Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone care to give me an update on how the following players are doing in their club teams:

Kim Källström - Rennes
Andreas Isaksson - Rennes
Alex Farnerud - Strasbourg
Pontus Farnerud - Monaco

If anyone had the time to do so I would appreciate it :)

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Kim Källström - Rennes : 19 games played 1 goal
He has had a very good half-season last year, when he arrived from DIF. Scored somes goals, and gave somes great assists.The team ended the season very well.
This season Källström is not very lucky, when he is not ill, he is injured and when is not injured he is ill. IMO Kim has shown only his talent in only fews games this season. And only when he is really playing high on the pitch just behind his striker (Frei). That is where we can see his class, his vision of the game...

Andreas Isaksson - Rennes : Has played all the game of Rennes so far this season (even slightly injured :googly: )
In my opinion Isaksson can alternate the good and the less good. Great and decisive saves in somes games, and somes incomprehensible mistakes or bad choice. Well, i think he is class but he has to become more regular which his needed to approach the very high level.
Well, of course most of us compare him with Cech, what allow him only few errors.

Alex Farnerud - Strasbourg : 19 games played 2 goals.
I have not see a lot from him. Look like he has become a regular starter for his team... who is struggling against relegation. But Strasbourg will play the final of the cup league. Thanks to him ;)

Pontus Farnerud - Monaco 16 games played. Starting 10. As subtitute 6 - 1 goal.

I won't help you much with him either :frownani: . But he seems to be the perfect subtitute for Deschamps.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much Fobal Klub (damn that's a strange name, do you have some "real" name I can use instead? :D ).

I wouldn't mind if you posted in this thread when you watch them play.

Sad to hear Källström having a hard season, but I'm not that surprised really. He has played poorly in the National Team when he has been picked over Anders Svensson and he's always been better going forward than staying back, which if I get you right, is what he has to do now?
I'm not that familiar with Rennes, what tactic do they use and in what position do they use Källström nowadays?

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Thank you very much Fobal Klub (damn that's a strange name, do you have some "real" name I can use instead? ).
I know that is a strange nickname :D but now i am used to it.My name is Patrick :)

I'm not that familiar with Rennes, what tactic do they use and in what position do they use Källström nowadays?
Most of the year we have played a kind of 4 - 5 - 1. Källström usually played as offensive mildfielder just behind the striker (Alexander frei).

A short article about Alexander Farnerud

Strasbourg : A.Farnerud monte enfin en puissance
17 février 2005 - 15 h 15 -

Le Suédois, Alexander Farnerud, se montre enfin à la hauteur de son potentiel cette saison avec Strasbourg. Le jeune milieu de terrain sait que beaucoup d’espoirs sont placés en lui, mais « entrevoit le bout du tunnel » depuis quelques mois.

Le joueur de Strasbourg, Alexander Farnerud, a pris de l’importance cette saison. Depuis son arrivée à l’intersaison 2003, le Suédois n’avait pas démontré toutes ses qualités mais son temps d’adaptation est enfin arrivé à terme. Depuis qu’il évolue derrière les deux attaquants, Niang et Pagis, le jeune milieu de terrain (20 ans) se sent davantage épanoui. « J’ai vécu de mauvaises passes auparavant, surtout lorsque les critiques se sont accumulées, alors que j'avais besoin peut-être de quelques encouragements. Mais je me sens bien depuis quelques semaines. J'entrevois le bout du tunnel. » annonce l’international Espoirs.
In short it say that Alexander after a first difficult year, his time of adaptation comes to a end and since he is playing behind two strikers (Niang and Pagis ) he has found his place. "i can see the end of the tunnel" as he said himself.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for translating the article Patrick(which you from now on will be called :) ),
my french isn't very good at all I'm afraid.

Farnerud got a lot of talent but need more strength in my opinion, need to do the simple things a little more often. But his time in France will probably turn him into something big...I hope.

As for Källström playing as the attacking midfielder in 4-5-1 I can only believe he's doing quite well considered he always seems more happy going forward than backwards.
In Djurgården(his swedish side before joining Rennes) he played in a 4-3-3 formation often as the centre midfielder which meant he had to take a big responsibility both with the defensive and offensive sections. He seemed to manage this pretty good although he tended to be moved higher and higher up on the pitch during his 3 years in Djurgården.
In Sweden he's a good player despite he's playing as attacking midfielder or defensive midfielder due to his suberb eye for the game, creative-skills and ball-controll but internationally he hasn't been as succesfull. This most likely because of his pace and acceleration, which aren't the greatest.

Have you seen any signs of him developing his pace and/or acceleration since he arrived in Rennes?

Because as it is now he's one or maybe even two notches too slow to become a succesfull international star and take over Anders Svensson's role as attacking midfielder in the Swedish National Team...

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Bump !

Sorry, for not making an update of it earlier.

Andreas Isaksson 34 games played in the league on 34.

I think he can improve on the air balls. But he is good on his line.
Rennes is having a good second part of season. Second team of the return games after Lyon, and with 4 games left can still earn an european spot.

Kim Källström 27 games played on 34. 4 goals. One assist.

Finally Källström has ended with his health problems and is having a pretty good end of the season, like Rennes in overall and he is not a stranger with that. He scored somes goals, and is more decisive in the game.

Have you seen any signs of him developing his pace and/or acceleration since he arrived in Rennes?
He may have improved slightly, but i think he is a kind of player who, even if being slow, with a great vision of the game and a good pass skill can still accelerate the game and be decisive, even for the Ligue 1. A great player to watch though.

Alexander Farnerud. 28 games played Half of them as starter. 2 goals.

I think he is stable in the starting line-up for now.He won the League cup yesterday, and so will play in UEFA cup next year. Even if Strasbourg is still struggling against relegation.

Pontus Farnerud. 22 games played. 12 of them as starter. 1 goals.

I did not see him playing a lot. He was good against Rennes in French cup, technical and playing with great short pass. Dunno if he is very happy with his play time currently ?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Pontus Farnerud has been linked with PSG for some time...but I do not want him.

We have Cana, Cissé and M´Bami...no place for him..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
but it seems like you would want diarra ;)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Yes:) he would give us strenght! Farnerud would be a man for the bench.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hmmm, personally I think Farnerud is a very talanted and un-appreciated defensive midfielder, particularly in the swedish nt where he never features, not even in friendlies. I thought he played very well in the atumn cl-stage as well to be honest and suprised he hasnt featured lately. He's very skillful actually, though lacks directness and aggressivety. He'll leave on free transfer this summer as well I think, then I hope he joins a side that plays more of a suited ballpossesion style, way different than Monaco's current direct way of approaching the game.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gollum said:
lacks directness and aggressivety
You got it!!! Lacking agressivity when you're supposed to be a defensive midfielder? He's an average player, technical skills aren't enough... He will be good next year but in a middle class team, likehe did last season with Strasbourg. Monaco won't regret him.

Gollum said:
I hope he joins a side that plays more of a suited ballpossesion style, way different than Monaco's current direct way of approaching the game.
I'd like to know what team, in the French League, play in a more ballpossesion style than Monaco?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Calm down. I wasnt criticizing Monaco in any way, atleast I didnt mean too. I'd ´still say Monaco plays very direct and aggressive football, nothing wrong with that, it can certainly be entertaining as it was last season with Giuly and pals.

Still, I dont agree on Pontus. I still think he's a good footballer, lacking aggressivity or not he can still defend well enough imo.

·
Registered
59,183 Posts
hey there, looks like Pontus Farnerud will be joining Feyenoord on loan till the end of the season if we manage to sell Hossam Ghaly to Spurs, so how's he beendoing lately?

and the description of him not being aggressive, do I then have to think of a player who'll never make a tackle? :googly:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts