Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
France Football, the magazine that gives the pretigious Ballon D'Or, has strongly attacked Raúl.

The Ferrari (that's how Hierro called Raúl some time ago) has became a 2CV. The long bad form of the player has raised several questions. Raúl was the unquestionable star until one year ago. Last season, Raúl failed with worked performances, sometimes pathetic. Without inspiration, Raul seems to have lost his good moments of football. Even his place in the NT has been questioned by press and some coaches right before the Euro.

Why he is not what he used to be? There are several theories. Some say that the player is burned. He has been playing for 10 years in a high level. But if last year everyone knew about his bad physical form, this season he seems to be at 100%. Some other talk about his mentality. From 2000 to 2004, he has gone from being a superstar to just a member of a crew of "galacticos". He's surrounded by 4 "Golden Balls", while this year he wasn't even included among the 50 candidates. Besides, he has lost his power in the dress room, despite being the captain. He's not a leader in the team anymore and players like Ronaldo and Zidane won't follow the "instructions" of a player.

Raúl has difficult relationships with the president Florentino Pérez and deep disagreements. In the Morientes case, Raúl thinks that his friend has been mistreated. He has discussed it with the president. They faced each other during the celebration of the 2003 title. Besides, another Raul's friend, Fernando Hierro, suffered the consequences of that strange celebration. There are rumous that say that Florentino told him: 'Bring me a cheque and I'll let you leave Madrid'.

The role of the player has changed with Ronaldo's arrival. He has less goal chances and he has even played as midfielder this season!!

Although his performances are not as successful as they were before, his attitude is unquestionable, combative, fighting with no rest, sacrified on the pitch. Although he's less inspired, he's an dinamic element in the team, as he showed it against Roma in the Bernabeu, when they were losing 0-2 and they finally won 4-2. Without Raul, Real Madrid would be out of the Champions League.

Patrick Barembach - France Football

http://www.marca.com/edicion/noticia/0,2458,571168,00.html
http://www.as.com/articulo.html?d_date=20041212&xref=20041212dasdaiftb_12&type=Tes&anchor=dasftb

·
Registered
494 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Although his performances are not as successful as they were before, his attitude is unquestionable, combative, fighting with no rest, sacrified on the pitch. Although he's less inspired, he's an dinamic element in the team, as he showed it against Roma in the Bernabeu, when they were losing 0-2 and they finally won 4-2. Without Raul, Real Madrid would be out of the Champions League.

[/url]
I agree with that. Personally I think it's ronaldo's arrival that broke down raul. He had to play a little out the box, and that slimmed his changes, as Raul is not a great dribbler with the ball, but more of a finisher. But I still think Raul is capable of regaining his old form (Roma). I think Raul should start going deep, but most of the time you see him in midfield trying to get the ball. Anyway I don't know if you guys noticed last matches. When R9 scored he dropped back to play behind Raul, while raul went deep.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
i actually think hes burnt out. Only partly agree with ronies arrival. as he played really well that season ronnie arrived. Not scoring that many goals but playing great in the midfield. His down of form appeared since hes been in hospital with his appendix.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
---------Raul-----------
--------Ronaldo---------
----M-I-D-F-I-E-L-D----

Ronaldo running at defenders and Raul as an out/out striker?

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Primitivc said:
---------Raul-----------
--------Ronaldo---------
----M-I-D-F-I-E-L-D----

Ronaldo running at defenders and Raul as an out/out striker?
As a Barcelonista, I can only hope for Remon to do this;)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I agree, put him in midfield. He has always had a geat understanding with Zizou so Garcia should try to expand that.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
he is burned out and he needs a break.
he does not have a good relationship with perez and the day that he will leave is not far... :(

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Raul is washed up, let him leave!
Plays up-front and his goal return is shocking
:skull:

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
He is not washed up, you fake Madridista.

Raul, simply put, needs a break. The guy turned 27 years old this summer, he is still fairly young. I say we just give him a month off to figure things out. Why not?

Just give him a break.

·
Registered
77 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
Raul, simply put, needs a break. The guy turned 27 years old this summer, he is still fairly young. I say we just give him a month off to figure things out. Why not? [\QUOTE]

The last time a coach sat him out, the rumor was Raul got together with others and have him forced out. How you figure to sit him down for a month??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Break?

Get Real, ship him out.

2 LEAGUE Goals, great is it not?

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Tony Montana said:
Break?

Get Real, ship him out.

2 LEAGUE Goals, great is it not?
Is all you do around here is bitch and moan about how we suck and our midfield sucks, we wont win crap bla bla bla? Get a grip man and stop being such a freaking buzkill.

I dont know whats the deal with Raul. His problem now is that he just doesnt stand out anymore, i mean, its not like he f***s up every ball he gets or looses poesession that much. How do you guys expect him to score like he used to when he has to defend even more than our midfielders? He tracks back and defenders more than any forward i have ever seen, he needs to stay up and just be more selfish.

He had some moments of his old self, like the Roma or Bilbao games but he just hasnt been consistently his old self and i really believe he will do it. Hes way too good not to.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Raul still shows flashes of his brilliance, don't just look at his goals record, look at all the little things he does on the football pitch that go unnoticed.

When we were 0-2 down against Roma at the Bernabeu facing CL elimination, who rallied us to a 4-2 win?

Raul is the heart and soul of Madrid and I will stick with him through thick and thin. Off-form? That's ok, he will come good sooner rather than later or he should just take a break.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
IMO the best thing to do, is give him a few weeks rest. He needs to freshen up, and once he does that, he should show his brilliance on a bigger scale.

Giggsy for United was shite a month ago. He got rested by fergie for 2 weeks, and in the last 3 games, he has been awesome. Same thing happened with Cristiano last year when he got rested for 3 weeks. Once he came back, he was our best player for the 2nd part of the season.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
I honestly don't think that the article actually "attacked" him at all. It all seems very common-sense writing. Nobody can deny (not even his biggest fans) that his form has dropped a lot... this article is just trying to outline some possible reasons for it.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
zyad said:
I honestly don't think that the article actually "attacked" him at all. It all seems very common-sense writing. Nobody can deny (not even his biggest fans) that his form has dropped a lot... this article is just trying to outline some possible reasons for it.
true.
and i think the 2 most obvious reasons are:
1. he is now playing in a team full of "stars" so he "shine" little less.
2. he is 27, there you have it. by the time he was 25 he already anything in the europe level, several times. just think about it, it is hard to stay at top level for a long time. very hard.

i realy love raul the person and i want the best for my team and for him.
if the best for him is to depart to another team and look for a new "adventure" - then he has my "blessing".
anyone who is saying perez will never sell him doesn't realy know perez.
as the article qouted, if, for example roman abramovich, will come with a 100M check, do you think perez will not sell him? and at that point, as much as raul like real madrid, for him, it could be the opporunity to leave the club and become a legend in another team. think about that.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Raul <-> RVN next Summer? Possible? Ferguson and Capello are big admirers of Raul. He has gone down a notch for sure. Age is on his side and he has all the experience in the world so there is no problem regarding that. Maybe he needs to re-evaluate himself with regards to how to merge into this team and be potent as well. The merging hasn't been smooth IMO.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts