Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chairman of the French League, Frederic Thiriez, has confirmed the use of video evidence is close to being realised.

Thiriez has been a fan of the technology for some time and has been working on a plan to bring in video replays for almost three years.
The LFP boss claims he has the backing of the majority of referees, coaches and players and is ready to conduct tests on its feasibility.

"The use of video will become inescapable," he told L'Equipe. "I have been working on that since November 2002, the night we made a first experience with micro and earphones for the referees.
"The referees' points of view reinforce my ideas. We have to reach that. The paradox is everyone has video, but the referee!"

Thiriez admits the use of video evidence will not eradicate all wrongs in the game, but claims the move can only benefit football as a whole.
"Even if it won't settle all the trouble, there will be fewer mistakes," he added. "The opposition comes mainly from football institutions, not from people on the pitch - the referees, the coaches, the officials and the players.

"They say video could slow the game's fluidity. That is why I have been working with referees for several months to determine how to use that help. "Today, we are ready.

"The main referee will be alone to be able to ask for video. We selected three cases: Did the ball cross the line? Did the foul take place in the area? Was the goal scored with a handball?

"The fourth referee will have a monitor and use it when the main referee asks for it. It needs five or 10 seconds. We have done the tests.
"For the moment, we won't study offsides.
"We will make our first experience during the Trophee des Champions on July 27."

Source taken from newspaper l'équipe.
--------------------------------------------------------

I am really curious how can it work. 10 seconds is a short time, but enough to make a stadium completely crazy.I wonder if the players won't contest all the decisions...

Do you thinks it is a good idea ?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
it will take more than 10 seconds IMO
but this is a good idea
i agree it should only be the ref to decide wether or not the video is asked.

·
Registered
56,293 Posts
if it works for rugby, why not for football?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
mali said:
if it works for rugby, why not for football?
So, so many things work in rugby that will never work in football, like players having respect for the ref and such.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
so true unfortunately :(
having played rugby when i was young, that is clearly something i'll never understand about football players (and one of the reason why i don't play football in a club)

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Video review is good. It does a bit more than 10 seconds.

Video review exists in the NHL (used mostly to check whether a player which has scored a goal was in the goalie's crease). The main official can ask for the video review (they call it "to go upstairs") and then the video review official telephones down what he has seen on the slow motion replay. However, regardless of what the video review official says, it's up to the main official to make the decision. The video is just an advisory.

However video won't help for offsides (sure you can maybe disallow a goal that was scored after seeing that the play was offside, but what do you do about plays that are not offside but are stopped due to linesman error? video can't help there, really) but for things like fouls, penalties, red cards, handballs...sure.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
I just hope its not like the NFL replay review where the ref puts his head in that box and it takes him like 2 minutes and sometimes longer to make a decision, but sometimes even video replay doesnt work aka Brett Hull scoring game winning stanley goal while his skate was in the crease.

·
Registered
56,293 Posts
dubh-ban said:
So, so many things work in rugby that will never work in football, like players having respect for the ref and such.
what i do like in rugby. it's the "haie d'honneur" at the end of the match from the lose side to the win side. i say respect :thmbup:

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Andrija PFC said:
However video won't help for offsides (sure you can maybe disallow a goal that was scored after seeing that the play was offside, but what do you do about plays that are not offside but are stopped due to linesman error? video can't help there, really) but for things like fouls, penalties, red cards, handballs...sure.
Offsides should be taken care of this way:
if the linesman raises the flag, the referee should just let the play on. If at the end of this action, no goal is scored or no penalty, corner kick, free kick or throw in is awarded for the team that was supposedly caught offside, the referee should not interrupt the game at all, because the team that was supposedly caught offside, didn't benefit from it. However, if this is not true, the referee should consult the 4th referee and if offside is confirmed, free kick should be awarded to the team that caught the opposition off-side.
It's really simple.

Anyway, :thmbup: for the French FA for such ideas that should bring more justice to football fields.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
mali said:
what i do like in rugby. it's the "haie d'honneur" at the end of the match from the lose side to the win side. i say respect :thmbup:
Yes, and the way two 2-metre monsters will thump one another upside the head for five minutes and then shake hands, or an entire stadium will go completely silent when a kick is being taken (although that's as much about intimidation as respect :D)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Let's hug hands :D

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"The main referee will be alone to be able to ask for video. We selected three cases: Did the ball cross the line? Did the foul take place in the area? Was the goal scored with a handball?
Do you think it would be a good help for the liverpool - Chelsea game ? Even looking several times with different camera angle, i am not even sure to make a good decision. And it would not last less than 10 seconds...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i don't think it would have helped much in that game
but it will help in plenty other case IMO

·
Registered
56,293 Posts
with video, lyon would have been in semi and would have beat milan yesturday;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts