a 4-men defence when he's more comfortable in a 5-men def, I believe*. After what the Swiss central defence is not bad but not excellent and not very mobile.
Swiss team's main asset is I think the duo Inler-Berhami so Giroud is once again a solution of changing after the 60th min. if France's midfield struggle to pass Swiss mids so long balls can finally be needed. In the same time, that's true Giroud is able to play on the floor, so it's a bit reductor to him, is a bit harsh he don't play much and we can understand his discontent. But also he's an heavy-weight to finish the work against a tired defence. So that makes many points against him to play as a starter.

*like in juve; in lille he even play right-mid in a 4-4-2 if I remember well but he was younger.

So simply in the end, I agree with Madridisti19 who explained it very well in 5 lines.

But Giroud still can start, we will see, as it's Griezmann who can take advantage of a tired defence too. We.will.see.

Bon match!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Giroud starts. Deschamps obviously thought well of the evolution of the competition, game by game, one game after one. that's what I thought since Honduras but have been maybe a bit influenced by comments on tv etc. The doubt was permitted. Permitted mainly by Deschamps who know how to hide well his plans.Good management of Giroud. And good secret weapon in the match against the 2nd best team of the group (on the paper) and against Hetzfeld. Deschamps owned everybody even in France. Griezman as super sub after a good training against Honduras.
Let see what will happen in match 3, and eventually the rest of the tournament. Maybe DD has to manage with who plays in the center too despite the staff says Benzema ask for nothing. no, maybe he doesn't ask but...
finally it's a good thing that stuff, it's particularly confusing to the adversaries.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great performance ! Don't know if we will go far or not. But it is the most enjoyable display of France since 2006. They showed spirit, will and cohesion.

Tournament is already a success in my mind.

:jester::musik:

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
France back to the good old days of sweeping inferior weaklings aside. The 3 Lions should take some notes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Switzerland 2 - 5 France​

Refeere : M. Kuipers (P-B).
Attendance : 52 000
Booking : France : Cabaye (88').

Goals : Suisse : Dzemaili (81'), Xhaka (87'). France : Giroud (17'), Matuidi (18'), Valbuena (40'), Benzema (67'), Sissoko (73').

Switzerland : Benaglio (cap) - Lichtsteiner, Von Bergen (Senderos 10'), Djourou, Rodriguez - Behrami (Dzemaili 46'), Inler - Shaqiri, Xhaka, Mehmedi - Seferovic (Drmic 69'). Coach : Ottmar Hitzfeld.

France : Lloris (cap) - Debuchy, Varane, Sakho (Koscielny 66'), Evra - Sissoko, Cabaye, Matuidi - Valbuena (Griezmann 82'), Giroud (Pogba 63'), Benzema. Coach : Didier Deschamps.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should have been 6-2. No way a ref would have stop the action like that if the score was 1-1.

Except the last 10 min of the game were they had lack of concentration, it was a perfect game. Almost wrapped and packed after 15 min of game. The pen could have killed the game. Benz saw he pen stopped but what a miss from Cabaye just after lol.

So what worth this Swiss team ? Imo a load of good players, playing top clubs but not playing together as a team like France did yesterday. Lichsteiner lost severals ball by a lack of teamwork with his winger. A keeper far below his teamates too.
The fourth goal was a school goal that should not be seen on this level.
They had quality in the midfield too, we let them coming and shoot in front of Lloris too often whithout defending on the ball owner though. A part from that great defense. Sakho tackling as last man. :proud:

On our side, i was first surprised that Deschamps dropped Pogba. But Cissokho was great. Helping to block the right side when Valbuena was heading to the center.
Sakho injury did not even scare me. Koscielny, and Mangala. We have depth at that position and we tested them already.

Next game : Cabaye suspended. Pogba tried to earn his yellow too. I believe Deschamps will make a good turnover. Sakho rested, Matuidi and Benzema too.

Anyone saw Wiltord was not really sober in the after game on TF1 ? Coming back to his Rennes old time. :musik:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Impressive performance.

Is it already known which players are likely to start versus Ecuador? Any chance for Griezmann? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts